N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Ignition upgrade a necessity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 12:09 AM

Exclamation Ignition upgrade a necessity?

Here's the deal: just bought an NX kit with the GenXII upgrade and it's going on the '95 in the sig. The car just turned 103,000 miles and as far as I know the ignition system as well as the fuel pump have never been replaced. Will I be safe to run a 150 shot on the car the way it is, or should I definately invest in a better ignition system and fuel pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance!

Joe.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:57 AM

Wink

I'd say if you are wanting to use that much juice you should upgrade the fuel pump and the ignition. The ignition so you can pull a little timing, and the fuel pump so you don't run out of fuel pressure.

95 Z basics,4:10's Nx kit
Old 09-17-2002, 12:36 PM

Be a hero and get colder plugs and a new ignition! The newer ignition with greater spark will make sure you are completely igniting everything there is to burn! Don't want your n20 to puddle! Yikes!

KASR
Old 09-17-2002, 12:46 PM

Any reccomendations on the best unit? Does summit carry any worthy ignitions, or one that will suit my needs? I plan on using Autolite plugs, should I go with 103's or 104's (those are the ones everyone else seems to be using), which one is colder or will suit my set-up better? Thanks again.

Joe.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:52 PM

I got the MSD 6A - install was a breeze once I got the GM Harness (not to be confused with the unviersal harness - that one doesn't work too well!!)

Other good ones is the Crane Fireball! I heard good things about that.

I got the MSD 6A from jegs for like $150 -easy as hell to install.

KASR
Old 09-17-2002, 02:37 PM

What benefits do you have with a MSD 6 towards the standard ignition? I´m no good with that part.

Like for me, I use the standard ECM in my -88 GTA and a reprogrammed prom with standard settings (I only got a Superchip Stage1 when I bought the car), but was thinking about the MSD (or similar).
Old 09-17-2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by KASR_Z28
I got the MSD 6A - install was a breeze once I got the GM Harness (not to be confused with the unviersal harness - that one doesn't work too well!!)

KASR

How much did the GM harness cost you and do you remember the part #? I want to do this right the first time, hopefully I'll have good luck with the spray and wont have to worry about something going terribly wrong.

Since the GenXII upgrade has the fuel pressure safety switch would I need to get a bigger fuel pump? Could I hold off until next spring beings I'm only planning on using the juice at the track? Thanx again!

Joe.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:34 PM

There´s no need to change the fuel-pump, I´m using the stock and also the FPSW. I also installed an Autometer fuel pressure guage, so that I can check the FP so that it whon´t drop.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:35 AM
red

Originally posted by justahoe
I'd say if you are wanting to use that much juice you should upgrade the fuel pump and the ignition. The ignition so you can pull a little timing, and the fuel pump so you don't run out of fuel pressure.

95 Z basics,4:10's Nx kit
Just to eliminate confusion. N2O will not puddle. Unless under pressure N2O is in a gas state. Any unburned fuel and N2O can end up in the exhaust and create a wickid back fire. Very impressive as you are going down the track
Old 09-18-2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by crazyjoe
How much did the GM harness cost you and do you remember the part #? I want to do this right the first time, hopefully I'll have good luck with the spray and wont have to worry about something going terribly wrong.

Since the GenXII upgrade has the fuel pressure safety switch would I need to get a bigger fuel pump? Could I hold off until next spring beings I'm only planning on using the juice at the track? Thanx again!

Joe.
The MSD 6 to GM Dual Conn. wiring harness is part number: 8876 - I think it was like $40 bucks on jegs...

The universal part number: 8873 <--- WRONG ONE. Do not get that one.

I'm still using stock fuel pump, no issues YET.

KASR
Old 09-18-2002, 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the info guys!!

Joe.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:41 PM

Cool Ignition

Me, myself and I would just add a hotter coil at the start. I've used MSD boxes before and found my MSD coil, on its own, does just fine. You can always add the box later if you feel you need it.

Aftermarket coils run under $50.00.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:46 PM

hey joe I thought you was only wanting to run a 100 shot I would go atleast 1 heat range colder on plugs maybe 2 for a 150 shot any of you guys run the digital 6 box with the 2 step and timing retard??
Old 09-22-2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by funina91ss
hey joe I thought you was only wanting to run a 100 shot I would go atleast 1 heat range colder on plugs maybe 2 for a 150 shot any of you guys run the digital 6 box with the 2 step and timing retard??

Sean,

I'm still debating on whether or not to push 150, I figure that I had better start out with the 100 shot and work from there.

Just to let you guys know, I went ahead and purchased a new ignition just to be on the safe side. I went with the MSD 6AL for the safety of the rev limiter, we'll see how it does. Which Autolite plug is colder, the 103 or 104???? I think that I'll use the colder of the two for when I get brave enough to run the 150 shot. Thanks again, fellas! Later.

Joe.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:52 PM

103 is colder.
Keep a close eye on your fuel pressure. I found a 150 shot to be too much for my stock pump.

Quick Reply: Ignition upgrade a necessity?