Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Tail light lenses scratched.Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 07:07 AM

Post Tail light lenses scratched.Fix?

There is so much sand and dust thown up on the rear of these F bodies that the tail light lenses really take a beating.Will any Zaino products mask these or do I have to buff these pieces?I also have a small deeper scratch that somewhat gets hidden by using high gloss armorall but it doesnt last. I want to fix this permanantly.I never wipe these lenses, only when I wash them......Thanks Mark

------------------
1995 Pontiac Formula, 5.7 350cu.in.LT1, M6,TTops, Medium quasar Blue, 32,000 miles
Old 03-24-2002, 08:23 AM

You could try using Zaino Z-14. This comes from www.zainobros.com:

Z-14 PLASTIC-MAGIC CLEANER & POLISH

Z-14 is designed to clean and protect all types of plastic surfaces without scratching. It can be used on clear or colored plastics from very thin films to very thick acrylics, lexan, abs, plexiglass, etc. Z-14 deep cleans as it polishes and restores dull plastic to like new condition. It penetrates and seals, tiny scratches and pores in plastic to increase surface clarity and reduce distortion. Z-14 is fast drying and leaves no sticky, oily or greasy residue. It creates an ultra-slick, anti-static, smudge free surface. Great for restoring old plastic lenses and other hard plastic parts. Not for use on vinyl surfaces.

Old 03-24-2002, 10:27 AM

I wonder why use Z14?Can you use Z5 & Z2. Are these formulas ok for plastic.Clearcoat is plastic right?Why spend more money if the products Im buying will work?I have $30 worth of Z2 & Z5 polishes that work on plastic clearcoat. This stuff is getting very expensive Can anyone answer this question.

------------------
1995 Pontiac Formula, 5.7 350cu.in.LT1, M6,TTops, Medium quasar Blue, 32,000 miles
Old 03-24-2002, 11:57 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 95FormulaMark:
I wonder why use Z14?Can you use Z5 & Z2. Are these formulas ok for plastic.Clearcoat is plastic right?Why spend more money if the products Im buying will work?I have $30 worth of Z2 & Z5 polishes that work on plastic clearcoat. This stuff is getting very expensive Can anyone answer this question.

</font>
Z-14 is a mild polishing compound made for plastic, just like Z-12 is a little rougher polishing compound made for glass. Z-2 and Z-5 can be used on the tail lights with no problem and might even fill some of those light scratches and 2 and 5 will also shine and protect them, but Z-14 will REMOVE light scratches as it is a mild abrasive.

Many companies make plastic polishes, Plexus, Meguiars, Mothers, all make plastic polishes. These plastic polishes work much much better with a buffing pad and little air buffer.

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
Authorized Zaino Showcar Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3