Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

How do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 06:28 PM

How do you do it?

How do you keep from going insane trying to get your cars looking nice. I park at home most of the time. When I'm out in public, I park as far away from other cars as possible. I take utmost care when moving around my vehicle so as not to scratch it. Yet every time I go outside I notice a new dent, scratch, or mar. Just today I noticed that someone had back into me and left a few nice scuffs and a huge spiderweb on my back bumper. How do you do it?
Old 06-22-2003, 09:21 PM

When I bought mine from the dealer, it was perfect.

How long did that last? Well it rained the next day I purchased my vehicle, but dent/scratch wise, a month later, I discovered a shopping cart against my door. There was a really small dent, and the paint chips just kept adding on, on my front bumper.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:36 AM

To be honest the only way to prevent damage to your car is not drive it everyday. If it bothers you so much save up some money and get a beater for work. The more you drive a car, the better the chance of something happening to it. It's relatively inevitable really.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:08 AM

yeah its tough, i usually get pissed for a couple of hours, then I just accept it. got a paint chip on the hood from a rock on the highway, a tiny ding on the right rear due to another pebble from the highway, and my bumper could use a fresh coat of paint.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:37 AM

Lightbulb

I've very careful and selective where I park or leave my car. For one, I always try to find a place where I can either double park (without it bothering anyone else) or park over the line at the very end of a row. I generally look for end spots because this minimizes the possibility of anyone else coming along and dinging my car. If you park where 3 other cars can surround yours, you are asking for trouble. At MOST, I only want 1, maybe 2, cars to be able to park around mine at all times. Parking over the line at the end spot also increases the space between you and the other car so they can oped their door without hitting yours. I don't mind walking, so I'll drive around a lot for a while if necessary looking for that "just right" spot where I know I won't be bothered. So far, I don't have any dings or scratches. If you want dings and scratches, all you have to do is park right in the middle of the crowded lots and you're car is sure to look like a golf ball before too long.

All I can say is just be very careful where you leave the car and leave as much room as possible between your car and someone else's when you park next to them. Since the other person doesn't care, it takes more effort on our part to stay out of harm's way. At work I park so only 1 other car can park next to me. And, I park over even more so their door can't possibly come close to hitting mine, unless they intentionally park on top of me.

And, for good measure, I like to turn around every 5 seconds to stare at the car as I'm walking from the back of a lot. Gotta get those last few looks in before I leave it!

Last edited by MikeLS; 06-23-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:51 PM

All you can do is try to park away from other cars, and not get in places that could cause you trouble, a little luck helps too.