Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

How pickey are you?....cleaning and drying..

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:46 AM

How pickey are you?....cleaning and drying..

How bad have you got it?...

When I wash the car I'll soak it down first. Do the wheels w/ my scrubber and the certain cleaner I use that works WONDERS. Wash from top down. NOT letting the hose touch the paint! rinse off good. (if cleaning under the hood, I'll do that first)

Drying... I have three Absorber, shami things. One for the door jambs and the weather stripping, one for the wheels (hard water is BAD in NM...stains quick), and one for the paint. Do the paint first, then the wheels, then the weatherstriping. Trunk, t-tops, door sils and striping. THen maybe give the interior a quick wipedown, which can lead to a full cleaning. (it's like foreplay, you usually don't stop there)

It'll take me about 2 hrs to was the car.... total of about 4-5hrs a week, average. I close my door but pushing w/ my finger tips under the door handle.

It exhausting..but worth it!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:00 AM

Re: How pickey are you?....cleaning and drying..

I am getting worse as time goes on. Now that I don't drive it daily I spend a lot more time trying to keep it looking nice.

I close my door by pushing on the lock with my thumb, and the rest of the fingers on the inside of the door.

Last edited by rlax31; 06-21-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:29 AM

THe lock, eh.... I like that trick...

It irks the **** out of me when they try to close the PASS door by the glass!......

That's how the window on my Firebird got messed up.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:22 AM

I also use the lock trick. I am so bad that when I take the car in for service that I am constantly watching them telling them not to close the doors by the windows, and not to roll down the windows etc.

As for the washing, I am pretty much the same way. Always trying to get those little minute details that others often over look. So yea, I have it bad too.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:35 PM

I take mine to a self-wash place and spend a few bucks there and use the spot-free finish which usually works pretty well, but I think I might take a squeegee with me from now on to dry it.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:10 PM

It only takes me a 1/2 hour.

I use a waterblade first then shammy to get the rest of the water. Then wash the wheels and tires.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:33 PM

go to self service wash,power wash,rinse,no spot rinse. then go home and wax,armor all,do glass inside. close door with handle.hands off the glass
Old 07-06-2006, 05:37 AM

I'm about that picky..it even bugs me after I get through washing it, the ground is all wet, even if theres a little grass on the pavement and i get it on my feet, i usually take my shoes off before I get in my car, or at least wipe em off, because there so dirty after a good wash, then I pull my car inside while its still wet, and dry it inside..The sun really dries the water up quick and leaves water spots. I've found if you open the hatch and leave it up while you do the top/hood/front then come back, most of the water will work its way down into the crack beside the hatch openings and you can clean the hatch glass better that way, then just wipe down inside the crack to get the water left behind. This helps me remember to get there too, seeing as in alot of times, when you get done drying it water still trinkles down all over your clean,freshly dried bumper.. . I always use my Absorber to open/close my door until my car is completely dry, then i use the lock.
wow, I guess i'm actually pickier than I thought!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:14 AM

Total time: 1hr - 1-1/2hr tops (Not including interior cleaning)

Wash: 1/2 hr.

Fill bucket with Zaino car wash. One chenile sponge for body, starting at the top. Second sponge for lower body, and wheels. Rinse.

Dry: approx. 1 hr.

DFT towels, (2) to dry body. Separate towels for underhood, door jambs, hatch, and wheels. Clean windows, inside and out with Stoners. Close doors, hood, hatch, Shop-Vac grille area, sideview mirror area, front marker lights, rear marker lights, taillights, and rear bumper where it meets tail panel to remove excess water. Final wipe down with Zaino Z8 Grand Finale Spray.