N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous Feed Line Size to HorsePower Rating

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:33 AM

Nitrous Feed Line Size to HorsePower Rating

I'm setting the car up to run a 300 hp shot of nitrous. I doubt I will use it much, but I will know that much is there.

The entire fuel system is done, the solonoids are in, wired and plumbed.

However the first time I cracked the bottle open it is leaking at the solonoid end of the -6an line.

I checked the threads, they are fine. I checked the flare inside and it looked fine, but it is coming out the back of the fitting.

Brand new hose, from NOS/Summit turns out to be bad.

Well I've got a dyno appointment Sat morning (today is Fri night) and I didn't want to hold back on the dyno.

THE ACTUAL QUESTION (after all that crap):

What HP rating will a -4an line feed?

At what point do you NEED a -6an line?

And just for fun...

Does anyone know how many lbs or .10ths of a lb you loose from one full -4an or -6an line? Lets say 20 foot long.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:02 AM

-4 will go 280, -6 continues upward
DO not over tighten the lines or the taper will crack.

Does anyone know how many lbs or .10ths of a lb you loose from one full -4an or -6an line? Lets say 20 foot long.
END QUOTE

Sorry for my ignorance but where are you going with this question?

....You could find out by caping off one end using a cap on one side of a union to union fitting with the other end on the line. The other end will need a NOS in line valve with the fittings for your line size then use a "an to an" coupler to conect to a bottle. open in-line valve, open bottle valve, close in-line valve [line full now], close bottle valve, remove coupler from ball valve, weight line while full, open ball valve [empty line], weigh and subtract empty from full for line volume for gas weight.

Post what u find out

Last edited by Hot Rod Hawk; 02-29-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Hot Rod Hawk
You could find out by caping off one end and installing a NOS inline ball valve installed on the line with using a an to an coupler to conect to a bottle. open ball valve, open bottle valve, close ball valve [line full now], close bottle valve, remove coupler from ball valve, weight line while full, open ball valve [empty line], weigh and subtract empty from full for line volume for gas weight.
I don't know where he's going either, but it would be a lot easier to just weigh the bottle full, open the valve to let the line fill, close the valve, then re-weigh the bottle...

As a swag, I'll assume a 4AN line is 1/4" ID, a 6AN line is 3/8" ID. That would make the 4AN, 20' long, hold 11.78 cubic inches of liquid nitrous, the 6AN line hold 26.5 inches. More than twice. I don't know what nitrous weighs, but let's say 6lbs/gallon. That would make the 4AN line weigh 0.31lbs, the 6AN line 0.69lbs.

There are a few assumptions in there that may be wrong...

Dave
Old 02-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Administrator

I ***think*** he is asking how much pressure loss do you see from the nitrous flowing through a -6AN line vs. a -4AN line. Not how much physical mass of N2O is somehow lost from the line or contained in the line. But I agree, the question is confusing.

In other words, if you have 900psi in the bottle, and you are trying to spray 300HP though a -4AN line, how much pressure will you lose in the -4AN due to friction, compared to the loss through a -6AN at the same flow. What will the pressure be at the solenoid with the two different line sizes?

The best way to determine this would be to simultaneously measure the pressure in the bottle and at the main nitrous solenoid while the system is working. The easiest way to solve the problem without getting all scientific and theoretical about it is to replace the -6AN line.