New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

S10 failed MA inspection again this year

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Unhappy S10 failed MA inspection again this year

Well, last year it was ball joints & e-brake, this year they are saying the tie-rod or possibly the idler arm(s?)? I was there for the inspection and saw the wiggle of the d-side front wheel and the amount of play when they checked it while the front end was jacked up. I don't debate that it was too loose, and needs to be addressed, but am curious if those parts go bad? When I was having my front brakes done last year (same technicion), and after having the new ball joints installed, he noticed that the d-side ball joint was loose on the lower a-arm and he tightended it down, or some part of it down, I am not a tech, I watched him tighten something down, can a ball joint be tightened?, I am uncertain? but it did feel different after him doing it, and it wasn't clunking anymore. Anyway, I am wondering if that is all it is again? and not the tie-rod or idler arm(s?)? Well, it's going in Tues to be fixed, I am going to remind him of tightening down something on the front d-side. We'll see....
Old 03-17-2007, 11:03 AM

do u go to westfield state?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
do u go to westfield state?
I went to WSC, graduated in '96. Grew up in Westfield within walking distance to WSC and recently bought a house on the way to WSC, halfway between Noble Hospital & Highland Elementry School.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JeffsWorld
Well, last year it was ball joints & e-brake, this year they are saying the tie-rod or possibly the idler arm(s?)? I was there for the inspection and saw the wiggle of the d-side front wheel and the amount of play when they checked it while the front end was jacked up. I don't debate that it was too loose, and needs to be addressed, but am curious if those parts go bad? When I was having my front brakes done last year (same technicion), and after having the new ball joints installed, he noticed that the d-side ball joint was loose on the lower a-arm and he tightended it down, or some part of it down, I am not a tech, I watched him tighten something down, can a ball joint be tightened?, I am uncertain? but it did feel different after him doing it, and it wasn't clunking anymore. Anyway, I am wondering if that is all it is again? and not the tie-rod or idler arm(s?)? Well, it's going in Tues to be fixed, I am going to remind him of tightening down something on the front d-side. We'll see....
The ball joint is a tapered shaft that goes into the steering knuckle. That can be tightened - but that is not usually loose and is dangerous. Every ball joint I've seen has a castle nut thru which you put a cotter pin so they cannot loosen. When someone says a ball joint or tie-rod is loose (or worn) they usually mean the joint itself. As the name implies a ball joint is simply a ball in a socket. Inner and outer tie rod ends are pretty much the same. They can and do go bad, as can the idler arm. Typically if I were to buy a GM vehicle over 100K miles I would replace all these items and all the bushings as well to make the front end tight again.

Usually lower ball joints are pressed in - and uppers are riveted. But I have seem some lowers that are bolted in (my 2000 Grand Prix) being the example. So I suppose this could have been loose if yours has this kind of setup.

Joe
Old 03-25-2007, 01:54 PM

blazer balljoints are bolted in but those bolts arn't supposed to come loose either/the blazer balljoints have a looseness gauge can't rember how much it is allowed but there is several parts in front end that become loose-balljoints(upper and lower)tie rod ends(inner and outer)idler arm and pitman arm(are just as common to play as balljoints and tie rods)if you trust this shop you go to fine but you can request to see what is loose before it is removed
Old 03-25-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by JeffsWorld
I went to WSC, graduated in '96. Grew up in Westfield within walking distance to WSC and recently bought a house on the way to WSC, halfway between Noble Hospital & Highland Elementry School.
do u suggest going to westfield state college? i got into it and am decieding on it...its really cheap and sounds cool...but i dn

its either George Mason, Umass Amherst, Umass Dartmouth, or Westfield state..... lol didnt get into northeastern lol
Old 03-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Thanks all for the info. Well, it turns out it was the idler arm. Cost me $108 to have it replaced, oh well, at least the "R" sticker is gone now. Let's see what happens next year...
Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
do u suggest going to westfield state college? i got into it and am decieding on it...its really cheap and sounds cool...but i dn

its either George Mason, Umass Amherst, Umass Dartmouth, or Westfield state..... lol didnt get into northeastern lol
WSC is a decent school, no worse or better than any others. What is your specific goal/major? WSC has a few majors that they are known for. Plus the classes are smaller, like any college, it is what you put into it. I liked it, got a job in the field that I majored in. I wouldn't say it was really "cheap", but it is a State School w/ in-State resident rates. All State schools seem to be at a lower cost than the private colleges. They just added a HUGE sports complex & health center building/fields to the campus and have acquired more land for further expansion/infrastructure. ...UMASS Amherst (a.k.a. the ZOO) is decent as well, huge campus, A LOT of students, nice grounds, downtown Amherst is nice/trendy, and you are a short distance to Northampton. A little more pricey though as with any University, took some grad classes there.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:04 PM

im thinking about majoring in finance
Old 04-01-2007, 10:25 AM

hey dude what year is that s-10. because s-10s are notorious for having excesiv eplay from the factory and its totally acceptable to pass them on that basis (im a state inpesctor) they specifically told us at the inspection school that i fyou getn s-1 with a loose front end to measure it and if its within i think 1/4 inch of play then its still fine. its wierd but thank gm for using really crappy specs when building those trucks. its somethign you may wana go investigate and possibly appeal the inspection.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crovax WS-6
hey dude what year is that s-10. because s-10s are notorious for having excesiv eplay from the factory and its totally acceptable to pass them on that basis (im a state inpesctor) they specifically told us at the inspection school that i fyou getn s-1 with a loose front end to measure it and if its within i think 1/4 inch of play then its still fine. its wierd but thank gm for using really crappy specs when building those trucks. its somethign you may wana go investigate and possibly appeal the inspection.
just want to make sure you are talking about balljoint play cause they are the only parts on the s-10 that are allowed play/any other part in the front end that is loose is in need of replacement(been mass inspector for 12yrs)
Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Crovax WS-6
Thanks for the info, at this point after having replaced the idler arm it passed. I will keep this in mind should it fail again next year, it's a 2000 S-10 LS 4x4 std cab. -Jeff