Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

2010 Camaro Paint Correction+Optimum Gloss Coat(New Formula)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 01:06 AM

2010 Camaro Paint Correction+Optimum Gloss Coat(New Formula)

I don't post on this forum very often but I figured I would share this recent paint correction that I did.

This car belongs to my uncle. He asked me if I could polish it out as he will be giving it to his son as a gift for his 18th birthday on December 23rd. He's a good kid so I went the extra mile and coated the car after correcting it. This was a full interior and exterior job. It only has 18k miles on it and it is a V6. Don't let the SS badge fool you lol. My uncle decided he wanted a clone but the exhaust tone gives it away lol.

This has to be one of my favorite colors that I have worked on.

This is how it arrived. With a nice coat of dirt on it.

The defects underneath the layer of dirt

I started off using this wash method by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-car.html)

Here is Ironx doing it's thing

Followed that up with a foam bath using Meguiar's Hyper Wash

There was no sign of any protection on the paint. The water just stuck to the surface

Pulled it into the garage. This is what I was working with.

Defects on the trunk

On the rear drivers side quarter panel

Went on to clay the car. This is what I pulled out on a small section of the trunk. It was similar around the entire car. There was also some white overspray on a few areas of the car.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 AM

Re: 2010 Camaro Paint Correction+Optimum Gloss Coat(New Formula)

I knew I was going to have to compound but I started off with a test spot with M205 and a Meguiar's thin yellow foam polishing disc. I did this on the door as I also tried a couple other combinations to see what works best. M205 did a good job but the defects were pretty deep. My camera couldn't pick them up.

Video of the test spot.

I ended up moving to Meguiar's D300 on a microfiber cutting disc. This was doing a better job but even that was struggling a bit. I ended up using Meguiar's M100 on a microfiber cutting disc. The paint on this is on the hard side. The good news is that both D300 and M100 finished LSP ready. Here's the drivers side front fender after using the M100/microfiber combo. There were some deep scratches on the fender that would require more work than what is needed.

After compounding with M100 and the microfiber cutting disc, I moved to M205 on a thin yellow polishing disc, followed by Menzerna SF3800 on a thin black foam finishing disc. M100 on microfiber did dust so I ended up doing a quick rinseless with Meguiar's D114 to remove all the compound dust from the paint and from the crevices it found it's way to (ie door panels, trunk, etc). After that I followed up with a couple wipedowns of Carpro Eraser.

The coating of choice was Optimum Gloss Coats newest formula. Thanks Vega from Autopia for matching the Autogeek cyber buster deal on gloss coat.

This is what is included in the package. One thing to note is that I did not use the provided foam applicator. I ended up using a CarPro suede applicator and the CarPro applicator block. It worked flawlessly.

This is a 10cc syringe.

This is what I have left after applying 2 coats to the paint.

Here are the end results on the car

Trunk looking good.

Driver side rear quarter panel looking good

It was a bit overcast when I took these

Old 12-23-2015, 01:08 AM

Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 AM

The interior was not bad. A quick vacuum cleaned up most of it. Followed up with some Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer and Natural Shine. The rubber was a bit dry. The dirtiest part was the glass.

My brother came over and he decided to give Blackfire All In One Tire and Trim Protectant a go in the engine bay. This is all he used.

Before

After

Air intake before

All dressed

Final shot of my 4th gen behind this 5th gen

Products used:

Paint:
Wash: Meguiar's Hyper Wash
Decontamination: CarPro Ironx, Clay with Meguiar's M34
Compound: Meguiar's M100 + Meguiar's 5" microfiber cutting disc
Polish: Meguiar's M205 + Meguiar's 5" thin yellow polishing disc, Menzerna SF3800 + Meguiar's 5" thin black foam finishing disc
Coating Prep: CarPro Eraser
Coating: Optimum Gloss Coat (new formula). Applied 2 coats

Tires:
Meguiar's D143 Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner at 2:1
Pinnacle Black Onyx (2 coats)

Wheels:
Meguiar's D143 Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner at 2:1 with various brushes
Clayed
Polished with M205
Detailer's Pro Coating Prep Polish
Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating Version 1 (using the remainder I have only on the face of the wheel)

Wheel Wells:
Meguiar's Super Degreaer
Meguiar's Hyper Dressing

Exhaust Tips:
Meguiar's Medium Cut metal polish
Meguiar's Fine Cut metal polish
Wolfgang Metal Sealant

Trim:
Front cowl, window trim, roof trim, shark fin antenna, rear valence were cleaned with Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, dressed with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

Glass:
Clayed
Detailers Pro Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner
Detailers Pro Glass Restorer Polish + Lake Country Hydro Tech Tangerine Polishing pad
Detailers Pro Coating Prep Polish
Detailers Pro Glass Coating

Interior:
Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer
Meguiar's Natural Shine
Detailer's Pro Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner
303 Fabric Guard (seats and floor mats)
Blackfire Leather Conditioner

Engine Bay:
Adam Lug Nut Brush
Blackfire All In One Tire & trim Protectant