LT1-383 with Chapman TFS heads and forged/splayed bottom

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:58 AM

LT1-383 with Chapman TFS heads and forged/splayed bottom

$6500
Used but very good condition. LT1 motor with small drag race profile mechanical roller Crane cam, Chapman Racing TFS cylinder heads, Jesel rockers, Titan gerotor oil pump, Stef's oil pan, Splayed Milodon main caps. This is the motor is currently in my Impala SS clone and it has pulled the car to a 10.7 @ 127 all motor and 10.13 @ 134 with 150hp nitrous jetting.

Quick description of motor:
Trick Flow heads ported by Chapman Racing Heads Valve train is set up for mechanical roller, cam is a "small" Crane track roller of about .620" lift. (I have a Crane street solid roller cam that I can install if you desire).

The bottom end features:
Milodon billet splayed main caps, 4340 forged crank from Ohio Crankshaft purchased as a "blem" with rod journals at 0.010" under, Ohio Crankshaft H-beam 6" rods and Mahle flat-top pistons.

Some other neat items:
Jesel sportsman shaft rockers, ProForm valve covers, Titan sportsman gerotor oil pump, Stef's oil pan, ATI damper

Video of my car with that motor running at Indy with a 150hp nitrous hit and a win light in my lane (on a hole shot), My car is the black primer in the near lane
The engine is located in Saint Leonard Maryland behind my shop and it is currently installed in my 3400lb Impala SS clone. The motor does not come with the Optispark, throttle body, water pump or intake manifold.

I am willing to sell just the short block with the Titan gerotor oil pump and Stef's oil pan for ($3500) then I could keep the Chapman heads which are the crown jewels of the combo.

Personal check preferred. Paypal accepted.
PM to Karl Ellwein if interested.

Here are a few choice photo links of the motor.
TFS heads
crankshaft and Milodon caps
fully assembled
custom oil pan heater which can be removed and plugged with a sight glass
SFI neutral flexplate
bottom end
Mahle pistons .008" in hole
heads and Jesel rockers
valve springs and head studs
Titan gerotor oil pump
Another view of motor when built in 2005
Jesels and pushrods and TFS heads

I'm also offering the motor with a different set of heads, cam and valve train if a more streetable combo would be desirable to the buyer:
$5500 for the same bottom end but with brand new (still in the box) Dart Pro 1 LT1 heads and used Jesel rockers (or new Probe shaft rockers depending on Jesel fitment to Dart heads) and custom Ai camshaft which would be ordered from Ai after you purchase the motor and knowledge of your car combo/application.

Long description of motor:
ERE-383 #3 built by yours truly,
Ellwein Racing Engines ERE-383, 4.030" Mahle forged flat top pistons, Ohio Crank H-beam 6.0" rods, OHIO Crank 4340-Steel 3.75" crankshaft with .010" under rod journals, Clevite H-series main and rod bearings, Mahle rings .028" 1st .036" 2nd, Milodon Splayed Caps in center and stock GM caps at ends and Milodon bolts used--not studs, Machine work by Brinkley Auto Machine Forestville MD, Pistons are .008 in the hole, GM Impala SS head gasket, Static CR about 11.3:1, ATI Damper, B&M Flexplate, Ellwein/Stef's 8" deep oil pan with Titan Gerotor oil pump, Assembled by owner Karl Ellwein

Head Specs:
Trick Flow LT1 fully ported by Chapman Racing Heads. The heads have taller valves and the valve train is set up for an aggresive solid roller cam. The heads cost about $4000 and are probably worth that money.

The cam:
Crane Solid Roller, This is the smallest of their "Track Roller" series, part # 10TR00005 with 112 Lobe Center Angle 242/242/112 duration@.050" .618/.618" lift with 1.6 Jesel shaft rockers, lash at .010" cold, Comp solid roller lifters and Comp pushrods.

The motor is currently in a gutted Impala SS clone (cop-car). It was built by Nabil Guffey with some help by me. Car weight is 3600lb with driver. Best all natural run with that motor configuration is 10.7 @ 127 run. The 127mph trap speed shows the motor at around 575 crank horsepower in cold weather. Car traps 122 - 124mph in the hot summer. The gears in the rear are for nitrous, (4.10's). 4.56 gears would really wake things up to even quicker natural ET, (but not much more mph). The car is not for sale because I'm saving that for a future newly built ERE-383 or ERE-395 motor when and only when I get out of credit card debit.

Here is a web site on the history of the motor and the last 1/2 of the page shows the current heads/cam configuration. http://www.karl-ellwein.org/2005engi...388project.htm

Last edited by quickSS; 11-09-2008 at 01:45 AM. Reason: fix video link
Old 11-09-2008, 10:19 AM

Ive been drooling over this for a while. Did you guys run the stock pcm? What injectors and fuel system to support it? Shift rpm?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Yes, LT1 PCM with a basic Ed Wright foundation tune and I tweaked the tune to throw a ton of fuel for the launch rpm area and I have relativally low spark timing in the overall tune. (my motors last longer when I go overly conservative with spark timing and leave power on the table instead of shooting for that fine line of performance and motor death.... )

30lb SVO injectors with a Metco adjustable fuel pressure regulator, stock Impala SS fuel lines running from trunk and a 5 galon fuel cell in the trunk with one external fuel pump, (an MSD efi fuel pump).

My nitrous fueling set up has really proved reliable over the last few years. First of all I only have a "beginners" nitrous system with 150hp jetting in a throttle body plate set up. I have a stand alone feul system for the nitrous and it's just a small 1 galon tank and an external MSD high pressure fuel pump and it's where the battery would be under hood, (right front corner). So a good reliable 45psi fuel is supplied to the plate. I would never jet higher than 150hp on that motor with the flat top and light weight Mahle pistons.

Shift points manually performed by driver at reaction to shift light, (6200 light) and so the shift is from 6500 to 6800 rpm. It goes through the traps at around 6200rpm and one day I would like to put 4.88 gears in there and go for a trap of 7000rpm and 10.5 ET goal. I borrowed a few parts from the car to send to Sweden earlier this year so the car sits on jack stands. Thus the idea to sell the motor that is in the car now. I'm going to concentrate my mod and racing energies on my road race black 95 Impala SS and thus selling the motor from "The Black Wolf" will give me a good chunk of bill paying money for credit card debit. When all my bills are paid off then I'll be putting together another motor for The black Wolf. That's the story and reason for selling a perfectly good and strong running motor. Plus I do enjoy trying out new combos so selling the motor would almost force me to fill the spot with something else.

Karl
Old 11-09-2008, 11:49 PM

interested in selling the second set of heads? the darts? what CC intake , and all?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Zeetwentyfate
interested in selling the second set of heads? the darts? what CC intake , and all?
I'll get more info to you in a PM but that other set of heads is really a fresh set of Dart Pro 1's still in the box that I just keep as shelf stock for future motor builds. Actually I think Jeg's would have a better deal on those than what I could offer.

That Dart set of heads I have are still in the unopened box. They are Dart Pro 1 LT1 Patinums that have 58cc combustion chambers and the 1.437" diameter valve springs.
Part number 11111112L Alum 180cc intake runner volume 58cc chamber, assembled with 2.02/1.60" valves, 1.437"D double springs, (good for most .600" lift hydraulic cams).
check em out at Dart's web page.
http://www.dartheads.com/products/he...ro1-heads.html

Jeg's http://www.jegs.com/i/Dart/301/11111112L/10002/-1

Those are the heads that I would put on the short block in place of the Chapman TFS heads if you want to go with a streetable hydraulic camshaft in place of the solid roller that the Chapmans are set up for. And note that I would order a new cam for the motor from Ai and install it after knowing the car/driving application. (and if I did put the Darts on the motor it would be $5500 for the motor and with the current Chapman TFS heads and solid roller set up it would be $6500).

The Darts being unported would choke it down a bit but I would bet a nice Ai hydraulic cam would get you a 475 crank horsepower rumpity street motor. (I say that because I know that the GM 846 cam makes 440/454 hp/tq at the crank those heads). link to test of Dart headed LT1 383 with GM 846 cam

Karl Ellwein

Last edited by quickSS; 11-10-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 PM

here is a mild bump for my thread.

Same motor for sale and same options and same pricing.

Karl Ellwein