N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

What to spray

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 PM

What to spray

Thinking about giving my sig car a small shot, but this is my first time to play with nitrous. Im only wanting 75-100 shot and i think im gonna go dry because its going to be a small shot and dry systems seem to be safer.

I know im probably going to need bigger injectors to compensate for the xtra fuel needed. I need to know what else as far as nitrous kit accesories (window switches, purge systems, ect) I might need. Also feel free to throw anything else in I might be leaving out. Help is Appreciated
Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Re: What to spray

I like mine good and wet, its a lot cheaper than new injectors.
fuel pressure safety switch needs to be on that list

what makes you think dry is safer? you are relying on the fuel injectors to supply the extra fuel. I just was not happy with mine dry
Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 AM

dry systems seem to be less likely to catch fire, sometimes wet kits puddle fuel then maybe a backfire through the tb and boom. But like I say i dont know much as far as nitrous goes, so im up for any suggestions, as far as the injectors im gonna have to go bigger soon anyway so its not a big deal to spend that money cause im going to sooner or later anyway.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 AM

looking for any suggestions guys
Old 12-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator

I ran the NOS 5176-EO dry kit for 5 years with no problems. It doesn't require larger injectors. It boosts the fuel pressure when you spray, to increase the flow through the injectors.

Currently running a more complete dry setup, to spray a 300-shot. But that's based on an aftermarket ECU that can switch between NA and N2O programs based on whether the nitrous system is armed. That way, no juggling the fuel pressure. Just the initial cost of the 78 #/HR injectors.

Surprisingly, I've had a manifold explosion with a dry system. One of the two nitrous solenoids was apparently leaking, I did a 5,000rpm burnout, and when I let off the throttle, she popped. Damage was limited to the throttle blades being bent at a right angle on the lower half. I suspect with a bit of fuel present from a wet system, I might have launched the manifold through the hood.

What I like about the dry system with the LT1 is the better nitrous distribution. But that is partly the result of putting the nitrous in front of the throttle body and giving it time to mix with the air. Not sure if you will see that same advantage with the NOS/Holley throttle body setup. I know the shop that did my setup, and specializes in large dry N2O systems did not want to use a plate system, because of proven problems with uneven nitrous distribution to the cylinders. I switched to a ram air hood with the WS6 style airbox, with a pair of NOS fan-jet nozzles in the outlet of the airbox. But... I run speed-density, so no MAF sensor in between the box and the TB. In any case, its a lot easier to get uniform distribution of gaseous phase nitrous/air mixture than it is to complicate things with air, nitrous and fuel mist. Gas molecules turn corners easier than fuel mist.

An additional advantage of the dry system is the fact that there is no fuel puddling on top of the intake valve, waiting for it to open. With a wet system, its just sitting there waiting, vaporizing from the heat, and flowing fuel vapor back into the plenum.

Running a small shot, all of this is not that critical.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03746a.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-10-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Is there any kit in particular that you would recommend?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Jlo

I think the one Injuneer said would be best..NOS 5176. I had this kit several years ago in my 95'Z28 ran a 12.2 with it on a stock motor. I'll probably buy this kit again since I've never had any problems with it and it came with everything needed, blow-down tube and other stuff, although this time I might try this kit on my NOS/Holley TB to see how it performs.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Jlo

although I don't know if the NOS 5176-EO dry kit is adjustable since mine only came with one jet don't remember the # of it but I guess it depends on the nitrous pressure to determine the amount of HP being injected...I think..
Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 AM

OK thanks guys, one question tho, can this system be jetted down to the75/100 ranges, or is it dependant on the bottle pressure?, and is this system pretty much plug and play or will I need to have the car tuned, or set up for it?

Last edited by GRIDERMAN87; 12-11-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 PM

no on the jet down
Old 12-11-2010, 08:59 PM

So there is no way to change the shot?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Administrator

At one point with the 5176 kit, NOS sold a "fuel jet" that went in the tee in the nitrous slip-stream pressure line to the fuel pressure regulator. It didn't actually flow fuel, it just varied the amount of pressure bled off from the nitrous slip-stream that increases the pressure setting on the fuel pressure regulator. You could reduce the shot by changing the fuel jet and the nitrous jet.

You always have to "tune" a nitrous system, by carefully reading all 8 plugs and insuring that you are not on the verge of detonation. The recommended jet sizes will get you in the ball park, but you need to fine tune it.

You also have to hold the bottle pressure constant. If the bottle pressure increases (car sitting in sun on a hot day), the nitrous flow increases and the system will lean out. If the bottle pressure drops (as it will during a run, as the nitrous auto-cools the contents of the bottle), the system will richen, which doesn't hurt anything but HP. You control bottle pressure (simple system) with a temperature regulated bottle heater. In a more precise system, you would use something like the NANO system, that hold the bottle pressure very accurately with nitrogen or dry air.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:27 AM

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...=18&section=49

works every time, small shots and bigger shots.

call these guys and they will talk to you about specifics

ps. they have the coolest shirts on the planet
Old 12-13-2010, 02:37 PM

do you think this system would do the trick, keep in mind im probably not going to spray anything over 125 if I even push it there im thinking 75 is gonna be enough for what im looking to get out of the car, so would this be basic enough for a novice to install/ use?

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...8&product=3477
Old 12-13-2010, 07:28 PM

better call them (866) 648-7637

Quick Reply: What to spray