Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 01:07 PM

Post Paint problem

I have what appears to be a slight hint of oxidation on top of the right front fender. It is the only place that has this problem and I took it to several detailing shops in my area and I was told that it was because the paint in that location was thin from the factory due to the curves in the body?!?! Is that true? Or BS? The piant was great until I went up to the TA Nats in OHIO and washed it at a local car wash and the water ended up pulling the wax off ( Hard water) HELP This is the original paint.

------------------
Dan Williams
93 Trans Am
Member of The Atlanta Camaro and Firebird Assoc. & GAFBA
Old 10-30-2001, 03:53 PM

try using the Meguair's Three Step waxing process. the first step takes away all oxidation, be it minimal or maximum, and reduces everything to paint. next is the sealer glaze which adheres to the paint sealing it much like a clear coat does, the last is the wax...we all know what wax does...do this, and then what i would do is repeat the waxing the following day to put an added layer of protection on.

phil
Old 10-30-2001, 06:53 PM

Talking

That's exactly what I would do although I don't use the 3 step waxes. But I would start with meguiars fine cut cleaner and use some meguiars sealant and then some klasse sealant glaze and then some plain old carnuba one grand blitz wax. If you do all that then your car will certainly shine and will be well protected. As far as future protection is concerned, acrylic polymers (sealants) cannot be beat but carnuba wax is what you want for shine. No matter what you do for protection I'd say a fine cut cleaner is what you want to use to remove that oxidation.

------------------
~Will
96 Z28
"fastanuff!"
Old 10-31-2001, 11:18 AM

Hey Lost, why do you use two sealants? what's the benefit out of it, specially with the Klasse? i've heard mixed reviews about the stuff. and you mentioned putting the carnuba wax on your hand?? why your hand, wouldn't the oils in your hand do something to break up the wax? that's an interesting method, please tell me more about the thought process....

phil
Old 10-31-2001, 12:52 PM

Lightbulb

Why do I use two sealants? I'm just really particular. I like both products and so I use them in conjunction. Plus the meguiars sealant is a mild cleaner also (like the klasse all in one - which is also a sealant). I don't really see much harm in leaving out one of the sealants, if I had to choose between the two I'd keep the klasse glaze. The hand trick is an interesting one, I'm still getting used to it myself. If you're familiar with the blitz wax (there is also a meguiars wax that is designed to be applied by hand) the blitz wax is not liquid, I wouldn't apply liquid wax with my hand. With a clean (dirt, grime, oil and ring free) hand you can feel how well and how even the coat is going on. Also, you can usually feel if you get a dirt particle under your hand and can stop waxing before you start putting little scratches in your car's coat. With a sponge (which I'm not necessarily against) you just don't get that "tactile feedback". Try it, if you like your hand then do it that way, if not then just stick with the sponge applicator. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

------------------
~Will
96 Z28
"fastanuff!"
Old 10-31-2001, 01:03 PM

Lightbulb

sorry, I forgot to address your question about the klasse glaze. I've never run across any bad remarks about the stuff. To be honest it really helped my car's troubled paint (black) but it isn't the easiest stuff in the world to take off especially when you put too much on. I guess it's somewhat like zaino, the less you use the better and EVERY person who uses it the first time puts too much on and then wants to shoot themselves when they have to take it back off. Those are really the only problems I see with it.

------------------
~Will
96 Z28
"fastanuff!"