N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

When to use seperate fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:00 AM

When to use seperate fuel system?

Ok, I'm gonna run a direct port shot on a forged rotating assembly. What I have yet to figure out, is when do you say [edit] the stock fuel system and start running your fuel from a seperate cell? I am thinking of running a 200 shot at first, but I will probably bump it up to 300 eventually. It's a wet shot. So will the stock fuel rails hold up to it (with a 255 in tank pump, or maybe two?) or is a seperate fuel cell needed? and any any basic information on running a seperate fuel cell would be nice too (do you treat it like a fuel tank? just throw a fuel pump in it and run a braided line to the solenoid?)

Last edited by Injuneer; 05-10-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Banned

Re: When to use seperate fuel system?

This isn't really a HP issue. When you run a seperate fuel system with a wet kit you do so in order to use expensive racing fuel on the wet side without having to actually fill your entire tank with it.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:42 AM

Partially true. That is one of the big reasons for going standalone but remember the fuel pump has to support the total HP amount. So if he was spraying a 300 shot on top of a 450 HP motor the pump would have to support 750 HP. That's a sumped tank and external FP territory, which might be fine on a all out race car but not the ideal set up for something that might see some street time. That's where a stand alone can come in real handy too, why run a large pump if you don't have to?

Matt

Originally Posted by LameRandomName
This isn't really a HP issue. When you run a seperate fuel system with a wet kit you do so in order to use expensive racing fuel on the wet side without having to actually fill your entire tank with it.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 PM

My racetronix harness is already pre-wired for a second fuel pump, but my question is where do most people mount the aux fuel cell and pump for a system like this? Anyone have pics?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Banned

Matt -
Good point.

I mean, obviously you need more fuel, which is why I upgraded my pump & injectors for my dry system. In fact, I think I bought one of those things from YOU.

I think I got the kit from Dave, the pump from you and the injectors from racetronix.

Anyway, you're obviously correct. I just never think about it because it's just background stuff to me. Like, "I'm gonna need wheels for those tires..."
Old 05-11-2006, 01:41 AM

allright, hate to play the dumb car enthuisiast guy, but I wanna make sure I got this down right, before I mess something up.

the car is a dd, so it seems a standalone is the way to go for me, I don't really want to put up with the sound of an in-line fuel pump on the street. what would I wire the fuel pump to? the window switch for the nitrous, a seperate window switch to kick on a few hundred rpms lower then when the nitrous kicks in, or the arming switch (or would that put too much pressure on the return line?)?

and who makes a standalone fuel system for an lt-1 camaro (namely a 97). I looked on Harris Speed Works and only saw a kit for ls-1's? Does it still fit an lt-1, can I make it fit with a little fabrication, or do you plan on making an lt-1 system in the near future (5 months)?

sorry for all the stupid inane questions, but I'm new to this standalone fuel system stuff.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:57 AM

Usually we suggest wiring the pump up to the arming toggle switch. Our cells have a return line on them so there is no problem with letting them run for a little while. Our LS1 kit could work on a LT1 with a little fabrication, the air intake track would be the deciding factor on how difficult it would be. We do have a LT1 system in the works though.

Matt

Originally Posted by danhr
allright, hate to play the dumb car enthuisiast guy, but I wanna make sure I got this down right, before I mess something up.

the car is a dd, so it seems a standalone is the way to go for me, I don't really want to put up with the sound of an in-line fuel pump on the street. what would I wire the fuel pump to? the window switch for the nitrous, a seperate window switch to kick on a few hundred rpms lower then when the nitrous kicks in, or the arming switch (or would that put too much pressure on the return line?)?

and who makes a standalone fuel system for an lt-1 camaro (namely a 97). I looked on Harris Speed Works and only saw a kit for ls-1's? Does it still fit an lt-1, can I make it fit with a little fabrication, or do you plan on making an lt-1 system in the near future (5 months)?

sorry for all the stupid inane questions, but I'm new to this standalone fuel system stuff.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 AM

allright then, i feel edumicated now. Looks like I'll try to wait for the lt-1 system to come out, since my engine won't even be done by aug-sept, hopefully the fuel system will be done by then.

aaaannndd since it was brought up, i might as well ask this instead of making a thread 2 months from now about it. any rules of thumb about what kind of race fuel to run when using a standalone?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:01 PM

Like Harris mentioned, I liked a standalone fuel system because it allowed me to run a 100 shot on a 12 second car with stock fuel lines/gas tank in my 3rdgen. I had a pump gas motor, so I could buy 1 gallon of 110, stick it in the fuel cell, drive around on cheap gas and spray with the good stuff .