Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Help, Electrical issue, I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 06:59 AM

Unhappy Help, Electrical issue, I think

This is what happened, I was driving down lougheed and I started hearing a loud whining noise then my headlights and inter-lights dimmed, and engine lost power then everything come back up and running. I noticed a smell in my car like electrical short. I did a U turn and headed back home luckily I was near my home. I parked my car and turned it off, I tried to crank it up again but it turned a little and the lights dimmed but would not turn over. Does anyone out there know what this could be?

Last edited by IPISSONFORDS; 09-10-2004 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Re: Help, Electrical issue, I think

The loud whining sound was likely your alternator. When alternators are charging hard they make a whine. However, if the charge light was not on before the battery died its probably not just the alternator. Sound like its either a shorted battery or a short on the + battery cable. If the battery is bulged, or leaking be very careful as it may blow up. Wear safety glasses and know where a hose is so you can hose yourself/car off immediatly if it does. Unfortionatly the burning smell was likely your alternator eating itself trying to charge full tilt so you will likely need one of them too.
Thats the best advice I can give w/o knowing more details.
CoryM
Old 09-10-2004, 09:20 AM

Re: Help, Electrical issue, I think

Originally Posted by CoryM
The loud whining sound was likely your alternator. When alternators are charging hard they make a whine. However, if the charge light was not on before the battery died its probably not just the alternator. Sound like its either a shorted battery or a short on the + battery cable. If the battery is bulged, or leaking be very careful as it may blow up. Wear safety glasses and know where a hose is so you can hose yourself/car off immediatly if it does. Unfortionatly the burning smell was likely your alternator eating itself trying to charge full tilt so you will likely need one of them too.
Thats the best advice I can give w/o knowing more details.
CoryM
Thanks cory I am at work now but I take a look when I get off