Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

[Suggestion] Suggestions for the board...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Suggestions for the board...

I recently got on the android forum and was really impressed with a feature i saw over there.

When i went to start a new thread asking a question about the youtube app, it automatically brought up search results regarding that topic as soon as i hit 'new thread' and typed in the title.

Is there any way we could incorporate that into our forum? I think it would really help out a lot of members here find useful information without making numerous threads on the same topics.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Sort of like a "based on what you are typing, check this out..." sort of feature?

What Android forum?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 AM

http://androidforums.com/

and pretty much, i typed in 'problems with youtube app' as a thread title and it gave me suggestions for other threads along those same lines. It was really neat and helpful.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Re: Suggestions for the board...

I actually came to this section now to make a thread about this exact same feature.

I took a screenshot of another site to show:

Name:  XVJUK.png
Views: 1
Size:  52.3 KB

I see quite a few vBulletin-based boards with this feature on them now, so I'm sure there's probably a plugin that would make it quick and easy to add.

It's a really handy feature. If I had missed this thread, and reposted this suggestion, that could have possibly been prevented if the board had this feature.

I know the common thing to say is "Use the search feature", but let's face it, that's inconvenient, and people simply don't do it. But having similar results right there in their face before they make a post would save a lot of people time. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to post threads on other boards, and ended up seeing my question already answered because of this feature.

Food for thought, Jason.