Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

2002 Camaro Z28 Polished and Sealed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 04:14 PM

2002 Camaro Z28 Polished and Sealed

For those that don't quite remember, I had coated my dad's car as seen in this thread.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Z28-Now-Coated

Unfortunately while my dad was painting the gates around the house, he got overspray on the car. The car was parked on the street in front of the house. I contacted the coating manufacturer and was told that if a lot of clay lube and little pressure with a few passes, the coating would stay in tact. This was also with a fine grade clay bar. Well the overspray required more work and after claying the coating was compromised. The beading and sheeting was zero to none after washing it. Here's an idea of the overspray.

Prior to starting I had done a test spot a week before and I had to go with a compound to remove any remaining coating as a polish did not completely remove it. I used M100 followed by M205. I did find a high spot that I missed when I coated it. M100 knocked it off. The paint on this car is hard so M100 actually finished LSP ready. It also did not take a lot of passes to remove the coating. Three to four section passes removed it. I'll add all the products at the end that I used.

Started off with some machine cleaning of the tires. Thanks goes to Mike Philips for his article

(http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ever-used.html)

There were some minor defects. They could have been on the coating and not the paint.

After - This is after 4 passes with M100

I did not take that many before photos as there was not a lot of defects on the car. I have to redo the DP Glass Coating another day. Here are the afters.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:16 PM

Re: 2002 Camaro Z28 Polished and Sealed

Products used:

Wash: Meguiar's D110 Hyperwash

Decon: Clay with Meguiar's D155 Last Touch to remove any tiny amounts of paint overspray

Compound: Meguiar's M100 on a DFC5 Burgundy Foam Pad

Polish: Meguiar's M205 on a DFP5 Yellow Polishing Foam Pad, Menzerna SF4500 DFF5 Black Foam Pad (Hood and fenders only to tret out product sample a friend of mine sent me.)

Tool: MT300 Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable 7424XP, 2" Harbor Freight Polisher

Prep: CarPro Eraser (completely optional)

Protection Meguiar's Paint Protect 365

Tires: Machine Cleaned with Meguiar's D143 at 2:1, Dressed with Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel

Wheels: Polished with Meguiar's Fine Cut Metal Polish, Sealed with Adams Quick Sealant

Some things to comment on. M100 is a great compound. It has an extremely long working time compared to M105. It finished out LSP ready on this hard paint. It still dusts bit not as much as M105. I had more dust as it was somewhat humid this weekend.

Paint Protect does indeed have a darkening effect. Not sure how long that lasts. Very little product is needed with this and I mean very little. Applying it like a coating is the way to go with this one. It allows for better coverage and an easier application. This will also be a durability test of Paint Protect as it will be left alone and untouched with any spray waxes or soaps with waxes etc... We will see how handles the so called El Nino that is supposed to take place her in Southern California.