Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

F**K Zaino!!! Crap RUINED my paint!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 05:11 PM

Post F**K Zaino!!! Crap RUINED my paint!!!!

Ok so I finally got my dream LT1, not an M6 like I wanted but still a nice car. Its a '95 that had low miles on it (40k). The only problem was there were alot of surface scratches on the paint and a few deep ones. The guy garaged it yea but he also used to sit all kinds of stuff on it. So I hear about Zaino and how it works miracles so I took the gamble and spend about $50. Got some Z-1,Z2 and Z5. Started like they said, wash the paint GOOD with Dawn. Waited until it was dried then put the light coat of Z1 on it.........waited a bit then put a light coat of Z5 on as per Zaino's instructions- not circular motions just back and forth. Cool.........so today after leaving my car sit all night-soft towel in hand I go out to my dream car.............OMG I begin buffing off the Zaino and its LOADED and I mean LOADED with massive scratches in the paint. Its so bad I can't even imagine taking this car out of the garage. I'm not bullsh**ting here either, I've NEVER seen a car wax or polish that did this kind of damage to paint before. In fact just this past weekend (before my Zaino came) I did my beater Talon with Zymol cleaner wax. Damn it did miracles for that damaged paint. Funny I didn't wanna "waste" the Zaino on my commuter car. Before you even start I'm sure some guys are gonna say my car was dirty or some crap, well I've been waxing cars for close to 20 years and I've NEVER seen anything even close to this kind of damage done to paint before. I just can't figure out how this stuff get such a good rating in here. I mean if its actually that good then yea somewhere along the way I screwed up. But MAN th price you pay for screwing up with Zaino is you need to repaint your car??????? Kiss my *** I'm now lokign at my dream car that looks like crap, I'm so mad/upset I'm not sure what to even do. I'm looking at a VERY expensive repaint now and I simply don't have the cash for it. I crushed. No this ISN'T a joke and I did use the "free applicator" I got with the Zaino.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:25 PM

Red face

THAT SUCKS!!!!!
I've been considering buying some for my car, since everyone seems to think it's the best on the market....is it possible something was put into your container(some sand etc.??? wild guess here) but that is weird....someone help this poor soul!! That makes me sick, and I don't even know you.

------------------
'95 Black Z28 Bone Stock A4 3.23 Gears
Old 05-15-2002, 05:50 PM

Have you tried washing it with Z7? It could be residue that was not completely dry that appears like swirls. A quick wash will remove it if that's the case.

Otherwise, there's NO CHANCE that Zaino will ever scratch paint like you say. It's completely non abrasive, so I'd look at other techniques or products as the cause... Zaino has been on the market for years, and noone has ever reported that it has ruined their paint...because it can't happen.

If you have issues with Zaino, why not take it up with Sal Zaino. His number is on his web site...

------------------
*Mike's 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniv.*
Dark Red Metallic (ext.) / Flame Red (int.)
Flowmaster Crossflow, K&N, 20% 3M Panther Black Tint
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953H/U, Kenwood / Pioneer speakers
Shine by ZAINO! - Special Thanks to Sal Z!

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited May 15, 2002).]
Old 05-15-2002, 06:07 PM

Yeah, can't happen, if the Zaino was what scratched the car you obviously would have noticed it on APPLICATION, not on removal. Either the scratches where already there and the Zaino being shiny made them stand out more or your towel you wiped it off with had some serious grit or something in it. The towel could have scuffed it if the towel has ever been washed with powder detergent (only use liquid) or if the towel has polyester or any other man made fibers in it or if the towel was purchased at an auto parts store, all those are aweful.

Zaino has the consistency of butter, it in and of its self can not scratch paint.

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
Authorized Zaino Showcar Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3

[This message has been edited by KevinSS (edited May 15, 2002).]
Old 05-15-2002, 06:36 PM

Yea I kinda figured I'd get that here, I just tried some 3m swirl mark remover and it does nothing, the Zaino is damn hard to remove I'll give it that. I guess I gotta go to the heavy duty stuff now there's really no harm now since this paint is completely runied. Its kinda ironic I just was rubbing HARD with an abrasive compund with a FOAM pad and it didn't put a SINGLE extra scratch in the paint. So how did this Zaino do all this damage from a light application???? Its too unreal to comprehend I can't afford a repaint, in fact this car was a stretch for me. Now its gonna sit it looks like hell, would never get any money out of it selling it. Maybe a black primer shaker can job?? Like I said this is too unreal to even comprehend. I'd caution ANYONE from using this Zaino now. I mean I took all the steps and took my time and was careful as heck, I've waxed cars for 10 years and used all kinds of products and I've NEVER seen this much damage from a wax/polish. Anyone who doean't belive me if you in the Allentown area and wanna look at my car e-mail me.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:48 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by baron4406:
Yea I kinda figured I'd get that here, I just tried some 3m swirl mark remover and it does nothing, the Zaino is damn hard to remove I'll give it that. I guess I gotta go to the heavy duty stuff now there's really no harm now since this paint is completely runied. Its kinda ironic I just was rubbing HARD with an abrasive compund with a FOAM pad and it didn't put a SINGLE extra scratch in the paint. So how did this Zaino do all this damage from a light application???? Its too unreal to comprehend I can't afford a repaint, in fact this car was a stretch for me. Now its gonna sit it looks like hell, would never get any money out of it selling it. Maybe a black primer shaker can job?? Like I said this is too unreal to even comprehend. I'd caution ANYONE from using this Zaino now. I mean I took all the steps and took my time and was careful as heck, I've waxed cars for 10 years and used all kinds of products and I've NEVER seen this much damage from a wax/polish. Anyone who doean't belive me if you in the Allentown area and wanna look at my car e-mail me. </font>
You need to contact Sal Zaino or your Zaino distributor as you obviously do not want mine nor MikeLS's help. I also assume you do not want to tell us about your removal towel.

The Zaino distributor in PA's name is Carl and he is in Huntingdon Valley PA and his contact info is:carl@hcvind.com &lt;carl@hcvind.com&gt;

www.hcvind.com

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
Authorized Zaino Showcar Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3
Old 05-15-2002, 07:14 PM

Exclamation

Again, I don't know what you did or have done to your car, but Zaino by itself WILL NEVER cause scratches. I've used the stuff for years, I know this for a FACT. There are thousands of Zaino users and this is the first I've ever heard of Zaino supposedly damaging paint. The only possible way you could cause scratches from using Zaino or any other protectant is: if you apply it with a dirty applicator, have dust or dirt on the finish when applying, bad or dirty buffing towels, or dust/dirt on the finish when you buffed it out.

Another point, you claim to have 20 years of waxing experience (or is it 10 years, you contradict yourself in both posts)?? Surely someone with this many years of experience knows the importance of paint prep BEFORE using ANY wax or sealant product, not just Zaino. You said in your original post that the car was already badly scratched and swirled, and it seems you applied Zaino directly over a bad finish. Did you not do any paint prep to remove the bad scratches BEFORE you applied Zaino to get the finish as perfect as possible? This is something that anyone with that many years of experience should know right off the bat. Also, how could you tell that Zaino caused further scratching on paint that already has a lot of scratches? Something just doesn't add up here IMHO...

Zaino is not a miracle cure all paint finish product. It will not turn a crappy finish into a sparkling show car finish without proper prep. Zaino is recommended to be applied over as perfect a finish as possible for best results.

Like I said, if you have serious issues with Zaino, I'm sure Sal would like to hear about it. Personally, I'm gonna have to raise the BS flag...

------------------
*Mike's 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniv.*
Dark Red Metallic (ext.) / Flame Red (int.)
Flowmaster Crossflow, K&N, 20% 3M Panther Black Tint
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953H/U, Kenwood / Pioneer speakers
Shine by ZAINO! - Special Thanks to Sal Z!

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited May 15, 2002).]
Old 05-15-2002, 07:36 PM

Like I said I kinda figured this.........as far as my local distributor goes I got the stuff from him. He's a great guy, shipped fast and I have been e-mailing him about this and he's e-mailed me right back. If you are from PA and love Zaino I can't say enough about how fast this guy's service is and how he tried to help me. But really the guy drives a brand new 'Vette and a new BMW- I'm sure he could care less about my Camaro. As far as the insults go you gotta understand I'm really upset here. I've had a bad run the past year or so, my luck has been horrible. This car was my one reward for all the bad stuff that happened to me- and now I won't even drive the thing. So I know this seems like a joke to you but I'm kinda bummed. Also I wish I could show you what I USED to polish my cars with-its an old foam pad that SO dirty the thing is BLACK. Yet this thing with supposedly "harsh" waxes never put one scratch on any car I used it on. Now for the Zaino I used the applicator pad they suppy and recommend, washed my car thouroughly with Dawn, and carefully applied the Z1 and Z5. I never imagined this could happen, I mean I was just rubbing the CRAP out of the paint with RUBBING COMPOUND and a cheap terrycloth pad and it didn't put a single scratch in the paint-in fact it removed a few. My guess is the applicator somehow picked up dirt, but then if that happend would the entire car be like this?? I mean every square inch of the car is scratched to heck.Kinda funny tho that someone told me its possible the scratches were already there and the Zaino just made them stand out.....kinda contrdicts what Z5 is good for huh?? Finally if your using Zaino and love it keep using the darn stuff, the way my luck is I happened to be the ONE guy who got a bad batch or a crappy applicator. Again PLEASE don't blame my local distribitor, he seems to be a stand up guy. There are some Zaino fanatics here who are ready to raise the bull**** flag, well come see my car then and talk to people I showed it to when I bought it and ask them if the car looked like this. Come look at my Zaino applicator I used and my 100% cotton (made in USA) towel. I'm stepping on major toes here and I see and I'm sorry I even posted this. I should have just kept my misfortune to myself and written it off as yet more bad luck. As far as writing Sal Zaino-your kidding right?? I got laughed off this board and called a bull**** artist-he'd probably try and sue me or something.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:47 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by guess1:
THAT SUCKS!!!!!
I've been considering buying some for my car, since everyone seems to think it's the best on the market....is it possible something was put into your container(some sand etc.??? wild guess here) but that is weird....someone help this poor soul!! That makes me sick, and I don't even know you.

</font>
Thanks for your kind words. Sand in the Z5?? Nah I checked that, my guess is the applicator had some kind of mung on it-and I already washed the thing so I can't even verify that.I'm just shocked at how unforgiving the Zaino is, what's even funnier is that the stuff really doesn't shine any better than any other stuff. Looks good mind you but I kinda expected awesome, and didn't expect a million little scratches. Most of them seem to be very shallow tho so mabye a professional detailer can buff them out..........and if he can you can bet your sweet bum I ain't taking the Zaino risk again!! The stuff is already in my garbage can. I used Zymol on my Talon and it worked AWESOME on that old paint, but its a wax so I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe that Liquid Glass stuff. Almost everything is a wax that you see in the stores so your options are limited. But wax never scratched my paint like this and I should have left well enough alone. That's totally my fault for believing all the hype. Its cool at least ONE guy didn't think I had ulterior motives. Thanks

Old 05-15-2002, 07:51 PM

Unhappy

Man, I'm still tryin' to figure out what could have happened...if it was scratching the paint, it seems like you would have noticed before you did the whole car. Do you have kids around? Was the car inside overnight?....maybe some punk thought it would be funny to go over your wax job with something to make all those scratches? Is your spouse (if you are married) pissed because you spent too much on the Zaino? Maybe someone sabotaged you! I'm not trying to make light of your situation, I would be nauseous personally, just want you to find out what happened.... keep us posted.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:05 PM

Lightbulb

How long did you wait before buffing Z1 and Z5 off your car?

And, if you run your finger over these new swirls, does it seem to leave a mark where you ran your finger, or does it look the same?

I'm just as disappointed that it didn't work for you. But, I think you'll get more helpful responses in the future if you remain civil and give us details about exactly how you applied everything and the tools you used. Everyone's opinion counts, and if you have different experiences then your welcome to share them. But, starting off saying "F*ck this, or F*ck that", or "kiss my ****" loses credibiliy pretty fast... Most of us here are more than willing to help anyone that wants it...
Old 05-15-2002, 08:22 PM

This really does sound weird, with no abrasives it can't cause scratches, unless it is the towels/technique used. Zaino has always been so easy to apply and remove, never hard to remove, it is one of the things that people say the most about it, is how easy it is to remove. Something really weird here.

------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid with Holley filter and Mallory polished MAF ends.

Louisville, KY
Old 05-15-2002, 08:29 PM

Thanks Mike, for the record like I said my life has been so bad the last year or so and this car was the ONE bright spot in it-then this happened. I tell ya what tho my local guy I got the Zaino from,H. Carl Voellm is a true stand up guy. He even wants to come up and look at my car and give me some advice. I'm just flabbergasted at this, I mean no wonder this stuff has the reputation it does if the local distributors are like this. He's obviosly VERY wealthy yet he's willing to stand behind a product he sells like this. So the fact that this happened makes me sad, he has killed me with kindness you could say. Yea I'm still mad now but its mostly depression again. The car is gonna sit now I'm not even sure what to do with it. I may try to find a detailer to buff the paint out but I'm leery about losing the clearcoat.What happened?? Well I can't test this theory since I washed the applicator like your supposed to do-but from looking at it close it appears there was major grit in the waxing pad. How it got there is beyond me, its not like I threw it at a mouse running across my garage floor.I was so fanatical about doing everything right with this I'm sure that's the only explanation. Maybe there was a small area that was unwashed and it picked up grit from there-but then it would be only on the paint AFTER it picked up the grit. But I started on the hood of the car and there are scratches there-in fact like I said they are everywhere. I can't even describe how bad it looks now. How it could have gotten scratched this bad is beyond me. Maybe I pushed too hard on the applicator, but again they say to just press lightly and I did. I just did my Talon with Zymol and that DSM had STUFF imbedded in the paint, I actually got arm cramps from rubbing it so hard, and I didn't put a single scratch on it. I'm not some Zymol shill either-in fact its a week later and the paint is now kinda dull again so I guess Zymol only lasts a week!! Really there is no way you can help me, its kinda out of the hands of my abilities now. What I need to find out is if there are any good detailers in the Allentown area that can buff these scratches out, I'm just worried about what its gonna cost and if they will do a good job. So maybe saving up money for a total repaint is my only option. Sad but true.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:44 PM

Brian, I do not care if you drive a Ferrari or a Pinto, I do care about your car, what I drive do not matter, my customers car are what I care about, and keeping them looking good, that is what matters. I see many people I know here, including the 2 Kevin's (I really think they are just one person) As I told you I will try to get to see your car this weekend if possible, I know the problem was not the Zaino, because I have used the same batch on my Grand Cherokee a few days ago. I have talked to Sal about this problem you had and we both feel it was something that you pickup with the applicator. I will be in touch

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.
2002 Z06 Electron Blue/Mod Red

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: Zaino@hcvind.com

[This message has been edited by hcvone (edited May 15, 2002).]
Old 05-15-2002, 08:58 PM

Alright, let's try and stick to the facts here. This guy isn't trying to **** anyone off, he's just upset about his car, understandable. I believe him that he was very careful, I really do. I also believe that something unusual happened with this Zaino job... cause, I mean, while I believe you, you also have to be realistic and take into account that if NOBODY else has reported this happening to them when they used Zaino, then something must have happened to your applicator pad and/or towels that caused them to be abrasive. Cause like they say, Zaino by itself isn't abrasive and there's no real way for it to scratch the car if you tried. So let's retrace here... When did the scratches show? After you toweled off the Zaino or when exactly? I waxed my car really well once on my last car (black) and when I toweled it off, I discovered zillions of swirl marks everywhere... turned out I had a few grains of sand that had somehow gotten in my towel. With nothing else to go on, I'm aiming toward a similar explanation with your case. I am not saying you did anything wrong, I'm just saying I don't think it could have really been the Zaino either. SOMETHING abrasive got into either your applicator or towels. At this point, I think your best bet is taking it to a professional to see if they can get them out (hope they are shallow enough). I'm really sorry this happened buddy, I know how sick you must be. Let us know what happens with it, keep us updated.

------------------
Pewter 1999 Z28 M6
Loaded, power everything, t-tops, leather, chrome wheels
Aftermarket stereo system.
adam@adamkirk.com
http://www.adamkirk.com

Quick Reply: F**K Zaino!!! Crap RUINED my paint!!!!