South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

Getting laid off, looking for a job - Unix System Admin

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 05:24 PM

Getting laid off, looking for a job - Unix System Admin

Yup you heard it...the company sold its subscriber base and is laying off every employee december 13th. I need to find a job that pays a minimum of 45,000 a year. Here is my resume if anyone knows of any unix or programmer positions please let me know.

Michael Vonderbecke
tentimes2@yahoo.com
407-687-6212 - Cell
2645 Legacy Villas Dr
Maitland, FL 32751

OBJECTIVE To work for a company involved in new technologies, doing Unix System Administration work, and writing code in various languages.

EXPERIENCE

Volaris On-Line - 2/01 - Present Duties: Administer over 70 Ultra Sparc Stations running Solaris 2.5.1 through Solaris 2.8. Administer many mail servers running operating systems such as Redhat Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, Irix and running mail systems such as Sendmail, Imail, Intermail, Post.Office, and Qmail. Administering multiple web servers running Apache 1.3.x. Administer the Cluster of Radius Servers which allow all 310,000+ customers to connect to the internet through ISDN, DSL, or Dialup. This includes modifying the structure of the cluster, keeping it maintained, upgrading the machines, adding new Internet Providers. Experience in NavisRadius 3.2, Livingston Radius 2.1, and FreeRadius (All of which are run on the cluster). Light router work for connectivity between the radius cluster and the NAS.
Projects: -Wrote a multi-file fully developed C program that ran Microsoft Sequel calls remotely through iODBC and used blowfish encryption to remotely and automatically delete users off of our radius cluster, mail servers, and ftp/web servers when they had been deactivated for a certain amount of time. -Writing Perl Scripts and Shell scripts to automate tasks such as adding and deleting users, communicating between servers, many forms of text manipulation, and any other various tasks that need to be handled. -Wrote a combination of Perl scripts that the entire company uses to add/modify/suspend/delete users into and out of our system. These scripts are linked to the Billing system and are called automatically when a customer subscribes or unsubscribes to our service. -Integrated all internet providers owned by Volaris into one large database of customers, roamable over the entire Southeast US. -Installing and Configuring Solaris 7/8, Debian Linux, Redhat Linux, and more, for new machines to be added to the radius cluster or for other duties such as credit card billing, or accounting. -Writing CGI Scripts (in perl) for various web pages to monitor/display information about our Radius Cluster, and do various other tasks. -Created a MySQL database to host our new radius cluster, and wrote many programs to interface with the database and the radius servers, such as a C program to authenticate users out of the MySQL database, and a perl program to provision users into and out of the MySQL database. Built the radius cluster using MySQL, Debian Linux, C, and Perl, from the ground up. The new Radius system is much faster, more reliable, and easier to maintain than the original Radius system in place at my time of hire.

Coleman Aerospace Corporation -10/99 - 2/01 Started as a contract for evaluation and was hired full time in Computer Systems. Duties: Test and deploy new workstations, servers, applications, and technologies on LAN/WAN. Troubleshoot workstations and servers and the current network setup. Design and build the company Intranet.
Projects: -Troubleshoot desktop problems for users, on the variety of machines running including Unix, NT, and 2000. -Developed from the ground up the company Intranet. Implemented technologies such as ASP, CGI, and Perl into the site and successfully deployed the intranet to the entire company. -Upgraded and tested all SGI machines running IRIX 6.4 to version 6.5.4 for Y2K compatibility. -Helped implement and deploy Trend Micro Virus protection to over 350 users. -Researched and migrated the StarTeam database between servers without losing any content. -Installed and configured Samba to run on multiple Sparc Stations and retrieve files across the network.

Convergys Corporation - 10/97 10/99
Technical Service Representative Duties: Over the phone technical support for over 250 software and hardware companies, outsourced. Supported all operating systems that were run on an Intel processor, as well as all programs that would run on an Intel processor (anything from Microsoft Office, to Windows NT Workstation, to Lotus Notes, to Deer Hunter). Lead a team of individuals into a new era of phone support based on technical requests being sent to us through the Internet.

SKILLS

OS
NT 4.0/2000(Server, Workstation), Win3.11/95/98/ME, DOS 3.0+, Solaris, Irix, Linux, BSD, MacOS (Familiar) Hardware
SCSI, IDE, RAID (Perc), FLUKE Meter, Network Appliances, PCMCIA architecture, SGI, Sun, HP Jet Direct, Bay Networks Switches ARN/ASN Modules and Accelar Switches, Cisco Routers, Lucent PortMaster Routers, Lucent TNT Max Routers.

Supported Applications and Technologies
Apache Web Server, Sendmail, Qpopper, ircd, NavisRadius, Livingston Radius, FreeRadius, MSProxy, SMS, IIS 3 and 4, Magic Help Desk, PCAnywhere, Pro/Engineer, Helix, MSOffice, Outlook, Keaterm, CRT, EDMS, Oracle/Sybase Connectivity, eProduct Designer, Exchange Server

Network Technology familiarity
TCP/IP, NFS, HTTP, NETBIOS, NETBEUI, WINS, DHCP, DNS, RRAS, SAPS, DAVE, SAMBA, SMTP Design/Programming Languages and Applications
Fluent C (Unix Environment), C++ concepts, Pascal, Basic, Sh, Csh, and Fluent Bash shell scripting, Fluent Perl, PHP, Gimp, HTML, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Flash

EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
AS in Computer Science in progress -Classes taken in C programming in a Unix Environment

ACCOMPLISHMENTS Implemented a large scale multi-language program for Duro Communications, C and Perl. The C portion of the program makes sequel calls to multiple sequel databases to retrieve customers who have been de-activated in our system for more than X number of days (specified in a parsed configuration file). It grabs all users from all the ISPs, parses the list for bad entries, and makes calls through a specific UDP port on the internet to remote servers which run a Daemon to retrieve the calls, and call a perl script which was also written by me, to delete users off of the specific Unix/Windows system, as well as deleting their home directories and mail spools. All of this is done with 100% sanity and error checking. The system runs flawlessly every night to keep old users off of our system. This was programmed from the ground up on all levels by me, in a short period of time.

Designed a Radius System from the ground up using a MySQL backend and XT Radius. XT Radius calls C++ programs that I wrote from the ground up that interface with the user database in the MySQL server, which I also designed and implemented. The tool to add/remove/suspend/modify users from the MySQL database was also written by me, in C++ and also another tool in perl. The system runs flawlessly but was never put into a full production environment as the company that I wrote it for sold out.

Programmed a console based e-mail client for linux to both send and receive e-mail using standard smtp and pop protocols. Programmed it from the ground up using standard socket functions, for my own personal use.

Successfully programmed and implemented a text based online game from the base code up (in C). Implemented unique features into the game such as AI, ASCII virtual mapping, random map generation, random object spawning, and a unique combat system; Deployed the game onto a Debian Linux server and ran it successfully for 3 months with an average user base of 30, before taking it off-line.

Running a personal home network with a multi operating system integrated environment. The operating systems include Debian Linux 3.0, Solaris 8 x86, and Windows 2000 Professional. All computers integrate with each other flawlessly and are run in sync for various internet tasks such as DNS, web/ftp serving, mailer daemon (sendmail/qpopper) etc.

BASIC ATTITUDE Honest, hard working, geeky, computer genius, love to learn anything and everything about computers, and willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:21 PM

holy crap, I'd hire you

Good luck with a job man, getting laid off sucks.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:01 AM

I think you JUST meet the minimum for assistant stocker at radio shack

good luck, hope you find something soon man
Old 10-04-2002, 10:22 AM

Mike i am going to make a phone call , i know someone was that was looking to fill a position with you skill set and he also needed someone with radius skills , but as far as anything i am looking for the the following is what i need so if there is anyone out there with this skill set let me know: I pretty much need these people for my team asap,

Database Architect I -
Designs and builds relational databases. Develops strategies for data
acquisitions, archive recovery, and implementation of a database. Must
have a strong working background of Microsoft SQL Server. Formal training
is highly prefered. Must have knowledge of commonly-used concepts,
practices, and procedures pertaining to relational database design.
Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the
functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary
job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment.

Web Software Developer -
Designs, develops, and implements software packages for web sites.
Troubleshoots, debugs and implements software code. Must have at
least 2 years of experience in the field and have knowledge of
standard concepts, practices, and procedures Relating to
SQL, VBScript, ASP, HTML, and JavaScript. Must be able to provide
examples of work. A certain degree of creativity and latitude required.

Technical Writer -
Prepares and/or maintains documentation pertaining to programming, systems
operation and user documentation. Translates business specifications into
user documentation. Plans, writes, and maintains systems and user support
documentation efforts, including online help screen. Must at least 1 year of
experience in the IT field or in a related area and possess strong written
and verbal communication skills.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:28 PM

I dont know if you already checked out monster but heres the link to all IT jobs available in the Orlando area. I checked a few of the other employment sites but no unix or IT stuff came up. Good luck man.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsear...=&sort=rv&vw=b
Old 10-04-2002, 12:58 PM

Yeah I already checked monster techies hotjobs floridajobs and brainbuzz not many unix jobs available.

Frank, thanks, if he can do anything for me have him give me a call. I'm the radius admin for our company and we have 300,000 users dialing into through my radius servers so I know a lot about it.

Mike