South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

8 hours....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 11:29 PM

8 hours....

of detailing the car

Too all of you who saw it before, it really was not dirty, especially the interior

I jsut zainoed the beast, spent most of my time clay barring the thing, about 1.5 hours, not that is was bad I wanted to make sure every square in. was perfect, so I went over the car twice and maybe washed it a good 4-5 times. Used Z5, Z6, and has a coat of Z2, thats gonna be on the car overnight, then I am going to put on another coat of Z6. I was worried it was going to be more complicated but no its very simple just pay attention. YOu can also clay bar in the dark you fo more by feel then sight.

Chuck joked that I won;t be happy I helped save a cat's life when the cat is walking on my car... I dare Pancake(unofficial name I gave him ) to try and hop on my car, his paws will slip out, and he will zip off the car in half a second it so smooth, and this is before I put the coat of Z2 on. I plan in about 2-3 days to put another coat of Z5 and Z2 on with some Z6, and Zaino the rims up.

Stuff really doesn't take much. took abotu 1 oz. of each type to do an entire camaro, and I think I laid the Z2 on a little thick, so I guess it wil be ok since I am giving it like 9 hours to dry.

I also popped the hood, and finished detailing under there, I have been armour alling everythign under there and saved the dirty painted metal for now when I washed the car, looks spotless, almost better then some of the o3 Mustangs with no miles on them at the dealership I saw. I spent a good hour or so cleaning up the interior, putting about 2-3 more coats of armour all on all the cinyl and what not I still need to vacuum but I might do that later...

My car is pretty pathetic, I actually get a bad glare off the dash onto the windshield when I drive into the sun and the was before I cleaned it up tonight.

All in good fun, if anyone knew my old car they would be shocked to know I am the owner of this new car
Old 12-12-2003, 11:50 PM

tire foam under the hood, and the plastic cowl thingy.
and the door strips. and in the door hinges, on the rubber boot thing.

flat black in the wheel wells, and tire foam the plastic shield in one of the wheel wells.

flat equipment gray on the hats of the disk rotors, and aluminum paint on the caliper brackets.

i use a wire wheel on a drill for the calipers on a LT1 car, but the LS1 cars have aluminum coating on the caliper brackets that will come off after the 2nd time (hence the repaint)

you can sand & smooth the calipers nicely, i've seen some sanded & buffed to a mirror polish.

tire foam is great, it's addictive. spray the air dam too.
meguiars high endurance (grape flavored) lasts for weeks on my tires, but slings off on the body.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:14 AM

hehe how do you know its grap flavored

I used tire foam on the tires, then some aroumour all I didn't want to get too crazy, I am driving 3 hours back up to Orlando tomorrow, gonna need a rewashing anyways...

I haven't done the caliper on this car yet they are clean enough that I am happy, I painted the ones on my 94 was easy prepping them for paint. Maybe I will paint them or polish them if I get a different set of rims...

besides I have some pland for stuff before I do all of that
Old 12-13-2003, 06:04 AM

Re: 8 hours....

Originally posted by MustangEater82

All in good fun, if anyone knew my old car they would be shocked to know I am the owner of this new car
Oh, ask me how I know. Congrats on the new car.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:41 AM

8 hours huh....adverage time for a good detail ...i love doing it i am an auto detailer though ...congrats on that car though
Old 12-13-2003, 12:25 PM

I jsut took off the Z2, didn't put on any Z6 though too busy, looks extremely wonderful! Car is so smooth, guy driving by asking if we wanted some yard work done(trim palm trees etc) stopped mid sentence and said, dang thats a shiny car.

All I have to say is...

Zaino > Zymol, or any other wax/polish
Old 12-14-2003, 10:16 PM

Where did you get it all at?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:48 PM

online, total spent about $105...

I got there starter kit and an extra bottle of Z2...

basically came with off the top of my head

bottle of Z5
bottle of Z2
bottle of Z6
bottle of there special car wash(Z7?)
2 Claybars Z18
2 applicators
ZFX accelerator

I bought the bottle of Z2 second, I was more interested in protecting the paint over the look but it does look awesome... Today with rain on it, the water beaded so beautifully, that I jizzed on the car and that beaded up too

Going ot the track wed or fri? Last days of the year. You shoudl feel the car, its actually smoother then the glass! And you can see everything crystal clear in a mirror effect off the car. I also spent a good hour under the hood cleaning some stuff up.

The stuff I listed above was a Starter kit they have for $85, personally only thing out of that I think worth cutting out is the applicators... the ZFX, maybe but you will have to wait longer between coats... BUt you use the wash, Z6, Z5 and Z2, you might be able to cut out Z5 I think its more for darker cars or if you have swirls.

I plan on putting on a couple more coats on tuesday, won't take nearly as long as the intitial process.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:50 PM

btw I got it form www.zainostore.com

I sued about 1 ounce of each to thoroughly do my Camaro. Might even beable to use a little less they, keep saying less is better.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:15 AM

Nice...

So you agree it is the best?

How is it after a rain? Does it get water spots?

Will you use it after you run out? Or will you go back to store bought stuff?

I really plan to get it, I am just curious and trust your words on it since you have used it all before like John and I.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:45 PM

well worth it imoa...

The surface of the car feels like smoother then glass, shine is deep(hope it will get deeper) I really think it was worth it and I will stick with it...

But for anyone not willing to put the work in on it, just stick with Zymol, great shine, but I doubt it protects nearly as much as Zaino.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:42 PM

So Zymol offers a better shine.. See I currently use liquid crystal.. I love it, but I love car care and like keeping the paint looking as good as new.

So you say “Zymol shines nicer.”
You say “Use Zymol if you do not want all the work”
You say “Zano should last longer”
You say “currently zano is not as deep a shine”

See I am worried it will not meet my expatiations. Liquid Crystal is come nice stuff and I like my red car shiny. I do not mind taking a few hours each week to add more polish to it so labor is not the issue.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:58 PM

err... thats not what I meant....

Zaino shines better then Zymol
Zaino has a deeper shine, but I want even deeper(gets better with coats, you can only put a few coats on in a 24 hour period)
Btw, Zaino beeds like I have never seen wax on my cars bead before.

Zymol was the best wax I used besides Zaino. Zaino take alot of work in the beging I don't think it will be too hard to maintain once done. But Zymol gave a great shine(not as good as Zaino, but its up there) and only costs $20 a bottle and its the typical, wash and wax the car scenario to prep it.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:05 PM

All this talk of detailing your car...you could at least post some pics of your masterpiece.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by BadassblackTA
All this talk of detailing your car...you could at least post some pics of your masterpiece.
yeah I know but my digital camera is a POS, not even XP compatible and had to replace my hard drive, haen't bothered to look for the driver yet.