N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Leaving the bottle open

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 06:20 PM

Post Leaving the bottle open

My remote bottle opener is not working. So i wanted to know when I am out for the night crusing the streets can I open my bottle manually and leave it open for the night (say 2-3hrs) for those just in case encounters. Will the nitrous leak?
Old 07-12-2002, 06:34 PM

I promise to be nicer in the future.....

[This message has been edited by KTamez (edited July 13, 2002).]
Old 07-12-2002, 09:47 PM

Man I like to hear everybodys input. The more replys you get the better because I believe you learn a little from everybody's replies may that be wrong or right input. Thats what this board is setup for. So brother feel free to spread some of your knowledge.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:32 PM

Hey n20transam, you obviously have no respect for the peps on this board. I can tell you right now after a few of your other posts that ya got a little attitude going on. Guess what happens to people with an attitude; no more answers for you. But, let me guess, you dont need anybodys opions. Fred does know his $hit about pretty much everything. If he doesnt know the answer he will tell ya, 9 times out of 10 he does. This is one of THE MOST popular camaro boards on the internet. If you want to stay a part of it you need to show some respect for the senior members. I can tell you I would be nowhere as far as modding my ride without the replies from Fred, shoebox, jordan m. etc. and I never doubt there answers. Check out some of the older members websites, they know their $hit dude. Not trying to **** you off but your a newbie and you need to show some respect.
Oh yea, I see ya got a pretty long sig. there. My car runs 7.6-7-5's around 90-92 mph in the 1/8 and I would love to put you on the trailer one night, I'm guessing you got maybe alittle more power than me but I bet I can out drive your green a$$ in a heartbeat!!
If ya think your replies dont matter, quit replying I'm sure you wont hurt nobodys feelings
LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit: What about some actual times slips there bud, anyone can say low this and low that, blah blah blah
------------------
96Z M6, 12 bolt Moser(3.73),NX wet kit(all the goodies),MSD 6AL,tayor spiro-pro,NGK tr-6,Star stage 2 kevlar,pcmforless programing, SLP CAI,!maf,LT4 NM,Flowmaster,Hurst roll control,BFG DR's,Pro 5.0,BMR DS loop...
13.52-103.8 mph
60ft. 1.99
no n2o times yet

[This message has been edited by kirschman (edited July 12, 2002).]
Old 07-12-2002, 11:26 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by n2oTransAmLT1:
I would give you my opinion, but its never good enough for this board. It will just get You will have to wait until "Injuneer 94FormM6" answers your question, cause he is the only person people listen too on this board. He is the LT 1 wizard. Oops, almost forgot, he is also a chemistry and physics wizard.

</font>

This is a classic

Old 07-13-2002, 04:21 AM

Angry

I hope this is the last time....

------------------
Kurtis Tamez
LT4-396.com
97 Z28 LT4-396
94 Firehawk LT1-396

Team NW F-Body
Old 07-13-2002, 04:26 AM

Smile

On the topic......

Its really a crap shoot. I wouldn't recommend it, but lord knows I've left my bottle open for 2-3 hours at a time. Problem being the High pressure of the Nitrous sits directly on the Solenoid, and can cause prematre failure, NOT a good thing!

Its really up to you and the risks you're willing to take. If you can't remotely afford a "catastrophe" then I'd leave the valve closed till ya need it

------------------
Kurtis Tamez
LT4-396.com
97 Z28 LT4-396
94 Firehawk LT1-396

Team NW F-Body
Old 07-13-2002, 08:05 AM

What is wrong with your opener. Is it one of the NX versions. I had the same problem. I had to take it apart and tighten up the clutch. I wouldn't leave the bottle open more than the couple of hour you are cruisin. Unless you are sure you have zero leaks. you will loose nitrous. I have sealed my fittings several different times and still have a very slow leak to find. I know this because after I close the line I can come back hours later and the line preasure has gone down. you can find leaks by spraying soapy water on you fittings if it bubbles you got a leak. Some leaks are so small you can't hear them.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:42 PM

IMHO....2 or 3 hours shouldnt be a problem .

------------------
Greg
95 Z28 conv M6
Georgia F-Body Association

Stage 1 heads, 1.6rr, Meziere WP
lt4 hot cam,lt4 timing chain kit,52mm TB,
Hooker Headers, Pro 5 shifter,3.73s,
NX 150 progressive,
Self-tuned via Tunercat
Old 07-13-2002, 01:52 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kirschman:
Hey n20transam, you obviously have no respect for the peps on this board. I can tell you right now after a few of your other posts that ya got a little attitude going on. Guess what happens to people with an attitude; no more answers for you. But, let me guess, you dont need anybodys opions. Fred does know his $hit about pretty much everything. If he doesnt know the answer he will tell ya, 9 times out of 10 he does. This is one of THE MOST popular camaro boards on the internet. If you want to stay a part of it you need to show some respect for the senior members. I can tell you I would be nowhere as far as modding my ride without the replies from Fred, shoebox, jordan m. etc. and I never doubt there answers. Check out some of the older members websites, they know their $hit dude. Not trying to **** you off but your a newbie and you need to show some respect.
Oh yea, I see ya got a pretty long sig. there. My car runs 7.6-7-5's around 90-92 mph in the 1/8 and I would love to put you on the trailer one night, I'm guessing you got maybe alittle more power than me but I bet I can out drive your green a$$ in a heartbeat!!
If ya think your replies dont matter, quit replying I'm sure you wont hurt nobodys feelings
LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit: What about some actual times slips there bud, anyone can say low this and low that, blah blah blah
</font>

Man, I dont need timeslips to prove anything. The nearest dragstrip is almost 2hrs away. My car only has 24,000 miles therefore I do no drive it a lot. It is in mint condition. I only drive it on nice days, weekends etc. I have 1 other cars and a truck for ****ty weather. FWIW..Everyone where Im from is kind of rich most people have cars waaayyy better than LT1s. My buddie Craig has a 2001 385hp ZO6, I can beat him EVERY time by 4 carlengths on the 75shot! These races all took place from a stop and went a full 1/4 mile. Many people have been there to seen it happen. Dont anyone call BS unless theryre prepared to come see for themselves. Im am going to make a webpage over the next couple days and post it for you guys to see.

As for timeslips again, Anybody can just make up some number and mph and say thats their et. Then let you guys sit here all day and calculate it to see what the deal is. I dont want to do that cause I dont know what it offically runs. All I know is if I can beat a 12.8 sec car by 4 carlenghts each time with only a 75 shot, then I must be about a 12.4-.12.5. Add the other 50 for the 125 shot Im runnning now and assuming I can get traction low 12's are easily possible.

------------------
`96 TransAm: RamAir w/ K&N filter, 125hp Zex dry kit, 3.73 gears, McLeod StreetTwin clutch, Borla cat-back, 1le alum. driveshaft, B&M shifter, Walbro in-line fuel booster pump, Granatelli MAF, 52mm TB w/Airfoil and coolent bypass, LT4 KM + programmed computer, Accel 8.8 race wires, Zex Hyperformance plugs, MSD Univ. Adj. timing, Window switch, Sport-comp Nitrous, Boost, Fuel pressure gauges in center 3 vents and Air/Fuel gauge on A-pillar pod, Mobil 1 only, !CAGS, Yokohama tires, tinted windows.

Low 13's on motor.
Low 12's on bottle.
"Lots of throttle and a backup bottle"
Old 07-13-2002, 01:57 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KTamez:
I hope this is the last time....

</font>
Gotta love this board!!!

------------------
`96 TransAm: RamAir w/ K&N filter, 125hp Zex dry kit, 3.73 gears, McLeod StreetTwin clutch, Borla cat-back, 1le alum. driveshaft, B&M shifter, Walbro in-line fuel booster pump, Granatelli MAF, 52mm TB w/Airfoil and coolent bypass, LT4 KM + programmed computer, Accel 8.8 race wires, Zex Hyperformance plugs, MSD Univ. Adj. timing, Window switch, Sport-comp Nitrous, Boost, Fuel pressure gauges in center 3 vents and Air/Fuel gauge on A-pillar pod, Mobil 1 only, !CAGS, Yokohama tires, tinted windows.

Low 13's on motor.
Low 12's on bottle.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:53 PM

ROKN, the nitrous will only leak if there's a leak in your fittings. If the whole system is nice and tight, you'll be fine for hours on end, but if there's a loose fitting or something, you could lose a whole bottle in an hour. If you have a pressure gauge on the bottle, you could try it out and watch the pressure over time, to see if there's a slow leak.

I wouldn't leave it open *all* the time, because it's supposed to be bad for your solenoid to have 1000psi of pressure on it, but a couple hours - no biggie (IMO).

Dave

------------------
1997 LPE 383/n2o Camaro Z28 Convertible
12.39@112.2, 1.76 60' (na) 11.27@124.6, 1.76 60' (n2o)
LT1 Diagnostics, New to Nitrous? Northern California Racing Club
Old 07-13-2002, 03:36 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All I know is if I can beat a 12.8 sec car by 4 carlenghts each time with only a 75 shot, then I must be about a 12.4-.12.5.</font>
Gee, why didn't I think of this!! I don't need to go to the track since I can estimate my slips...........

Hey ROKNLT1,

Let me tell you a little story. I was running a Mustang on the highway, and after we shut down my N2O WAS STILL FLOWING!! Lucky for me, I have the NOS bottle opener which quickly shut the bottle and saved me an embarassing engine meltdown. I took the solenoid apart and a little tiny piece of O-ring rubber was stuck there.

Easy enough to fix, but imagine running the whole bottle out without extra fuel.

------------------
SSMOKEM

1995 Impala SS "Cherry Bomb"
Best ETs: faster than my '65 pickup
Mods: 93% stock

My Super Impala SS Website
Old 07-14-2002, 11:47 AM

thanks for all the replies guys. bt96ss Yeah I have the nxversion opener but it does not tighten the bottle closed enough. I never even knew there is a clutch you can adjust on it. I will have to take a good look at it. Also when you are getting your bottle refilled do you have trouble putting the opener back on to the bottle after being taken off? I have such a hard time to slip it back on again.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:43 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ROKNLT1:
thanks for all the replies guys. bt96ss Yeah I have the nxversion opener but it does not tighten the bottle closed enough. I never even knew there is a clutch you can adjust on it. I will have to take a good look at it. Also when you are getting your bottle refilled do you have trouble putting the opener back on to the bottle after being taken off? I have such a hard time to slip it back on again. </font>
I didnt know about the little clutch either, until now. Also, you said you have a had time putting the remote opener back on the bottle. I had the same problem(i have zex, looks the same a NX) and it ended up being that the ring the fit around the bottle to attach the opener too, was cut wrong. Anyhow to make a long story short. Look at the ring the the opener is supposed to fit around, take it apart(take rubber gumband thing off) and put the two halfs of the ring side by side. Is one of the ring halfs longer or not the same lenght as the other half. If so, that is your problem. Take the piece that is longer, and cut/file it to be equal to the other half. Your opener will fit perfectly around the ring then. At least, that was what my problem was. Good luck

------------------

Low 13's on motor.
Low 12's on bottle.

Quick Reply: Leaving the bottle open