N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

info on a Zex Nitrous kit on a stock LT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 AM

info on a Zex Nitrous kit on a stock LT1

I am planning to install the Zex Nitrous kit on a stock LT1.
Any suggestion or feedback?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 AM

Re: info on a Zex Nitrous kit on a stock LT1

keep the shot small, wouldn't hurt to install some safety pieces like a fuel pressure switch

start saving for a rebuild
Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 AM
01Z

If you buy the wet kit (82026) then you might want to think about adding a high volume fuel pump. I went the direction of their in-line fuel booster pump. It was a difficult thing for me to find a place to mount the nitrous management unit so I fashioned a sheet metal bracket and attached it to the fender well. It took me way longer than the advertised 2 hours to install.

You will probably want a pressure gauge for the bottle but if you are going to take the car to the track then you will want to install the optional blowdown fitting to the tank BEFORE you have it filled. I need to use up my tank before I can install mine. If you are going to put the tank anywhere other than the hatch area (spare tire delete) then the 16' hose is going to be too long. You can coil the extra length but it creates a warming area that needs to be purged on serious runs. I bought a 12' line replacement. As I type, there are so many other things I could suggest that the message will go too long.

I have the Zex wet kit on my 95 and can show you the pictures of it in progress if you are interested in that.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Thumbs up Re: info on a Zex Nitrous kit on a stock LT1

Here's pics of my install. Best bang for the $. I have the dry kit # 80218 and am running a 100 shot right now on my basically stock (bolt-ons) LT1. No problem so far. It is important that you install the supplied in-line electric fuel pump.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM

I would pick up some extra pieces to make your sytem more safe and reliable. A fuel pressure safety switch, window switch, bottle heater, purge valve, and colder, non-platinum spark plugs are all good things to have. Are you running a wet or dry kit? If you are doing a wet kit, an upgraded fuel pump such as the one made by Racetronix is a good idea.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by 01Z
If you buy the wet kit (82026) then you might want to think about adding a high volume fuel pump. I went the direction of their in-line fuel booster pump. It was a difficult thing for me to find a place to mount the nitrous management unit so I fashioned a sheet metal bracket and attached it to the fender well. It took me way longer than the advertised 2 hours to install.

You will probably want a pressure gauge for the bottle but if you are going to take the car to the track then you will want to install the optional blowdown fitting to the tank BEFORE you have it filled. I need to use up my tank before I can install mine. If you are going to put the tank anywhere other than the hatch area (spare tire delete) then the 16' hose is going to be too long. You can coil the extra length but it creates a warming area that needs to be purged on serious runs. I bought a 12' line replacement. As I type, there are so many other things I could suggest that the message will go too long.

I have the Zex wet kit on my 95 and can show you the pictures of it in progress if you are interested in that.
Thanks for the info, Can you show me the installation pictures.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:02 AM

Thanks...
Old 09-23-2006, 10:00 AM
01Z

Originally Posted by floraelianor
Thanks for the info, Can you show me the installation pictures.
You will want to wade down to message #12 in this thread but the pictures for the most part seem to be there:
http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68558

I have made many changes since this thread like adding a fuel distribution block out of the NMU and a purge kit behind as well as adding several switches and lights to my switch panel but I think it might give you some ideas for your own installation. Good luck with it and if you have any questions contact me and I will try to help. It was a very fun project.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:48 PM

Thanks very much for all the info. Based on your experience, I will go with the wet (82026) kit. After I read the thread, things about nitrous are making sense, now I feel that I am more confortable with the decision.

Thanks,