New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

Just saying hello and Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM

Thumbs up Just saying hello and Thanks

I'm new to the site but have been using it to help diagnose a starting problem with my Z. This has been the most informative forum so I decided to join. I'll post any questions in the correct locations, I hope...LOL
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Re: Just saying hello and Thanks

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I lived in Cypress from 1983-1993.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:29 PM

Too bad for me that you're in NJ now. I could use some help removing the opti in my 94 Z. I've run into a problem removing the water pump. 5 bolts removed so far but I can't find the 6th. I've removed the air pump to see if that will help. I'm on lunch break to cool off. Trying to remain patient through this. Sucks so far. I've never done it.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Administrator

The AIR pump attaches using one of the water pump bolts - actually a stud.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Got it off. Turned out to be air pump bracket mounted in front of the pump. I've got the opti out and the timing cover cleaned off. I prepped the water pump for install tomorrow morning but I'm concerned about opti install. The splined gear stayed in the cover so I pulled it out to verify the keyed spline. What concerns me is lining the splines to the opti so the timing is correct. Any help you can proved would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Administrator

You just have to make sure you get the correct alignment, per Shoebox's photo:

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

Note that the shaft has a similar engagement design in the back of the Opti. If the splined shaft stayed in the cam sprocket, make sure you put it into the back of the Opti correctly.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 AM

So if I understand correctly, the gear is keyed on both ends of the splines? Cam side and opti side?

BTW, the new opti came with a new spline gear installed so it seems that I just need to line it up with the cam. I'll mark the cover close to where the index is located into the cam and work from there. Hopefully it won't be much trouble.

Thanks for responses and guidance during this install. It's great to have the support from other members. I'll post updates after I get everything back together.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Administrator

The key is "don't force it".... some people get it almost on, then use the Opti bolts to pull is down where it belongs.... big mistake.

If you could get the odd tooth in the cam sprocket at the 12:00 position, then see where you have to hold the rotor to keep the odd tooth on the shaft at 12:00 it might make it a bit easier.

But I understand the new AC Delco parts come with a warning that opening the case voids the warranty. That is unfortunate, because it's a good idea to loc-tite the rotor screws before installing, to make sure they don't back out over time - a common problem with most brands.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Well, I took my time and everything went on smoothly. Opti went on good and managed to get everything back on except for the water pump neck. It's pitted so bad it has a pin hole in it. I'm going to JB weld a patch on it for now but order a new one as a back up.

Without the mass air sensor or coolant in it, I tried to see if it would start but that's a no go. I went through about 5 or 6 tries but all it did was sputter and cough. Now I get a 41 DTC where before I got a 16 DTC. I'm not even sure what that means. I'll be looking it up asap.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Make sure you plugged the ICM connectot in.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:41 PM

I believe that I've got every connector plugged into the coil that's there but I'll check again tomorrow after work. Let me drop you a quick question, the electrode tip on the coil was corroded with a white scale as well as the coil wire which was rusty. I tried to save the coil wire but ended up breaking it apart so I had to buy a set of wires to get a new one to put on. The wires were the least expensive set at autozone btw. Anyway, do you think the coil maybe damaged? It looks as if some type of condensate got into that coil wire boot and caused that corrosion.

I did go through the sticky on how to diagnose a bad opti and all the voltage levels checked good so that lead me to believe the opti was bad as well as the 16 DTC. The code was in the history not in currect codes. After clearing it, it never came back even after several atempts to start the Z. I decided to change the opti anyway but it's possible after all this I'll end up with a good OEM opti...LOL

I think I may have found the problem. I couldn't help myself so I went out to check the coil connectors and those were all good. However, it looks as if I may have broken the ground lug connectors, 2 of them, on the stud at the coil bracket. I had a lot of trouble trying to break the locknut loose that the rotation may have stretched them till the lug tore. There's very little material left holding them on the stud. Even if I can fix them, I still have to figure out how to break that locknut off.

Last edited by maxmex; 09-21-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Add new info
Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Administrator

DTC 41 indicates an open circuit on the ICM. The broken ground strap would explain that.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:39 PM

Well, I finally got back to working on the Z and re-crimped new ring lugs on all the broken grounds. Reassembled everything and it still didn't start. It continued to sputter and cough as it has before. I wasn't able to pull any DTC's from the computer as I had the battery disconnected for over 48 hours. Since the last code was 41, timing circuit failure open, I'm going to take the ICM/coil assembly to Oriellys to have it checked. I'm running out of ideas without any codes to help figure it out.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 PM

Welcome to the site, maxmex. I joined for similar reasons: the tech help here is really good.

I'm new to LT1's and opti's so reading for my edification. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Tapatalk on a Note 2.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:00 PM

Thanks Not Dave. Yeah the tech help is great here. Even if the direct replies don't help solve the problem, the posts from others can get you started looking at few other things.

Oriellys double checked the ICM and it was good so I connected everything back up. After a 15 second start attempt I never got a new DTC. I was stumped so I began to check the electrical system for the prior 41 DTC hoping to find anything but all were good. In an attempt to see if it would work, I purchased a cheap Borg Warner coil just in case. After installing it in the ICM/coil bracket, the car started on the first try. OMG, I was so happy !!! I'd been suspicious of the coil from the get go but oh well. The car now has a new water pump, thermostat, opti, coil and belt. And now I know more about the car then I did before.

A special shout out to INJUNEER for the help and guidance thru this fix.