N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

NX solenoid max flow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:12 PM

NX solenoid max flow?

I have a system that started life as an NX wet single nozzle system. The way I've set it up, I am using twin nozzles through the original fuel and nitrous solenoids. What is the max flow (or the orifice diameter) through the solenoids? What I am trying to figure out is what are the largest jets that I can use in the twin nozzles before the solenoid becomes a limitation.

Thanks.

Rich Krause
Old 10-09-2003, 11:07 PM

Which solenoids do you have? What size feed line do you have? If you have the Iceman solenoids you can easily go to a 250 shot which is pretty close to the limits of a 4an feed line. Thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by SpeedtechInc
Which solenoids do you have? What size feed line do you have? If you have the Iceman solenoids you can easily go to a 250 shot which is pretty close to the limits of a 4an feed line. Thanks
The line is a -4, but as far as the solenoids, I guess that's my question. They are what originally came with the kit (NX 20920).

Rich Krause
Old 10-10-2003, 05:37 AM

Speedtech is right, the stock solenoids should be good up to 250 per NX tech. I have the pro power solenoid on mine and it is good up to 400 hp (it has a P on the bottom of the solenoid). I have the S.H.O. kit and this kit is supposed to be good to 400 hp through a single fogger . Hey Speedtech...any comments on the S.H.O. kit? Not too many people are running the S.H.O. kit so I am a test mule I guess. I plan to run no more than 300 shot but NX claims 400 out of this kit and I have pestered them since I got the kit making sure nothing was misquoted with the kit. BTW, speedtech can you hit me up with a price for the blowoff fitting that goes into the bottle with the blowoff disc...also for the NX switch panel. Thanks

Matt

Last edited by Nostang 96z; 10-10-2003 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:19 AM

Thanks! I am going to try 250 (on top of 17psi of boost) on Sunday. There is all winter to rebuild!

Rich Krause
Old 10-10-2003, 08:47 AM

A 250 shot on top of 17psi of boost--that ought to be impressive!!

Nostang 96Z, My buddy has the SHO system on his Mustang but its never been above 200hp. I have complete faith that the system will go that high, but it takes a lot of fuel system to keep up with that! His Mustang was an 86 with a 120k mile short block, stock cam, mildy ported stock heads, ran a best of 13.60 on the motor and 11.49 on a 200 shot! We planned to keep jetting it up and try to break into the 10's but, his fuel system just couldn't handle it. I pm'ed you about the parts you needed.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the reply and info speedtech. I think I have the fuel system for the job though. I have a 1 gallon front mounted fuel cell with 8an feed to the pump, from the pump to the regulator and a 6 an from the regulator to the solenoid. From the solenoid I have a 4 an line going to the fogger. I have a holley regulator and I am running a product engineering 290gph pump. BTW I run 10 psi through the fogger and not the typical high psi. Your friend might want to look into a dedicated fuel system for his setup. I PM'd you again.

Matt
Old 10-10-2003, 11:38 AM

My fuel system is up for the job. I am using a -10 line from the tank to run twin Aeromotive A1000 pumps. The second pump is boost activated. It's probably overkill, but if anyone wants details, I will be glad to provide them. It would be easy to rig up the second pump to be activated by a WOT switch.

Rich Krause
Old 10-11-2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by rskrause
The line is a -4, but as far as the solenoids, I guess that's my question. They are what originally came with the kit (NX 20920).

Rich Krause
Hey Rick,

I used to run that NX garbadge for some time and the solenoid your referencing that came in that kit is the small orifice .063" solenoid and with a single nozzle system will be rated for 35-150hp MAX using the kits solenoid!

The SHO EFI race system 100-400hp single nozzle is a part number 20112. Just to make sure I wasn't wrong I checked with a buddy that is a NX dealer and in the NX catalog was where I found this info.

I would just hate to see you fuel wash your motor or something like that with a bad tuneup.

I'm not sure as to how you plan to plumb the nozzles either in the intake bellow or throttle body plate? But one setup that I seen make big power on the dyno and it was with very very little nitrous used like 25-50 shot. A nozzle was plumbed just before the inlet side of the turbo. One it cooled the turbo way down thus allowing the A/F mixture to be much cooler temp which obviously made more power because of this also helping to reduce detonation and would help with turbo lag.

I would assume it would work the same for blower but not sure.

Just be careful?
Old 10-11-2003, 06:25 PM

I asked this question a few months ago, and one NX dealer on here said that with an upgraded output nut (for a 6AN line I assume) the regular NX solenoid should be able to flow 300 HP. I think that was if you don't use a jet.

I may test that theory out someday when I want to force the rebuild.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by JSK333
I asked this question a few months ago, and one NX dealer on here said that with an upgraded output nut (for a 6AN line I assume) the regular NX solenoid should be able to flow 300 HP. I think that was if you don't use a jet.

I may test that theory out someday when I want to force the rebuild.
JSK,

NEVER EVER USE YOUR KIT WITHOUT A JET!!!!!!

Whom ever told you this is insane and should be horse whipped!That just goes to show NX will let anyone be a dealer for there nitrous kits.

The supply line has nothing to do with making huge power differences. The solenoid oriffice will only allow so much nitrous to flow in turn this will determine the flow rate that along with spec diam nitrous jets will give Horsepower levels for a kit. You need to flow a certain amount of fuel and nitrous to feed a motor to make power there are other factors that also come into play but for the most part the solenoid and jet really determines horsepower levels.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:23 PM

I didn't say that he said to not use a jet, but was using that as an example of what the solenoid itself would flow with no restrictions.

Also, I think his point with using the larger line was that the one that comes with the solenoid limits it a little bit. That the noid can support more but they package it with a 4AN since it's standard among the street nitrous kits.

Just passing along what one of their dealers said.

He runs the kit on his cars, one of which had a 300-shot, and was working great.

Solomon
Old 10-11-2003, 07:37 PM

NX uses the same solenoid on the both the Stage 1(35-150) and the EFI Race(100-250) so 250 is definatley not a problem. They also use the same solenoid on the Stage 6, and Stage 6 Gemini Twin and they do rate those systems for 300hp so that much flow thru the solenoid is possible also. Thanks
Old 10-11-2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by SpeedtechInc
NX uses the same solenoid on the both the Stage 1(35-150) and the EFI Race(100-250) so 250 is definatley not a problem. They also use the same solenoid on the Stage 6, and Stage 6 Gemini Twin and they do rate those systems for 300hp so that much flow thru the solenoid is possible also. Thanks
I've been running it so rich with nitrous (10.5:1 AF) that I am hardly going to step up the fuel jet size at all. I am aiming for 11.5 or a bit leaner with the jets I am going to be using (I dug up two pairs of 52/33 jets). So, at worst is will still be rich and not make any more hp, at best, I expect to see at least 200hp if the solenoid will flow that much.

If the weather holds, I'll be trying this tomorrow and will report back. Thanks for the help!

Rich Krause
Old 10-12-2003, 06:48 PM

Well, the nitrous solenoid appeared to flow well enough to feed two #52 jets. The car gained nearly 10mph and went 10.222 @ 140.4mph

Rich Krause

Quick Reply: NX solenoid max flow?