New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

95 lt1

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 12:57 PM

95 lt1

hey guys I just bought a 1995 z28 for 500 bucks and I took it to the mechanic for a diagnostics test but he told me the engine was stuck and wouldn't turn over but when I first tried to turn it over, (before I brought it to him) it cranked a little bit then it just clicked and everytime after that just a click the previous owner said he put a new starter in it but it still wouldn't start. when I told it to my house with ratchet straps and a pick up truck I noticed that there was a really strong smell of gasoline coming from the engine bay. I really wanna keep the lt1 in there but im not sure if its worth it... I was thinking about checking the injectors and the fpr but maybe its better to just ls swap it?
Old 07-27-2019, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Re: 95 lt1

Pull the plugs and try and crank it. Leaking injectors and/or a leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm can flood and hydrolock the engine. Pull the vacuum compensation line off the fuel pressure regulator to see if it is wet with fuel. To test for leaking injectors, turn key to run (no start) and see how high the pressure goes after the pump primes for two seconds and turns off. Should reach at least 40 PSI. Watch how fast the pressure drops when the pump shuts off. Rapid pressure loss may indicate leaking injectors or FPR.

To early to determine if you need to replace the engine.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:11 PM

This is what I see when I turn it on
im sorry man im new to Camaros and to cars period first time evr owning any time of car that I need to work on which pressure are you talking about?

Last edited by dav1d99; 07-27-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:38 PM
Administrator

The fuel pressure has to be tested with a fuel pressure test gauge. It isn’t shown on any of the dash gauges. If you don’t have one, you can usually borrow/rent one at an an auto parts store. It attaches to a connection on the fuel line, behind the intake manifold, called the Schrader valve. Photo courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/fp_reg.jpg.