Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Some Problems I noticed while washing my car(paint chipping and wood paint drops)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Some Problems I noticed while washing my car(paint chipping and wood paint drops)

So I washed my car today for the first time by hand and I noticed that my paint isn't as flawless as I thought.

On the area around the trunk I noticed a few small places where the paint was chipping. Any idea how to fix this inexpensively?

I noticed a scratch on my side view mirror casing. I think it just is on the clear coat though, easy fix?

Now the thing that has me enraged, I think some spots of paint has been dripped on my car(from my apartment complex painting the buildings this last week). One very small dot on the very front seems to be the same color as the paint they were painting with, then on the passenger side there seems to be some white spots that just wouldn't come off with scrubbing with a sponge. Any idea what I can do about paint?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 PM

Re: Some Problems I noticed while washing my car(paint chipping and wood paint drops)

Try a clay bar on the paint spots.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 PM

Re: Some Problems I noticed while washing my car(paint chipping and wood paint drops)

you cant completely fix the chips without respraying (from my experience). however, you can keep them from spreading, and if they are relatively small, make them almost invisible. get some clear coat 'touch up paint' (i used duplicolor), clean the immediate are very well, then put clearcoat over the chipped area, and maybe a 1/4" or less on the good paint. i had a ~1" sq chip on the front, i did that, and now you cant really tell from more than a few feet away
Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by moparman
Try a clay bar on the paint spots.
I'll try that, I did actually buy a clay bar kit today, but because I was slowly realizing how little I was prepared to fully clean my car at that point(didn't even have a drying towel) I just stopped after washing a bit. . .I think I just realized I left my wash and wax at the car wash.

(20 minutes later)

HOLY CRAP! I live in the nicest community ever! It was still sitting right where I left it 5 hours ago, and when I left, there was a guy actually still washing his car.

Anywho, but yeah, I'll try that at some point and see how it works.

The paint chips are actually less than a few centimeters around I can see the silver or whatever underneath. I'll take a few pictures tomorrow to show EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 PM

Photos
This is the passenger side of the trunk
Name:  90b29f55.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  65.3 KB
driver's side of trunk
Name:  cde364d3.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  61.1 KB
bumper
Name:  785b9975.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  70.5 KB
passenger door where you can see some white spots
Name:  083246b2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  69.7 KB
passenger mirror where it looks like someone scraped it
Name:  4d4464f2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  57.5 KB
and then scratch on same mirror
Name:  82a63bb0.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  61.1 KB
then the single beige dot on my front under the headlights.
Name:  276b70fd.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  75.1 KB

again, all minor small things, but glaringly obvious when washing your car.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:58 AM

try scratch doctor and buff you heart out lol

hopefully they come out.. you can get touch up paint for the white spots but that sometimes dosen't work out too well

good luck!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Somebody hit your bumper for sure. The paint dot is just on top of the clear coat, clay bar will take it right off. Some polishing/rubbing compound should take care of most of that scuff on the mirror. The rock chips,,,nothing you can do about that, the paint is gone.
If you wash your car more often you can see the rate of chips and whatnot appearing on your car. I've noticed that driving above 70mph increase chips on the front significantly.
....I know, old thread..