N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

need help want nitrous on my 383

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 AM

need help want nitrous on my 383

Well I have the 383 with speed pro pistons, scat crank and rods, 11.5:1, ported heads, 847 cam, all supporting mods. car ran 12.30 so far but I'm changing some things so it should hit 11's this year. the thing is is theres a couple mustang guys around here that have ran into some money and built 347's with 9lbs boost I'm hearing high horsepower #'s they could be lying but maybe you guys know something about how they would run.

I would like to be sure I'm going to beat them and run about 150 shot of nitrous.

I need all the information you can give me on what kind of kit is best and safest, what all accessories I really need to make it work, along with what needs to be done as far as tuning Does it have to be tuned for the nitrous to where it wont run as good n/a as it does now or will my tuning be ok?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks,
Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 AM
CDE

My best advice would be to give Nitro Dave a call. He really knows his stuff and is a very helpful in setting up a custom kit if need be. He will be able to answer all of your questions in one phone call.

Good luck beating those mustang guys!!

PS hide the setup so you can lie about it.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by CDE
My best advice would be to give Nitro Dave a call. He really knows his stuff and is a very helpful in setting up a custom kit if need be. He will be able to answer all of your questions in one phone call.
Thanks for the kind words

Originally Posted by CDE
PS hide the setup so you can lie about it.
Easier than you think.....this kit can be setup on the LT1 intake also.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/installs/install.asp?id=9

The "Money Maker" is $850 and is a totally hidden direct port style that can deliver up to 300hp

Originally Posted by bowtieman_racin
I need all the information you can give me on what kind of kit is best and safest, what all accessories I really need to make it work, along with what needs to be done as far as tuning Does it have to be tuned for the nitrous to where it wont run as good n/a as it does now or will my tuning be ok?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks,
There is alot of options on setting up a nitrous kit for your vehicle....give me a call, so we can go over your needs/wants.....that way we can Taylor the kit to fit your goals and budget....

As far as tuning....you will still be able to have an aggressive tune for NA.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
CDE

QUOTE=Ray@NitroDaves;4366568]Thanks for the kind words

Easier than you think.....this kit can be setup on the LT1 intake also.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/installs/install.asp?id=9

The "Money Maker" is $850 and is a totally hidden direct port style that can deliver up to 300hp

There is alot of options on setting up a nitrous kit for your vehicle....give me a call, so we can go over your needs/wants.....that way we can Taylor the kit to fit your goals and budget....

As far as tuning....you will still be able to have an aggressive tune for NA.[/QUOTE]

Heres a DP kit they helped me out on
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic?id...5Fd3Ig=&size=l
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Read the sticky above that was posted by Ray at Nitro Daves. It will tell you everything you will need to safely spray. I would say a Mallory 685 box and a fuel pressure safety switch are a must. If I could do it over again I would probably go with Zex b/c of the simplicity of the install though.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:30 PM

nitrous

so my computer will have to be tuned for the nitrous right? What all does the $850 kit include for my lt1 car. I think the most power I want to shoot is 150 due to my pistons not being forged, do you think that will be safe?
I'm really worried about the tuning cause so far I cant find any good tuners around and I dont know any especially for nitrous tunes. Thanks,
Old 01-26-2007, 12:01 AM

you will not need a specific nitrous tune, if you have the ability to retard timing...your sig shows you are currently running a MSD 6AL....all you have to do is add the MSD boost timing retard module. That way you can retard the timing only when you are spraying

The money maker is just the nitrous kit, any accessories would need to be purchased seperately.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:17 AM

no heat

how much would I have to retard the timing for 150 shot? Do you think the direct port would be the way to go since I'm only running 150, or would a normal style kit be good enough? what other accessories are truly necessary to go with the nitrous kit. I'm mostly looking for safety cause I cant afford to build the motor again if the nitrous tears it up.
A purge would probably be a necessity, how about a bottle heater, gauge, or other things?
Sorry for all the questions just doing my homework, I dont want to use the stuff until I know what I am doing. I could just listen to every body, hook it up and push a button but I want to understand it too. thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 09:08 AM

a single nozzle kit will be fine for a 150 shot....the money maker is for the customer that wants a totally hidden high horsepower capable kit.

The amount of timing you will need to pull will be dependant on where you have your base timing at. For a 1-150 shot on stock timing you normally do not need to pull any timing. But with a custom tune it will depend on how far they have advanced the timing. It will typically be in the 3-5* range.

Our group 1 special this month would be perfect for you to start with.
Group 1
GM single nozzle Wet system
Fuel pressure safety switch
Nitrous pressure gauge
NHRA filtting
Blow down tube
860 Heated bottle bracket
Nitrous Outlet purge kit
Digital dual window switch (Has built in TPS and any gear lock out feature)
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs

COST-875.00

this is the MSD timing retard to add to your existing 6AL
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't have it in stock but will match Summit's price.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Question Timing Controls

Ray/ Nitro Dave

Will be getting one of your kits shortly and have a timing
control question.
Am running the MSD6T box which is the track version of
the MSD6A. Contacted MSD as to thier timing controls
for my setup and was told (not) to get the **** controled
adj timing control but get the one that takes the modules.

Is this because it can be advanced also or for safety reasons if not paying attention to the dial settings
Would rather have the in car **** setup you recommended.
Does this setup have click stops or is it just a smooth type
potentiometer dial.

Just Curious

Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaykar
Ray/ Nitro Dave

Will be getting one of your kits shortly and have a timing
control question.
Am running the MSD6T box which is the track version of
the MSD6A. Contacted MSD as to thier timing controls
for my setup and was told (not) to get the **** controled
adj timing control but get the one that takes the modules.

Is this because it can be advanced also or for safety reasons if not paying attention to the dial settings
Would rather have the in car **** setup you recommended.
Does this setup have click stops or is it just a smooth type
potentiometer dial.

Just Curious

Thanks
The turn **** does not have click stops. It has a smooth turn. I ran the **** set up in my car with the 6al for a while with no problems. Do you have the part number they suggested?
Dave
Old 01-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Timing Controls

There were three all depending on features.

PN 8975
PN 8982
PN 8970
All priced higher than the adjustable

Thanks

Last edited by jaykar; 01-26-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 PM

nitrous

Well I guess I'll have to figure out what my timing is set at I have no Idea. I got a laptop and tunercats now so I'm going to try to get familiar with it. Then I'll be able to do what ever I need when I install the nitrous. That kit sounds like a great deal you're talking about. The heated bottle bracket is that all you need for a heater, I'd never heard of it? I'm getting ready to tear into my motor a little bit first, I'm going to try to degree my cam in while the motor is in the car Hope I can do it. After I get it done I gotta do my buddy's car. gonna change plugs n wires, put in my new torque converter and whatever problems I run into all the way. So I'll be getting ahold of you as soon as I get this part of the project going good. Thanks for all the information.