Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Waxing a black SS, use what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:28 AM

Re: Waxing a black SS, use what?

BirchMan98z, the fact that you "rub hard" when you wash and detail a car is enough that I would never let you work on my car. The paint on most cars is VERY soft and can be swirled very easily. Since you don't know that, I wonder how much experience you actually have. If you want the best results use a gentle touch and only the best supplies. The paint on my Harley is so soft that even a baby diaper can't be used to remove polish. I have to use only DFTowel microfiber towels on it.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:08 AM

So, Anyway before everyone kills each other and uses all of my towels to soak up blood.

Terrycloth towels then?

Dare I ask what wax is best.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:05 AM

for youre basic everday wax job a damp terry cloth is best..
Old 02-22-2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
Terrycloth towels then?
High quality microfiber or high quality 100% cotton (made in USA, Supima).
Old 02-22-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
So, Anyway before everyone kills each other and uses all of my towels to soak up blood.

Terrycloth towels then?

Dare I ask what wax is best.
Use Zaino!!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by moparman
Use Zaino!!!!
That's not funny, and it doesn't help at all.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ZaneO
It wasn't meant to be funny. Guy asked, and I recommended.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:40 PM

There are no "best" waxes or sealants. It's all personal preference.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:43 PM

There are higher and lower quality waxes. Results, however, are subjective. Some lower quality waxes and sealants will work well on some paint surfaces, and some high end wax and sealants have flopped or failed to live up to the hype on other surfaces.

That's why you have to compare for yourself, and not rely only on heresay, pictures, or test results. They do help, but you have to take the plunge and decide on your own.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin V 2002 SS
BirchMan98z, the fact that you "rub hard" when you wash and detail a car is enough that I would never let you work on my car. The paint on most cars is VERY soft and can be swirled very easily. Since you don't know that, I wonder how much experience you actually have. If you want the best results use a gentle touch and only the best supplies. The paint on my Harley is so soft that even a baby diaper can't be used to remove polish. I have to use only DFTowel microfiber towels on it.
I'm not sure if you are following me... by "rub hard" i'm not talking rubber banding a terrycloth towel to a pneumatic hammer here, I was going to give some benefit of the doubt here, but your replies have removed all of that doubt-- I'm either dealing with an emotionally challenged mentally underdeveloped child, or an immature little punk who hasn't seen daylight in weeks because he's still removing the 9th coat of wax with a Q-tip, thinking they might have a shot at "baggin their first hot babe" if their car is shinier than the next guy's. Before you start flaming me again, know that you'd better be able to take it as well as dish it out.

Furthermore, I'd be willing to put my method of hand rubbing w/a soft terrycloth against anyone else's. Wax isn't going to come off by itself ladies, those of you who use buffers are essentially "rubbing hard." I can assure you that my hand buffing is far more gentle on the paint than any buffing machine, and as I've proven to be a man of my word, I'm more than happy to show any pictures I have available of the cars I detail regularly, and their show-quality finishes. All achieved by hand buffing.

At least ZaneO was willing to let bygones be bygones, and has now agreed that cotton terrycloth is acceptable for removing wax-- not that there was ever any doubt on my end. We fought what I consider a gentlemen's duel, and parted ways cordially.

Now, one final little observation and a short story before I unsubscribe to this ridiculous thread:

Observation: If you guys are removing swirl marks from your cars all the time, then perhaps you don't know as much about paint care as you think you do.

Final Thought: A short story.

Socrates was teaching a group of his students about life, history, art, and providing them with general knowledge. One of his students then spoke up and asked a question. "Who is the smartest man in the world?" he asked. Socrates, taken aback somewhat by the straightforwardness of the question thought about it for a while and replied "I am." The student asked him "Why do you say that, master?" He shortly replied "Because I don't think I am."

Ponder for a while, and relish your newfound humility.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 02-23-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:28 AM

Actually, I'm 51 and have been detailing cars for 35 years. You came across as one of those 16 year olds that knows everything.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:20 AM

I actually have to take Kevins side here. Just because we use polishers (And im not clear if you consider a PC 7424, a hard rubbing polisher) But if we lived close enough to each other, Id be more than happy to detail the other 1/2 of a car with you, and see whos 1/2 is more pleasing to the customer. You can not compare accomplishments with hand vs PC. I have 20 yrs of detailing behind me, and feel comfortable putting my horse, before my cart. Pictures also available upon request.....
Swirl presence is not indicative of a detailer who doesnt know how to detail, its more indicative of owners who dont practice proper washing, and maintenance techniques.......
Old 02-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ZaneO
What the hell is wrong with you man.... You sound like a real jerk
Old 02-23-2005, 08:11 PM

Nothing the hell is wrong with me

Comments like "Use Zaino" don't help anyone learn.

BTW, welcome to the board.

Last edited by ZaneO; 02-23-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin V 2002 SS
Actually, I'm 51 and have been detailing cars for 35 years. You came across as one of those 16 year olds that knows everything.
Hardly, I was just stating my personal preference, which for some reason people seem to have a problem with. I'm always open to advice & suggestions, but waxing a car is pretty straightforward.