Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Bad rattle behind tail lights........

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 10:18 AM

Exclamation Bad rattle behind tail lights........

I know it's not the tail lights rattling, and it's not the jack or spare. But I've got some bad rattling when my bass hits that is behind the tail lights or around the hatch locking mechanism, hard to tell where at exactly. Anybody else have this? Do you know how to fix it?? Thanks in advance!

Josh

------------------
1994 Z28, Blue with T-Tops.

http://JoFerZ.cz28.com/
Old 07-27-2002, 12:12 AM

dunno if same on most maros, but... besides the "camaro" read panel thing (just below hatch, above bumper), when i hold it down, no rattles at all... i need to put some dnomat, etc... under it..just been lazy to do it... but when i put preasure on it... no rattles at all...try it...may be same thing...

cory

------------------
- 1998 Black Camaro A4 -

AOL/AIM: Binkyboy88
This is my AIM buddy icon:
http://www.angelfire.com/nb/corycamaro
Old 07-27-2002, 12:21 AM

I've tried holding the panel, but that doesn't stop the rattles. Dunno, I guess I need to start taking it apart and investigate it.

Josh

------------------

Old 07-29-2002, 01:07 PM

Cool

On our model camaros its the tail lights and often the rear panel. YOu can use great stuff in the rear panel and when it expands and forms That will rattle no more. As for the tail lights. Take them out, get some window foam and line the back edges. Then pop them back in.

NO more rattles.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:20 PM
L44

If its not that try the hatch back latch mechanism, mine rattled like hell then i just tightened it up an it was all better, but i got a question. My drivers side door handle rattles like hell. How can i fix that. Its comming loose on the outside.

------------------
- BIGKerneL 44
:: 1996 Camaro Z28
:: Black, M6, Full Tint / 350 rwhp/ Whole lotta chrome
:: My 4th Gen
Old 07-30-2002, 10:40 PM

What exactly did you tighten up on the hatch locking mechanism?? Be specific please. I took my lights, light panel, and bumper off today looking for rattles. I found one, and it's an easy fix from the inside. There is a type of air valve on the driver's side right behind the rear wheel, but underneath the bumper skin. You can see it from the inside pretty easily if you don't have the factory sub in. It's a little black plastic opening way down underneath where the sub goes. I stuffed some paper shop towels in that and it kept all those flaps from rattling. But I also figured out that my locking mechanism is causing most of the rattles.

About the exterior door handles...mine is doing it too on the passenger side, but I haven't torn into that yet. I'm also gonna get inside my exterior mirrors and see if I can tighten those up too. I'll post the results. But if anyone has some tips, please, please post them.

Josh

------------------

Old 07-31-2002, 09:16 AM

I actually had same problem, I took that dynomat only GM version buddy had laying around, anyway, I took loose the plastic under trunk, layed it all in there, its peel and stick stuff. Then next took off the panels on inside that come off wheel well ones, layed under those. then the matting under the cut out for the t-tops i layed it in there and also took off my taillights and layed pieces in behind there. no rattles at all now. trunk still bounces when bas hits. but no annoy rattles
Old 08-30-2003, 08:33 PM

I hope someone reads this:

What do you think of removing the back bumper cover and covering it completely on the inside with some kind of foam. I am talking like maybe a 1/4" thick carpet backing foam sheet or something. Seems like that would stop all the bumper rattles. Then do the same for the license plate. Does that sound like it would work???
Old 08-31-2003, 12:49 AM

Wow this is an old thread!!! I sprayed undercoated over my rear panel and used expanding foam....also I used the foam tape for my taillights and i'm golden in the rear. I have a convertible too which rattles about 20x worse then my bro's hatchback