Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Tape up ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:34 PM

Tape up ?

When using a buffer of some sort is it best to go through and tape everything up like you were going to paint it? Reason I ask is I've got wax in a lot of the cracks and it is a pain in the butt to go through and get it all out. Just wondering what everyone does bout that.
Also what is the best way to get the paint out of all the small cracks it can get into? Everytime i hit the button on the buffer it slings mess everywhere.
Is there any way to cover fisheyes in the paint? I've got prolly 2 in the hood, not really noticable unless you look for them, but i was wondering what to use to cover them up a little more.
Last question, I have a small spot in the quarter behind the door of my car where a stupid deer hit me out of prolly 10 cars.. Well I got it repaired and it looks like the paint has a little texture.. I guess this is from not color sanding it? I dunno but its only noticable if the light hits it right, I'm wondering if anything will help this look smooth again? Not that big of a deal really but I like to try and keep everything lookin good

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:08 PM

taping everything up is good, for wax in cracks i use usualla a toothpick or a credit card coverd in a towel.
when you place the product on the pad and you place the pad on the vehicle slightly hold the trigger to half the speed its set to, in other words to press the button all the way down only halfway, then progress from there.

you cannot fix fisheyes thats a bodyshop problem

the rear pannel is a something only a bodyshop can fix
Old 03-16-2004, 02:54 PM

Buffer sling would only happen with a high speed rotary and not even then if you are careful, start the buffer on low speed and progress up for no sling, you will also not get any sling if you put the compound on the pad and then smear the pad around on the paint BEFORE activating the buffer......
Old 03-16-2004, 04:34 PM

Thanks guys, need to polish and wax again and of course hesitate using the buffer b/c of the sling.