N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

not running right

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:46 PM

not running right

on the juice. on motor the car pulls fine. but the instant i go WOT with the N20 it sounds like a machine gun going off. i have 62/33 jets in. my car runs rich on motor, so in theory i believe it should be a lil on the rich side with the N20. i pulled 2 plugs and they were both light brown on one side of the plug.

anyway could my ignition not be up to par and not getting spark?
any insight on why my car runs good on motor but runs like crap on N20?

edit: had someone behind me last night and everytime it popped (machine gun sound) he said my car lit up underneath.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:51 AM

Re: not running right

how much of a shot are you running? what pressure and whats the timing?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:04 AM

that should be a 150 shot by NX site. 975/1050 psi, and pulling 5 degrees of timing on the mallory.
someone on another site said i might be pulling to much timing.
thanks gforce for replying
Old 08-12-2006, 10:21 AM

I wouldnt say that your pulling to much timing, im pulling 5 deg on a 125 shot. It sounds like your getting a nitrous backfire, is the nitrous on a window switch at all? You have the mallory so i say you are but, If not and your spraying to early (before 3000rpm) then it can cause this n2o backfire to happen.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:42 AM

you mioght try bumping up the timing to 6-7 degrees. i run 8 on a 150 shot and get the best times but thats on a motor built for nitrous. try checking your plugs directly after you make a run with the nitrous also you could try doing a smaller shot and see if you still get the same results. another thing have you checked the jets to make sure you have them on the right lines? i have a friend who hada similar problem and did that. also id try and check to see if all of your plugs are firing.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:37 PM

window switch is set at 3400/5600
ok i will try the 7 deg timing and see if it helps or makes worse. then go from there.
the only other jets i have are for an 80 shot and i will try that as well and see if the popping is still there, or less of it, etc.
and yes i have checked and the jets are in the correct lines. 62 N20 33 fuel
i am not sure if this is the correct way, probably isnt. but to check the plugs i have just been taking one out of each side to get an idea of whats going on. and they seem fine from what i have seen from others guys pictures
but sometime today i will get to running a smaller shot and messing with the timing.
thanks again guys.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:53 PM

ok my GF took my car yesterday and came back this morning. so didnt get around to to it till this afternoon.
i pulled the 62/35 jets out ( i had a 35 in not a 33 like i originally thought. i took the 33 out after this first pass, thinking i needed more fuel. to be safe.)
so i put 38/20 ( possibly a 60 shot) in and left the timing at 5. same thing popped alot. then i put the timing to stock and it felt a lil better, but still popped. tried one more time with same results then i did my best to stay outta the throttle and cruised home.
let the car sit ( is that ok for checking the plugs?) and about 4 hours later when the car cooled off i pulled 3 plugs and they were all colored. on the strap some of them had a greenish tint. but the porcelain was tan/brown for the most part. one of them only one side was colored and the other side was white.
then as i get to the rear on the driver side i notice that the plug wire felt loose around it. ( hmm might be a problem) then once i pulled it off i noticed that the plug was really loose. so i turned it a few times by hand and noticed something else. the strap was almost completely broke off.

does the above sound like a symptom of a miss at high rpm? or a machine gun sound with the N20?
here is a vid of my car with the nitrous on adn you can hear the problems that i am having.
http://www.mistercmk.com/camzaro28/G5.wmv
Old 08-14-2006, 08:29 AM

i would check to see if you have a sticky solenoid. Also make sure the bottle is flowing properly. remove it from the car and open it up a little. It sounds to me like the car is just dumping fuel.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:15 AM

how to test for stuck noid? i can go back out and test the noids to see if they click when i arm it with the bottle off.
also, when i open up the bottle the lines tense up and i can hear it ruch through. the bottle pressure usually jumps from 200-600 up to 1000 right as i open the bottle.
i put a new plug in just now, but my gf had to take the car again. when she gets back i am going to see if it feels any different on nitrous.
thanks for the reply panic
Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 AM

well took the car for a spin and it started breakin up on motor more then it ever has before. so i didnt attempt to give a try on nitrous.
starting to think my opti is going, or possibly coil.
it breaks up all through the rpms only at WOT
Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Yea, check the opti before you do any more messing with the nitrous. Check the waterpump, if you havent already, for any leaks that it may have that may have caused the opti to go bad.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 PM

You lost to a mustang, go bow your head in shame.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by TA-Body
You lost to a mustang, go bow your head in shame.
With the way the car sounded I think we can cut him a little slack..this time
Old 08-15-2006, 08:53 AM

there was 4 more vids along with that one. that is the only one that i lost. no big deal.
well now my car is breaking up like the vid on motor!!
think it is my opti?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:54 PM

Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it? Just a question.Costs little to nothing before you go buy an opti.

Quick Reply: not running right