General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Exhaust now dragging on ground. Need some advice.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:59 PM

Exhaust now dragging on ground. Need some advice.

Hey Guys,

I just clipped my muffler (97 Z28) on a speedhump and it is now dragging on the ground. I bungee corded it up to limp back home, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with it now, and I'm having trouble finding any good info online.

The ends of both sides of the dual-exhaust are on the ground, but does not appear to have broken the pipes, and the car isn't any louder then it was before, so I'm assuming the system itself is still probably alright?

I can see one rubber hanger on the driver's side that it still in place, and does not appear to be deteriorated at all, but it's certainly not keeping the end of the system in the air, so it's either just too tired-out to hold the weight, or I'm missing something somewhere else...

I see on parts store sites that there is supposed to be a hanger on the passenger side as well, and I do seem to have a bracket on the frame there that looks like this one:

But there's nothing actually hanging down from it, and I'm not seeing anything on the pipe to connect it to... What is supposed to be connected to that? And could the loss of whatever that was have been enough to make that driver's side one not hold the weight anymore and drop the whole end of the exhaust?

Lastly, is this all OEM stuff that I need specific parts from the manufacturer for? Or can I just walk down the street to advanced auto and buy a solution for this off the shelf?

Would appreciate any info you guys can give me. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:06 PM

Re: Exhaust now dragging on ground. Need some advice.

Most likely everything is there and only needs to be readjusted.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:09 PM

I would take it to a muffler shop and have it inspected.If you have a after market cat back the people who installed the cat back may have cut the exhaust pipe that goes over the rear wheel to weld in the new system .That's what gave away on my old bird and the muffler shop re-welded the bend and welded a flat piece of metal to it for strength.Take the bungee cord off so not to cause a fire and use some cheap bailing wire.Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Take a good look at what is under there, before taking it to a shop and possibly getting screwed over for a new exhaust system you don't need. Shoebox has a diagram from the factory manual:

Parts 21, 22, 23, 24 are for the driver side hanger, parts 13, 14, 15, 16 are for the passenger side hanger.