Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Washing without scratching?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 03:24 PM

Question Washing without scratching?

1. Using Z7 and a clean Viking wash mit on a pretty dirty car, (my car, black, with Zaino on it), in theory, wouldn't the dirt on the car alone be enough to scratch it? I mean, where does this dirt go once removed from the surface? I'm just thinking that maybe washing is one of my major contributers to swirls, spiderwebbing.

Now I know that washing with a well drenched mit and light pressure is probably my best option, but wouldn't it still scratch?

Just a theory.

Jeff

------------------
1996 Black Z28 M6; Stock.
1994 S10 4X4.

My Site
Old 03-25-2002, 03:36 PM

What you need to do is always pre-wash the car with just the hose using the pressure from the nozzle to knock off the loose stuff, the entire surface area that you are washing should be very wet before you start moving the mit over that area, re-wet the mit every few min. and keep it really soapy (the mit and the car) that is how you avoid marks on a black car (or how it do it anyway)

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
Authorized Zaino Showcar Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3
Old 03-25-2002, 03:41 PM

Smile

It's true, washing is probably the single biggest factor that contributes to spiderwebbing (besides using the wrong kind of wash mitts/towels). The best way to minimize the possibility of dirt repeatedly touching the car, is to wash with a two bucket method. One bucket holds your car wash solution in clean water, the other is used to rinse your mitt after scrubbing a dirty panel. So, the mitt will be cleaner for each panel and you don't have a bunch of dirt floating around in your soap bucket. I don't use two buckets every time, but it helps when the car is really dirty to separate the dirty water from clean.

As long as you're using the proper mitts, drying tools, and techniques, (and it seems you are), this is the best way to help not swirl up the car. As you said, any time you scrub dirt across the surface, there is a risk for spiders/swirls. Just use plenty of car wash soap in the bucket and be gentle and you might notice a reduction in spiders. Black cars show every last imperfection so I know how hard they can be to get just perfect.

HTH!

Mike

[edit]I also follow Kevin's exact routine as a prewash, and I assumed you do as well Jeff, so I didn't mention it. But, never the less, it IS very important to do a prewash.[/edit]

------------------
*Mike's 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniv.*
Dark Red Metallic (ext.) / Flame Red (int.)
Flowmaster Crossflow, K&N, 20% 3M Panther Black Tint
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953H/U, Kenwood / Pioneer speakers
Shine by ZAINO! - Special Thanks to Sal Z!

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited March 25, 2002).]
Old 03-25-2002, 03:53 PM

Thumbs up

Good advice, Gentlemen.

Kevin, you must cringe everytime you see a post by me. Trust me, I am much more optimistic in real life.

I am about this close (picture me holding my thumb and index finger thightly together until they both go pale) to buying a white car. I'm determined to give it another go this summer though.

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------
1996 Black Z28 M6; Stock.
1994 S10 4X4.

My Site