New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:46 PM

Good day all,
I am n ew to the Camaro community, normally play with corvette. but I came upon a 94 Z28 with 77K miles, it sat for several years. It needs some attention, got it running, before I can drive with some confidence I need the cooling system upgraded. New water pump and the works. What's the trick with the water pump replacement? Is it the usual stuff, get things out of the way and remove any mount bolts and re-install a new pump. I understand the Opti spark might get wet. Any tricks in keeping that dry during the pump replacement. Thanks in advance.
Ben
Old 11-28-2018, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Re: New member

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

The 1994 factory service manual can be handy. Free download here, courtesy of GaryDoug:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Did one of your previous Corvettes have the LT1 engine? If not, there are some unique features of a “hidden” bolt, the gear driven water pump, timing cover driveshaft seal install, bleeding air from the cooling system, etc.. The Opti can be protected by stuffing rags on top of it.

One of the best sources of LT1 info on the Internet is the Shoebox site:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids
Old 11-28-2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Welcome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

The 1994 factory service manual can be handy. Free download here, courtesy of GaryDoug:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Did one of your previous Corvettes have the LT1 engine? If not, there are some unique features of a “hidden” bolt, the gear driven water pump, timing cover driveshaft seal install, bleeding air from the cooling system, etc.. The Opti can be protected by stuffing rags on top of it.

One of the best sources of LT1 info on the Internet is the Shoebox site:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

No, most of the corvettes I've own were the C3 and most recent the C7, one 2014 3LT/Z51 Stingray and 2017 Z06 3LZ/Z07. I don't have them anymore. I got hooked on the classic cars, 1941 Special Deluxe Chevy and soon a 1937 ford Coupe with flathead V8. The Camaro was a bonus from my motorcycle purchase. I thought I would play with it with some bolt on for some added power. I drove it after I replace the starter; this car has some tq. I am going to apply some more modern upgrades to it. Carbon fiber inside, hood and trunk wrap. I have some C4 ZR1 wheels; I was wondering if they will fit on this car?

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-28-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Depends on whether they are ZR1 wheels (may stick outside the fenders) or ZR1/Grand Sport offset wheels (tuck in nicely under the fenders). The 17”x11.0” rears may require some minor inner fender modifications.

See post #9 in this “sticky” thread on the “Wheels and Tres” forum:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/whe...2/#post3422887