New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Houston, er uh, Mass residents, we have a problem....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 07:43 AM

Post Houston, er uh, Mass residents, we have a problem....

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

IT'S BACK! Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Resurfaces

The bill (H.B. 3593) to prohibit the sale or installation of "an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust" has been approved by the Massachusetts Legislature's Joint Committee on Public Safety. This is the same bill that was sent out for study last year. It has not been revised from the original. It remains an extremely damaging piece of legislation. H.B. 3593 will next be considered by the House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee and could soon be voted on by the full House of Representatives.

Call, Fax or E-Mail Members of the Committee and Your Own State Legislators Immediately to Oppose This Bill!

* H.B. 3593 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

* H.B. 3593 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

* H.B. 3593 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

* H.B. 3593 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

Call, fax or e-mail the Committee members and your own state legislators immediately to oppose this legislation. This bill tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Massachusetts. If you need assistance in determining who your own legislators are, please contact the Massachusetts General Court at 617/722-1276. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007 or via the Internet at http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legisla...egislator.asp.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:13 PM

Wink

What garbage. That must mean that at all Harleys will now be outlawed. They're in violation in stock form, aren't they:=)

They want to increase our taxes and not cut spending. In the meantime they give themselves midnight pay raises and give their relatives cushy jobs. Most of us just bend over and take it. WAKE-Up before it's too late:=)

Yes. I will do my part and call. Though, the clowns will probably want a donation before they speak with you.

As long as towns and inspection centers have records of maintenance and calibration on decimal meters, along with a database of stock exhaust levels for all cars and trucks (which I presume the auto industry has) they could do this(here come more taxes). If towns have noise laws, they wouldn't need that database. They would only need to measure and find noise above which the law allows (which some Ma towns have).

It's not a "Public Safety" issue, it's an "Extract More Money From The Taxpayer" issue. These guys only derive their power from their ability to tax and spend. And boy oh boy, our elected boys and girls from MA are doing everything they freakin can to hold onto that power.

(i know, i was bored today:=)

Oh, I meant to say decible meter. Moron.

------------------
Arctic White 97Z, A4, Monochrome Hardtop, Motive 3.73's, G2 Girdle,
A4 Rebuild, Shift Kit,Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 3200, Carbon Fiber DS, Moroso CAI, JBA dual cat shorties, stock y-pipe assembly, SLP 2OTL, Taylor over the valve cover wires and looms w/ Taylor plug boot heat shields, 1LE Bellows, Airfoil, LT4KM, HPP+,GMS MAF, 160 TS, G2 Crank Pulley,March Alternator Pulley, Stock Wheels/BFGR DR's.
Bests/same run/2800 stall: 13.014 @ 103.77 (1.804 60'and 8.252 @ 81.96 1/8).
2001 Monte Carlo SS-Black

[This message has been edited by POLO97Z (edited June 11, 2002).]

Old 06-11-2002, 01:45 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by POLO97Z:
What garbage. That must mean that at all Harleys will now be outlawed. They're in violation in stock form, aren't they:=)

</font>

I would vote for it if that were the case. I hate HARLEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
-Mike
1989 Turbo Trans-Am
|11.25@121|11s For $1000 Bucks|HomePage

1998 Trans-Am LS1 6-Speed
|13.10@106|Mods|296HP/319TQ Stock
Old 06-11-2002, 04:58 PM

Don't they have better things to do? Like get better security at the airport?

They are probly going to try to get a bill for those kids with loud radios next.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:02 PM

somebody tell me who to yell at and I'll go yell....

this sucks
Old 06-13-2002, 01:14 PM

If your' exhaust is offensive, and you drive too fast, or to endanger then the authorities should have the ability to yank your a** off the public roads.

------------------
'01 SS #0636
BLACK & TAN, M6
Old 06-13-2002, 01:22 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ODEAN:
If your' exhaust is offensive, and you drive too fast, or to endanger then the authorities should have the ability to yank your a** off the public roads.

</font>
hmmmm so what would an offensive exhaust be? cause if you are talking about the 4" pipes that come off a honda and sound like a weedwacker then yes that is offensive, but if its something like a true dual exhaust coming from headers and going out something like dynomax mufflers w/ 3" pipes then no that is not offensive.

I'm sure not many people will disagree with me on this comment, but thats the thing..... who is going to decide what offensive is?
what about my neighbor and his deisel pickup truck that wakes me up in the morning in the winter time when he heads out to plow, thats about as loud as my car but his stuff is stock so is wouldn't be illegal?

this is what bothers me the most about things like this. there will never be a compromise that everyone will be happy with, hell I wanna be able to put any kind of exhaust on that I like, not what the government tells me what to like.... its not like I'm going to run open headers on the street all the time (although I have before )

------------------
Jay
black 85 Z28 - waiting on a new paint job, then she'll be real purty
87 Chevy S10 Blazer- 2.8 liters of pure fury

Jay's Website
yahoo im: wildcat856
AIM: Jayman85Z
Homer no function beer well without
check out GMPerformance.org
Old 06-13-2002, 04:15 PM

What is an email address I can reach one of these people at? that website never works for me.

------------------
I WOULD RATHER PUSH A CAMARO THAN DRIVE AN IMPORT

1983Z28
Superramed roller 406 10.5 compression, AFR 195's and custom cam.

future mods:
N20 waiting to be installed

Wifes new car:

1995 Z28
AT, leather, T-tops bone stock for now. 250 RWHP 300 RWT 14.0 @ 99 MPH on a 2.2 60'

future mods:
header to tailpipe replacement and a cold air intake. Then I am just going to leave it alone (maybe)
Old 06-13-2002, 11:10 PM

Angry

count me in. where do I get the petition going?

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:21 PM

http://www.state.ma.us/legis/legis.htm

there is the website..email everyone you can on that...cut and paste if you need to..but email that to everyone there the bill # and what it will do...
Hey why dont we post it on the Lounge..and have the rest of the country chime in on the stupidity of MA. they would live to get 1000 emails from Muscle car guys from all over the counrty..lol
Old 06-13-2002, 11:30 PM

here is the chariman of Public Safety..

Rep.TimothyToomey@hou.state.ma.us

email him!

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 06-17-2002, 05:02 PM

Thumbs down

Geez, I feel bad for you MA guys! That law is CLEARLY bull****, and was made by guys who's only experience with cars were Micro Machines and Hot Wheels. I could just see the lawmakers now...

"Those exhausts are crazy! They're fast and furious! We're all gonna die! AAAGGHHH!!!"

------------------
--David--
1995 white Firebird 3.4 V6 A4 w/ T-tops
Mods:Kenwood KDC516S stereo, front and rear Alpine speakers, Flowmaster 80 series, Firebat and Autografics decals, Moroso CAI, Rally Foglights, Painted interior (Silver Metallic), 3 10" MTX Thunder 6000 subs, BMR STB, Zaino, !speed, !horsepower Help CT get a dragstrip!
Old 06-17-2002, 07:23 PM

This is the e-mail I sent to Rep. T. Toomey ...
To : Rep.T. Toomey ,
This is in regards to House Bill 3593 .
If this bill does get passed (or is passed already) it does not help out the average taxpayer other than making him/her pay more money for the original equipment that was offered from the factory should your exhaust rust or rot out from the extreme New England winters and the salt that is involved .Most people that live in this great state can not afford to purchase a new exhaust every other year (never mind a new or newer vehicle) , and if you look at the prices of what the factories (such as GM,Ford,Chrysler) charge for a replacement exhaust , and a lot of people will be very unhappy , but if you look at what an aftermarket exhaust costs in comparison and from the advantages listed below you can clearly see that the performance/aftermarket exhaust wins .
With an aftermarket exhaust you will noticed an increase in not only fuel mileage , but also the performance will rise greatly . The aftermarket exhaust will also last longer than it's counterpart (original equipment) due to the materials that it's made from (i.e. stainless steel , or aluminized metals) and save the average taxpayer some more of that hard earned money .
So please either reconsider this Bill that is either before you or if it is passed please come up with a standard that all Massachusetts inspection stations to follow .
Thank you .
Andre Greene bowtiepwr (home owner/taxpayer)
western,Massachusetts
what do you think ?
Later ...
stay safe