New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

New here

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 PM

New here

Hello ya'll. Yes, I am new here but I need some advice, help or info on doing a swap in my car. She is a 94 Camaro, she came with the 3.4L V-6 with the 5 speed and I have swapped the 3.4 for another 3.4 but with no luck she will not start. Yes, I have swapped the computers and had both tested and they are working fine. So now with not getting her back to her original state, my husband and I are going to pull the V-6 and replace that with an old school 350 V-8. Can anyone please help me with info about using the 5 speed standard on an old school or will I have to use a standard from a 4.3L, and can I use the one piece drive shaft I have in there already (blew that apart racing a few years ago). Thanks in advance for reading this.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Re: New here

Welcome.

To swap in an "old school" V8 (why not use an LT1 350?) you will need some significant changes - you will need the complete K-member from a 93-97 4th Gen V8 car. Include the complete front suspension, to get the beefier springs required to support the cast iron head Gen 1 SBC's weight.

If you run a carb, the fuel system will need to be modified to accommodate the much lower pressure required by the carb. The T-5 trans that is sitting behind the 3.4L V6 is not going to handle the torque from a 350 V8 very well. GM would not put the T-5 behind the L98 350 V8 used in the later 3rd Gen cars, because they considered it too weak. Not even sure if the T-5 from the 3.4L will even bolt up.

Fitting the Gen 1 SBC rear mounted distributor under the 4th Gen cowl will be a challenge, and you may need an aftermarket hood to clear the carb/air cleaner. The 1-piece DS should be fine, assuming you can come up with a trans overall dimension that matches the current engine/trans.

There's a "sticky" V6 swap thread at the top of the "V6 Tech" forum that may answer some of your questions.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-...ead-v6-150164/
Old 08-12-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the great info.. I can use a turbo 400 with the old school 350 even though I truly want to keep the standard. Beefing up the front end is something I figured we would have to do with it since the 3.4L stout but lighter than an old school 350.
As for the different mounts for the V-6 to the V-8, that can be handled with some grinding and welding or some new pilot holes in the sub frame....correct? Once, again thanks for all the information. I would rather have the old school versus the LT1..don't care for the location of the distributor cap...under the water pump..no thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Can't modify the,subframe. The K-member carries the engine mounts and the entire front suspension. The K-member bolts to the unibody subframes.The one on your V6 is totally different than the one used for the V8. They need to be swapped.

TH400 is overkill for a stock or moderately modified 350. And, the lack of an O/D 4th gear will drive you nuts on the freeway. 700R4 is a better choice. I have a TH400 behind my 381ci LT1, but that's an 800HP/800lb-ft nitrous motor. And I had to add a Gear Vendors O/D unit to keep the RPM reasonable on the freeway, with the 4.11 gears.