Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

wheel cleaners, they all suck!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 05:33 PM

wheel cleaners, they all suck!!

I NEVER have seen one work like claimed, including with all my friends. You know the kind where it says spray on, wash off, and presto??? They are the biggest gimicks EVER. I even tried the eagle A2Z that is recomended on here, no dice. Here is what happens. I spray it on, wait for prescribed time, spray off, wheel looks the same. Hmm, the only way i can clean my wheels is with elbow grease, am i missing something here?? I mean if your wheel is black with brake dust, there is no way the spray on stuff works.

And the pont I'm making is, my wheel has little black "specs" over them and I'm assuming it is brake dust. However, i can't get them out no matter how hard i try. I tried soap and water, tire cleaning products, simple green, clay bar, polishing compound, and rubbing compound. Whats my next move??? Buy a bucket of acid and hope for the best?? Thanks, i'll get a pic later to show u my wheel.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:27 PM

(insert obligatory Zaino comment here)

Actually, in all honest truth. The Zaino carwash seems to take all of that right off. The brake dust just kinda slides off.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:09 PM

The A2Z works great for me. After two or three weeks of daily driving, my wheels, especially the front, produce massive amounts of black dust that make the wheels look like they're 10 years old. With a quick spraying with A2Z and my soft wheel brush, the wheels look better than new in about 2 minutes. None of those cleaners are truly spray on, hose off, regardless of what they claim. That's like saying you could spray on some car wash onto the paint, wash it off, and bam, a perfectly clean car without any scrubbing.....just isn't going to happen. When used with a wheel brush, they work fine. Cleaning the wheels is going to take some elbow grease regardless of what product you use, there is no other way around it, especially since the wheels are some of the dirtiest area on the car. It sounds like your wheels have not been kept up regularly, which is why you are seeing the black spots that won't come off. The longer that crud stays on the wheel, the more it bocomes "one" with the wheel as well, as it almost bonds with the wheel, and can actually cause etching too. Keeping the wheel cleaned every week or two, and adding a coat of wax, will help them maintain their like new appearance for years. Once damage is done, no cleaner is going to help.

Last edited by MikeLS; 08-09-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 PM

soap and water once a week and they will be perfectly clean.If you can take them off for a good cleaning and a coat of colinite.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:09 PM

I would suggest sticking to just soap/water for cleaning your rims and use a nice polish to shine them up.