Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Question about using polish one wheels (specifically Mother's Billet)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

Question Question about using polish one wheels (specifically Mother's Billet)

Per the suggestion of a couple of posts here, I bought some Mother's Billet polish for my polished wheels on my daily driver.

The wheels were in rough shape but after a whole lot of elbow grease and a few hours, I had them looking pretty good.

I am wondering why the polish turns black. I read that it is pulling the nickel out of the metal, but HOW exactly?

Also, should I polish them until it stops turning black? It seemed like no matter how much I polished them, it kept coming out black.

I went though MANY towels. Was I supposed to use the same part of the towel all the time even though it was black as coal or use a clean part of the towel each time I applied the polish?

I am just curious as to how it works and how it works best.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:49 PM

Re: Question about using polish one wheels (specifically Mother's Billet)

"I am wondering why the polish turns black. I read that it is pulling the nickel out of the metal, but HOW exactly?"

Its a chemical reaction with the nickel in the chrome.

"Also, should I polish them until it stops turning black? It seemed like no matter how much I polished them, it kept coming out black."

It will never stop turning black, the reaction is always there.

"I went though MANY towels. Was I supposed to use the same part of the towel all the time even though it was black as coal or use a clean part of the towel each time I applied the polish?"

I usually use a separate applicator mit for the polish and a clean towel for the removal of the metal polish, I like to use the dollar a piece micro fiber towels sold at walmart to remove the polish, they are crap towels and I would not use them on my paint but they are good enough to evently ruin on the wheels.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Re: Question about using polish one wheels (specifically Mother's Billet)

I had a feeling you were going to chime in on this one.

Originally posted by KevinSS
It will never stop turning black, the reaction is always there.
That's what I thought, so I polished them until I thought they were at their best.

[B][QUOTE]I usually use a separate applicator mit for the polish and a clean towel for the removal of the metal polish,

That's what I did. Wax on, wax off.

I like to use the dollar a piece micro fiber towels sold at walmart to remove the polish, they are crap towels and I would not use them on my paint but they are good enough to evently ruin on the wheels.
I used some cheap terry cloth towels, the kind you buy in rolls of 10 for $2.99 in the auto section of department stores. After all, this is my Jeep, not my Camaro. I'll use the cheapo microfiber versions on the Camaro wheels, thanks for the tip.