N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Mounting Nitrous Jet on LT1 Dry Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:37 AM

Mounting Nitrous Jet on LT1 Dry Kit

I notice the LS-1 Dry kit mounts before the MAF sensor but the LT-1 kit mounts after the MAF. Would it be ok to mount the LT1 nozzle in front of the MAF? I have an aluminum intake elbow and don't really want to drill into that plus it has the devider in it and not sure it'll go in it without having to hack up the devider. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Are you talking about an NOS 5176 dry kit? If so, it adds the extra fuel by raising the fuel pressure, using the pressure signal from the blue pressure regulator to the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. If you already have that part of the kit installed, you can't spray before the MAF sensor... it would load up with fuel. The LS1 kit does not alter the fuel pressure to add the extra fuel, it uses the MAF measuring the nitrous+air flow to add the right amount of fuel.

In general, the LT1 dry kits are not set up to spray thru the MAF sensor, because alledgedly the PCM is not as fast a processor as the LS1. But there are people here who have done it... you might want to try and find out what their experience is.

In any case, if you've installed the kit correctly, you can't spray before the MAF without deleting the fuel pressure connections. And then it would be sort of "hit or miss" on whether the MAF would respond to the nitrous flow and cause the PCM to add enough fuel.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:57 PM

Yeah it's the NOS 5176 kit. I've got it installed properly as far as the fuel stuff and I had the Nitrous nozzle in the rubber elbow but I now have the aluminum Vortech elbow since I put my CSI water pump on it. I was just trying to avoid mounting it in the aluminum elbow since it has a devider that runs all the way through it. If I install it where the IAT sensor goes then it'll only spray in the one blade of the throttle body. I wonder if that would have any kind of ill affect on operation If it sprayed in the right side blade would it disperse evenly enough into the intake or would it lean the righ side out? By the way the car is a 94 Z

Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Two possibilities:

1. Machine the dividing wall out of the elbow - I've seen it done.

2. Use two fan jet nozzles, one on each side of the baffle. You would need to change to jets that flow 1/2 of what the single jet would flow.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:05 AM

I have my NX nozzle in the IAT sensor location.

Scanning during spraying shows the O2 sensor values to be very close to each other (just like NA), indicating that it distributes just fine.

The mist produced is so fine that it's going to be sucked in by each cylinder like normal air. Doesn't matter where it starts, if it's ahead of the TB, IMHO.