Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

I weighed the Stock Torque Arm and Spohn Torque Arm.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 12:17 AM

Post I weighed the Stock Torque Arm and Spohn Torque Arm.

I thought this info would be useful to somebody. I just weighed the Stock Torque Arm and Spohn Torque.

The stock one is alot heavier than it looked. We got the rearend out of the car today and I picked the stock one up and was shocked at how much it weighs. It's 14 pounds.

The Spohn Torque Arm for an LS1 Car that I got to clear a Mufflex Y Pipe weighs 16 pounds. The g load brace and driveshaft loop weigh another 10 pounds. The weight between the stock and Spohn are close but when you figure in the weight of the g load brace and driveshaft loop, it defitinly starts to add up. I havent weighed the stock g load brace that the Spohn G Load Brace replaces.

------------------
1980 Camaro Z28 Sikkens 3 Stage Blue and Purple

1994 Camaro Z28 Teal M6
Ported Heads, LT4 Hot Cam and Springs, 1.6 RR's, Mac Headers and Offroad Y Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, Resonators, Flowtech Cutout, NX 150 Horsepower Shot of Nitrous, NX Bottle Heater, NX Remote Bottle Opener, NOS Purge, KB DD SFCs, BMR STB, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, Redline Water Wetter and Synthetic Diff. Fluid, McLeod Dual Performance Clutch, K&N FIPK, LT4 KM, 1LE Bellow, Holley 58mm Throttle Body, TB Coolant Bypass, Metco Valve Cover Breather, LPW Rearend Support Cover, Strange 3.73s, Eaton Posi, TA Stud Kit, Lakewood LCAs and Adjustable Panhard Rod, LS1 Driveshaft, March Underdrive Pullies, MSD 6AL, MSD Window Switch, MSD Blaster Coil, NGK TR6's, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Intrax Lowering Springs, BFGoodRich Comp TAs 255/50/16, Nitto Drag Radials 245/50/16, AVS Blackouts on the back.

339 RWHP Corrected with two broke rings

465 RWHP Corrected on the nitrous with the clutch slipping bad and two broke rings

www.geocities.com/speeds8erm1
Old 07-28-2002, 06:18 PM

Well that is true that the G load brace and drive shaft loop weight 10lbs but one has to remember that your not just adding weight for no reason.

If you got a standard replacemnt torque arm it may weigh more because it's longer and has go allt he way to the tranny, and then you have the Torque Arm Braket that bolts to the tranny.

Also to the Sphon G load brace comes with the Driveshaft loop like you said, so anybody that would purchase a regular Torque Arm or kept their stock one would be adding about 7lbs. So all in all I'd say max the Sphon Set up adds 3-5 lbs.

Great info though!

Jason

------------------
Plates: "Stock 95"
1995 Firebird Formula
O'ring/4bolt 383, GTP Race Ported AFR 210s, Yank TH400, Yank 3800 Stall, Trans Break, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73s, and the usual stuff like Hooker Long Tubes, Holley 58mm TB, Sphon Torque Arm, etc....