N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous smart? Need a little insight.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:39 AM

Nitrous smart? Need a little insight.

I've had a couple Ls1's I've had nitrous on in the past and I went with a simple single nozzle dry kit running 100 shot. I've never sprayed an lt1 so I have a couple questions. I'm looking for a basic kit for now since I won't really spray too often.
My car is a bolt on/cammed 96 making 359whp and 348 wtq (dyno tuned). I have a walbro single in tank and 30lb injectors. I want to run a 125 shot but am unfamiliar with the fuel accommodations in an lt1.

I was looking at the dry kits and noticed they would usually come with some type of electronic controller to add more fuel. I never needed this running dry kits on my ls1's so I'm a bit uncertain what the purpose is. The lt1 dry nitrous kits are more money than the same kit for an ls1. I don't want to spend the extra for the dry kit if I can get a wet kit for a hundred less since I really don't have a preference from wet to dry. I've had both and they both worked great.

So, two questions.
1. Does my car require the device that adds more fuel for dry kits or can I run a ls1 dry kit (125 shot)?

2. Will I be ok running a 125 shot wet kit with my fuel set up?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 AM

A wet shot is easier to run on the LT1 than a dry shot. Contrary to the LS1 cars where you can spray through the maf and the computer will compensate for the denser/more air and adjust the fuel accordingly. The Dry shot on the LT1 boosts the fuel pressure at the point that you activate the kit. This is why I feel a wet shot is safer then dry because you have a shot of nitrous and fuel at the same time. if you go with a dry shot and keep the stock injectors you will be running lean because the stock injectors are small. if you go after market injectors you have to get a tune so that the computer makes proper calculations.

Personally, I feel a little better tapping off the fuel rail and allowing the fuel to mix with the nitrous as it sprays into the intake. Either can be run safely, but the wet kit gives a little more peace of mind.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 AM

wet kits for LT1's. Dry for LS.

If you search you will find endless threads about wet vs. dry setups.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:10 PM

Dvs8Ing - PM me. Want to know what kind of cam your running as well if your using an electric water pump or not.

To answer your questions - your fuel system is MORE than adequate for a 150 shot from a wet kit. Wet is the way to fly with an LT1 for the above stated reasons. A dry kit can work well too dont get me wrong - its just wet is more fail-safe on a LT1.

If you have the Racetronix Walbro 255 kit with the hotwire set up - they seem to hold til the 600 horsepower point or so. Actually, if you want to see how far you can stretch a lightly modified fuel system, look at RSKrause's car. I believe he is upwards of 600 possibly 700 RWHP on a in-tank single Walbro and a KB Boost A Pump.