Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

[How-To Question] Autostream

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Question Autostream

Can we not post how to by-pass Autostream? It appears the last thread where users were talking about their dislike for Autostream has been removed (I believe). I don't want to "walk" the line of warnings or being banned, but I'd like to know if I can post how to get around it for the members who hate that feature of the forum.

Side note, it seems that every time an "Autostream" post comes up, everyone posts that they does not like that "feature" of the forum. I've yet (on a personal note) to see someone stand up for Autostream, or to sing it's praises (besides the owner...).

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Autostream

Originally Posted by one wicked element
Can we not post how to by-pass Autostream? It appears the last thread where users were talking about their dislike for Autostream has been removed (I believe). I don't want to "walk" the line of warnings or being banned, but I'd like to know if I can post how to get around it for the members who hate that feature of the forum.
We are in a tough spot here.

Many people simply don't understand what "beta" or "in process of development" and "constructive criticism" is.

However, we FULLY understand where people are at on it. Therein lies a problem. We cannot say "We understand and are working on it" loud enough because people are shouting "it sucks remove it" too loud to hear us say it. We are not ignoring anyone. We have a Site Help and suggestions forum (thanks for being one of the few to actually post in it, rather than the Lounge) with a thread dedicated to this. If people provide input into it in a manner that we can use, we appreciate it and take it to heart. If it is just the same group of people repeating insults, and even incredibly rude accusations and downright stupid assumption like in the thread you mentioned, it has no place here and gets bumped. We won't stand for it, nor should we because if that is how people here "care" for this community, they are showing it incorrectly.

Have a look at this...
http://arstechnica.com/business/news...s-you-love.ars

If that means anything to you, I will bet you are in a tough spot, too.

Side note, it seems that every time an "Autostream" post comes up, everyone posts that they does not like that "feature" of the forum. I've yet (on a personal note) to see someone stand up for Autostream, or to sing it's praises (besides the owner...).

Thanks.
You cannot fairly base the entire community ("everyone") on repeated thoughts of a small percentage of a people.

And as far as the "owner" singing its praises...does "everyone" ever stop to consider those praises? Or are they too busy simply being rude about it? I had to delete a pointless reply out of this very thread. Funny how people suddenly use the right forum but don't bother to change their attitude to be constructive instead of disingenuous. We cannot be expected to take that seriously and if we are to make things better, it doesn't help to wade through pointless insults to find a nugget of suggestion.

We are admittedly behind on the updates we wanted to have out there by now. We aren't any happier about that than anyone else.

I think people have the wrong idea, and are simply being a bit ignorant to the goal and usage of it.

Here's the bottom line, once again.
  • It is not final.
  • We are working on things continually.
  • It will be better, and people need to be patient.
  • It is not final.
  • It is not easy. If someone thinks it is, they sure haven't stepped up to volunteer their programming talents.
  • All CONSTRUCTIVE comments are being considered and are appreciated.
  • It is not final.
Did I mention it is not final? We have a new release around the corner. It should have been done sooner, but we encountered some interesting bugs that needed to be fixed. We won't stop there. We will continue to revise and improve it, that is a promise.

Seriously...thank you for your thoughts and consideration. We appreciate it and hope "everyone" will appreciate ours as well.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Just so you know, my last reply was from my phone on tapatalk. It was listed in latest threads, and once you enter the thread it doesn't show which forum it is in, I had assumed the lounge, which is why my reply wasn't exactly helpful.

I just had a 15 minute reply typed up that I deleted because I have a feeling it would have been deleted, or taken personally, so I figured what is the point.

So I'm simply going to suggest something to try and get an answer. How about disabling autostream while it is still being worked on, and then reinstate it once there have been some significant changes done? This will eliminate the "useless insults" as you call them and leave nothing to be bitched about. Once some changes are made, enable it again to get some feedback and possibly go from there?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Autostream

Originally Posted by 5tircrazy
Just so you know, my last reply was from my phone on tapatalk. It was listed in latest threads, and once you enter the thread it doesn't show which forum it is in, I had assumed the lounge, which is why my reply wasn't exactly helpful.
Regardless of where you posted it, when you include "This thread will self-destruct in 5....4....3.....2....."
that just tells me you already know what will happen with it and that it wouldn't be helpful anywhere.

I just had a 15 minute reply typed up that I deleted because I have a feeling it would have been deleted, or taken personally, so I figured what is the point.
None of this is personal, but if we could use it as a direction for improvement then by all means, post it. Oh...and uh...please put it in the right place so we know you it means enough to you. You wouldn't take personal advice that was scribbled on a bathroom wall would you?

So I'm simply going to suggest something to try and get an answer. How about disabling autostream while it is still being worked on, and then reinstate it once there have been some significant changes done? This will eliminate the "useless insults" as you call them and leave nothing to be bitched about. Once some changes are made, enable it again to get some feedback and possibly go from there?
That's a fair question. We would do that, but since we do not have a "staging" or "pre-production" server, it would involve turning it on, then off, then on, then off...sometimes several times an hour. It would make things unstable and would very likely confuse the crap out of everyone. Plus, we cannot generate consistent feedback off something that is intermittent.

And yes, some of the comments are thoroughly useless. If you were trying to create something that you made clear was unfinished, and the same chunk of people offered nothing but rude remarks leading to outright slanderous accusations, you would call them useless too...especially when others blindly agree.

There's no class in that and we shouldn't be expected to pay attention to something that we don't feel is genuine and comes off as just someone just jumping on the bashing bandwagon because they think they are cool for it. They know who they are and it is pretty easy to figure out who it is.

Thanks for asking, though. From here on out, everyone should use the other thread for this so we can keep track of things easier and so we don't have to repeat ourselves because many questions have already been answered there. The funny part is...some of the "useless insults" were made by some of the same people who offered suggestions in that thread. See my above paragraph.

Much appreciation to you and others who are honest with their input and concerns.