N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Several Q's (what plugs, Window Switch, purge, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 09:26 AM

Several Q's (what plugs, Window Switch, purge, etc)

I looked through the 2 pages of threads (are there more than that that are hidden???) and didn't see any of these answered, so here goes.

I just ordered an NX kit, it'll be my first time running N20. I know the plugs need re-gapped, which means time for new plugs.

Any suggestions on which plugs to run w/ nitrous? Anything you all have used that works well, doesn't work well, etc? Right now and in the past I've just used the AC Delco replacments.

Secondly, I have an A4. I'm a little concerned about gear changes with the nitrous running. An RPM window switch would remove this concern, but my question is should I be worried at all in the first place? I have a stock rear-end (3.73 gear though) and street tires, so I won't be running the N20 until 2nd gear, meaning I only have to worry about the 2-3 shift. Is it worth it for me to spend 200 bucks on the window switch to avoid potential tranny problems, or am I worrying over nothing?

Finally, it's coming with a dual purge kit (bought it used). I like the idea of the purge kit, but I really don't want to advertise so much I have n20 as my car is pretty close to stock and even with the juice it's not going to be blazing fast (i'll be lucky to get high 12's with a 100 shot I figure). There was a thread about location of purge kits, but where have you all put yours? And if I want to have it semi-hidden (not blatanly obvious to the guy next to me), is there anyplace to do that?

As an added so you don't have to click the link below, the only mods to my car are:

Random-tech high flow cat, cat-back Hooker exhaust, Moroso CAI, B&M shift kit, 3.73 rear gear -- and it's a '95 A4. The N20 kit includes the kit, dual purge kit, bottle heater, and pressure gauge among a few other things.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2003, 04:38 PM

ok i'll try to answer all questions......

Plugs,NGK TR6,or Autolite 103/104's gapped about .035

Definately get a window switch,the stock trans doesnt like getting sprayed through the shifts.
You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get a Mallory ignition box with a built in switch.

As far as hiding the purge,you can always just keep it aimed under hood,but you wont know when the "air" has been cleared from the line if you can see it,and people will hear it no matter what.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to do the NGK plugs, and probably end up putting the purge in the same place everyone else does. You can purge the lines while moving, right?

Also, anybody know where to get a Mallory RPM window switch? I found one on ebay, but I can't seem to locate JUST the switch online at any of the usual sites (jegs, thunder, summit, tbyrne, etc). A link would be great. If I'm going with a window switch without ignition, mallory seems to be the easiest to use, MSD looks like a pain. But I may have to go MSD if I can't find the Mallory one....
Old 04-30-2003, 07:48 PM

I don't think mallory makes just a window switch. I bought the mallory 685 unit w/ built in switch, plus the normal goodies of a ignition box. Best bang for the buck on a box and window switch.