Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Spray wax from an automatic car wash...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM

Spray wax from an automatic car wash...

I am sure many gasped when they read the title...

I got a 2000 Camaro for $2k exterior was a little neglected, but its overall not "that" bad.

When I got it looks like the car had sat under a tree for awhile before sale, it had a flat tire, we filled up and hasn't lost any air pressure in 3 months.

I did a quick touchless self wash on it when I got it. But its been pretty cold and rainy, lots going on in my life that besides basic transportation car was neglected appearance wise, been fixing things like heat, bad CAT, etc...

Today it was surprisingly warm and I stopped by a do it yourself car wash. I used the dreaded foam soap brush there, to scrub it good, and topped it off with the "spray wax" I have used these places before to do a touchless wash, but stuck to soap, no brush and just spraying water.

Does this stuff offer any protection? after I used it water was noticeably beading when before it wasn't at all.

You see it all the time at gas stations offered for extra money in a carwash.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 AM

Re: Spray wax from an automatic car wash...

I've always wondered about it too. I'm sure there's some sort of magazine article or something about it. It'd take a real pro to say anything worthwhile about it.

I don't think it's a replacement for waxing by hand, but I sure as heck don't know what it actually is. At the place I sometimes go, they have wax and then they have clearcoat protectant. I don't know how they are different...
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 AM

It has to offer some sort because when I use at a self serve, you can see the water bead off after you spray the wax on. Not sure how long it lasts, but it defintielty does something!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 PM

i'd assume it does *something*. As far as i know, its the same 'liquid wax' stuff you can get in spray bottles, but mixed with water. It's not the same as real wax by any means, but it does give the paint a bit of a shine, and it keeps dirt from sticking to it for a while, so you can clean the car by just wiping it down with a microfiber towel.