Please Dont buy from Illegalactivist

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:54 PM

Please Dont buy from Illegalactivist

I bought a CD player from Jay . I paypaled him $37 for it . Today I got the CD player in the mail, It was sent in a box that was too small .It was sent in the box on an angle packed with foam peanuts. I opened the box and went to install it in my car. After I got it hooked up I put a CD and it spit it out giving me a ERR 20 on the screen. I repeated this 5 times with no luck.

I emailed Jay telling him that the CD player doesnt work. he replied saying
"you bought a cd player from me and i sent you one that did work. if it doesn't work now, it's not my fault.- jay"

I ask him if i sent it back too him would he refund my $$$
he responds with

"considering that part of the $37 was for shipping, and i've already spent the rest of it, that would be kind of difficult. i wouldn't have spent the money if i hadn't known for a fact that the cd player wasn't defective. i never once had a problem with it when it was in my car and we had absolutely zero problems when we tested it out in my friend's camaro the SAME DAY that i shipped it out. i made sure it worked before i shipped it... i double checked to make sure it worked. this wasn't my error. if the cd player doesn't work now it's because either UPS or you damaged the product, not me... and it's unreasonable to expect me to take back a cd player that originally worked but doesn't work now and give you your money back after it was damaged once it left my possession. sorry man. - jay"

Then I asked him Why he didnt insure it if it was working?

"as a seller, i'm letting you know that i sold you a working product. it worked in my car. it worked when we tested it here. if there is a problem with it now, it's something that you did. perhaps you screwed it up when you were attempting to install it. regardless, it worked when it left my hands. on top of that, i sold you a working cd player for $37 when i sold another unit exactly like that one for $75. i did you a favor, then you try and put it back on me when it messes up. it worked fine before, and that's all i know. i tried to do you a favor and help you out.

- jay"

Please Dont buy from illegalactivist , he sent me a non working cd player (uninsured) and he wont refund my money even if I send him back the unit.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:23 AM

cant you dispute through paypal?
Old 10-18-2003, 01:21 AM

just in case...........what year/model was this cd player from? i know alot of these cd players havve theftlock.... like mine, so if someone steals it they cant play anything until u put in the right 4 digit code. on my cd player it comes up as LOC not error 20 though.... look into it, i think thats whats wrong with it.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:33 AM

the seller very well could be telling the truth. i could see how a cd player could be damaged beeing thrown around in those ups/whatever trucks. just as an example, my fiancee bought me a ps2 (brand new) 2 years ago. she had it mailed to me (we live in different cities). i hook it up, and its all screwed up. it more than likely got beat up during the shipping process, it is an electrical item. not a big metal part or something (cam, gears, etc.). needless to say, sony gave me a new one. but they didnt know it was shipped to me from another city, so... personally, i wouldnt buy an item like that (cd player, etc), off the net. first of all, you have no real proof it works, and second, if it gets damaged during the shipping process, whos responsible (ie. loses on the deal)?? the buyer or the seller?pawn shops have some pretty decent cd players (that work, and most of the time have some sort of warranty), for about the same price . jmo and im not taking sides

EDIT: or he could be lying, but you cant really prove it.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by slashz28
the seller very well could be telling the truth. i could see how a cd player could be damaged beeing thrown around in those ups/whatever trucks. just as an example, my fiancee bought me a ps2 (brand new) 2 years ago. she had it mailed to me (we live in different cities). i hook it up, and its all screwed up. it more than likely got beat up during the shipping process, it is an electrical item. not a big metal part or something (cam, gears, etc.). needless to say, sony gave me a new one. but they didnt know it was shipped to me from another city, so... personally, i wouldnt buy an item like that (cd player, etc), off the net. first of all, you have no real proof it works, and second, if it gets damaged during the shipping process, whos responsible (ie. loses on the deal)?? the buyer or the seller?pawn shops have some pretty decent cd players (that work, and most of the time have some sort of warranty), for about the same price . jmo and im not taking sides

EDIT: or he could be lying, but you cant really prove it.
I would be willing to bet money it was screwed up in the UPS truck. I work there. I see what goes on.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:09 AM

why would you even do business with someone called "illegalactivist"? something should have caught your attention. IMO, hopefully you can find the guy and put foot to @ss, otherwise, try getting in touch with the radio manufacturer and tell them about the error. it could be some kind of anti-theft system(system will lock after some many hours or days without power. good luck.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:20 AM

First off, it would be up to the shipper to pack it correctly.

Second, I thought UPS was automaticaly insured up to like $50.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:37 AM

Is it a Bose?
SEC or LOC are security codes...
ERR[not ERR20?] is dirty/scratched CD, CD upside down, or, more likely, moiosture on the optical head.. [or it could be broken]
Should have been packed better than a box and a few peanuts IMO..
Old 10-18-2003, 12:35 PM

The radio was definatly not packaged well. He professes on that it worked before he sent it but if that was the case why didnt he insure it for a $1
Old 10-18-2003, 01:25 PM

The policy with UPS is usually that the package must be packed so that there are two inches of packing on all sides of the item for UPS to pay out on a claim. If they determine that it wasn't packaged correctly, they won't pay you and you'll have to get the money back from either Paypal or the seller.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:50 PM

37 for a CD Player and UPS shipping included? You are making a claim on something that could really have been screwed up on UPS, why make the Seller pay for everything, he is already giving you the Radio almost free... come on...

Make UPS a claim..

There is too much problems going on buying and selling lately... people.. lets adopt ebay.. I think its a lot safer... NO FEEDBACK?? NO BIDDING!!!! Its too hard... there are some sellers that do have some feedback...

PLEASE SELLERS USE COD... Ask for the shipping via paypal and ship COD

Last edited by Highlander; 10-18-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:56 PM

when you ship ups you automatically get $100 insured free also i delt with him i sent him a product before i got the money we went on words i got my money and he got his product i think he is a great guy maybe ups screwed it up by tossing it.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by The Highlander
37 for a CD Player and UPS shipping included? You are making a claim on something that could really have been screwed up on UPS, why make the Seller pay for everything, he is already giving you the Radio almost free... come on...

Make UPS a claim..
This is a good price if the cd player worked. the problem I have with Illegal is that he packaged the radio the way he did and in a box that was too small. And then he tells me " sorry man i cant help you". Instead of getting a working CD player I get one that doesnt work and I have to deal with UPS to get my money back. Would you wanna buy from someone like that?

If I would have known what kinda person he is I wouldnt have bought it from him.

Last edited by spoogen622; 10-18-2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:57 AM

1. it should not be the shippers responcibility to pay for insurance, if the buyer wants insurance, he should say so, ask for it, and pay for it, not expect the shipper to pay for it.
2. UPS insurance is included w/ every package
3. all items should be shipped correctly, so yes this would be the shippers fault
4. 37$.... you ship it back to him for what 15 dollars? so your starting this big argument over 20 dollars.... is it really worth all the stress and checking back here for updates? Yeah it sucks, you lost 20 bucks, thats the risk of dealing with the internet. I got ripped off 400$ from ebay 2 years ago, ebay told me get the money order recept showing he signed for it then mail it to them. I mail it to them as soon as I got it and they inform me that they recieved it 2 days to late so I could no longer be reimbursed the 175$ that they cover. WOW it sucks. Its the internet
5. When you save 50$ on the next few things you buy over the net, your 20$ loss is covered
Old 10-19-2003, 09:11 AM

If I remember hearing how UPS works, insurance is voided if it was not packaged properly. I may be mistaken.

The "doing a favor" point is moot. This was not meant to be a favor, it was meant to be a fee for a product transaction. The buyer paid his money for something that he did not get, PERIOD. Just because he was being "helped out" doesn't mean it is okay that he loses out on the money that he paid. No one forced the seller to go so low on price, and since he did it doesn't mean that his responsibilities end with him using bad packaging.

The price is not the point, the result of the transaction is. The seller could be a little more receptive instead of saying "not my fault, I guess you are screwed." This was a two-person transaction, and I think that the buyer should send the radio back as cheaply as possible after the seller sends half of the money back to the buyer. That way, they SHARE the loss in this transaction instead of one person out of the two taking the loss. Wouldn't that be more fair?

Quick Reply: Please Dont buy from Illegalactivist