New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:12 PM

Question True Duals?

i was contemplating a true dual set-up, but the tricky part is that i need it to pass emissions, so that means i need to fit 2 cars under there.

i was thinking of going w/ Hooker or Jet Hot LTs, all 3" piping, and 2 bullets or something similar for mufflers. should i get a Dr. Gas X-pipe too? what cats should i go with? is there even a way to fit 2 cats under these cars?

how does that parts list look? can you get the Hooker LTs w/ the emissions stuff or only the Jet Hots? what will i need as far as emissions equipment goes...like O2 sensors and stuff? the best idea would probably to buy the parts online other than the piping and bring it to the shop and have them install and do the piping right, cuz i cant do headers myself, and im sure no1 would really wanna help considering they take forever to do. what is a good shop to go to and how much will this run me?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Jake
Old 06-23-2003, 07:24 AM

There was a chick at the GMHTP shootout that had true duals made for her Formula and she paid $1800 (for the catback) for it installed. I took some pics, not sure which ones but if you look through you'll find them www.tta89.net/gmhtp/

The true duals sound nice but have ground clearance issues.

If you're worried about emissions, I would consider the setup I have. FLP longtubes with dual cats / off road pipes. You can switch between cats and the off road pipes in 10 minutes and then I got a 4" mufflex with spin tech muffler.

http://www.geocities.com/marc94z/flp.html

http://www.geocities.com/marc94z28/4inchmufflex.html

Marc
Old 06-23-2003, 07:48 AM

True Duals are stupid, first of all there is not that much HP to be gained in an exhaust system. Second you are going to add a bunch of weight to the car which is going to offset the 4hp that you might gain with an exhuast system. Third its really expensive and won't be any better than a good single 3inch exhaust setup until your making lots and lots of power.

So the moral of the story is.... Order a 3inch Catback exhaust from your favorite Vendor. Pocket the extra money or spend it on parts that are actually going to give you a noticable difference.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:55 AM

I guess i'll take that advice then, forget about the true duals, and just buy a cat-back.

In your opinion, what are the best LTs? the Jet Hot, Hooker, and FLP are the only brands i know of really that people normally use. which one of these gives the best gains, sounds the best, what about costs, and what about which 1 is best for clearance?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 06-23-2003, 12:05 PM

FLP's are the best as far as ground clearance goes plus it is nice to be able to quickly change between cats and off road pipes.

Cost is relative as FLP's come as a kit and the other ones you have to piece together as no one sells a Hooker longtube with cats. Mufflex does make a long tube Y pipe but it does not have provisions for cats.

Marc
Old 06-23-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Jcb890

In your opinion, what are the best LTs? the Jet Hot, Hooker, and FLP are the only brands i know of really that people normally use. which one of these gives the best gains, sounds the best, what about costs, and what about which 1 is best for clearance?

Thanks,
Jake
FLP's run real close to the engine, making spark plug changes a bitch. They are tight against the floorpan, so much so that my friend had to clearance the floorpan on the driver's side since they would hit when he loaded the engine.

Hookers have the best spark plug access - they come the farthest away from the motor, but then you have to worry about heat shielding or relocating the abs sensor wires as well as the starter/knock sensor wires, and the cruise control cable. The Hookers also don't come with AIR or EGR fittings. They also hang low, but I have yet to scrub them (stock ride height). My y-pipe is the lowest point of my exhaust. There is also no bolt-in cat y-pipe that i know of. I drove down to NJ to Mufflex to have a custom one made.

I think cost and performance gains would be similar, the difference might be in the y-pipe. The FLP y-pipe is 2.5", whereas my custom pipe is 3". I don't think it really gives me much more, and I'm at the 440 hp (crank) level.

The Jet-Hots are a relatively new design, I haven't see them yet.

Last edited by jgeorger; 06-23-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:17 PM

Hookers have the best spark plug access

hee hee hee, that just sounds dirty

i'm gonna be getting a new exhaust soon too but thats b/c mine rotted off this winter at the muffler and that fell off about 3 days after it came back on the road...... the hanger finally rotted off so i pulled the intermediate pipe off and am just running headers w/ a y-pipe and hollow cat

i'm gonna be doing a true dual setup, depending on cost i'm sick of my current setup anyways, y-pipe bangs on the sfc and having a blowmaster on there..... mmmm long tubes, true duals, and dynomax super turbos
Old 06-23-2003, 04:28 PM

the reason i contemplated true duals wasn't exactly for performance...i was/am well aware that i am not crankin out tons of hp so that i need a really free-flowing system, but true duals would b sweet and would sound awesome.

Jake
Old 06-23-2003, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by jgeorger
FLP's run real close to the engine, making spark plug changes a bitch.
Wouldn't want to break a nail now would we he, he they are not bad, I got a telescoping spark plug socket and it's pretty easy.

Originally posted by jgeorger
They are tight against the floorpan, so much so that my friend had to clearance the floorpan on the driver's side since they would hit when he loaded the engine.

Everyone once in a blue moon mine will bang, some dude posted a header bang fix page.....basically you wrap header wrap around the tube and then put a hose clamp through a heater hose (small section of hose just at the top so its not metal hitting metal) and clamp it all together and when / if it hit's you don't hear it
Old 06-24-2003, 04:16 PM

I'm with you jake, true duals do sound better..... thats actually the exact reason why i'm doing it
Old 06-24-2003, 11:26 PM

Jayman, wanna tag-team these biatches? ill buy the pizza and give u $ to buy beer, and u do all the work cuz i dont know jack sh|t haha, man true duals wud b sweet...

Jake
Old 06-25-2003, 04:31 PM

i'm having Lou's Custom Exhaust do mine for me, I have a really good hookup b/c my best friend's dad is friends with Lou Jr.

they've done good work for me in the past and so i'm going back to them
Old 06-25-2003, 06:47 PM

I have to agree, true duals do sound better. Anyone listen to the new GTO soundbites at the Pontiac website. Supposedly the GM engineers spent a lot of time trying to make it sound mean, like the original GTO.

Joe
Old 06-25-2003, 11:40 PM

Jayman, can u gimme a rough estimate on how much the job would run and what it entails?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 06-26-2003, 08:04 AM

Have you ever considered SLP's Loudmouth exhaust?

Quick Reply: True Duals?