N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

How do You Know When the Bottle is Empty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:49 PM

Re: How do You Know When the Bottle is Empty?

Wow, I didn't realize that N2O gets used that quickly. Is there any place that sells bigger bottles? I live 2 hours one way from the nearest place that can refill bottles so I'd like to make it last awhile and I'd rather not ship my bottle to get it filled. Maybe N2O isn't the best way for me to go.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:04 AM

Actually, you have a couple of options. Yes, you can get larger bottles, like 15 or 20 lbs. Or you could mount 2 bottles w/ a "T" switch so you would always have a reserve. BTW, I am a crew member for a Top Sportsman race car that runs a 250-300 shot (depending on race conditions) direct port NOS system and we weigh all of our bottles to verify content volume, never relying solely on guage pressure.

Regarding putting nitrous on your present engine and upgrading when you get your 383, that is exactly what I am doing. My engine builder advised me to learn how to use nitrous on my 217,000 mile engine rather than on my new stroker motor. Seemed like the smart thing to do!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Serene
The guy that blew his house apart was a dumbass. He left the heater on all night. I dunno why the hell you would do that? It would drain your battery very quickly, not to mention heat the hell out of the bottle. 300 W heater would torture your battery. Just dont modify anything on the bottle and you will be fine. If the pressure builds up too high the burst disk will pop and vent the bottle to the outside of the car assuming you have the blowdown tube installed.
That's not what really happened...but it seems the story has been adulterated over the years. Some of us were around the day the car photos were first posted and involved in great discussion helping the guy figure out what went wrong. In the end, he stopped posting because several things came out that proved he was at fault. Very few people had any sympathy for him...other than the situation sucked, but he caused it himself.

What really happened was that he violated several specific statements in the manual. He had wired the heater to a constant 12v source, accidentally bumped the switch while cleaning the car, left it on (with the bottle closed so the pressure transducer was useless!) and went in to take a nap...a couple hours later his garage exploded and peeled the back of the car like a bananna. Had he not mis-assembled the blow-down tube (had 2 burst discs smashed together) he would have been fine and just had an empty bottle to replace. Then he tried to blame NX...I wonder what ever happened with the lawsuit...anyone know?

Moral of the story is that this was an extremely isolated incident and if you follow the directions and use it properly, you'll have no problems whatsoever. You have to exercise some common sense, READ and UNDERSTAND the directions and how it works.

And once the bottle is "empty" (i.e. no more liquid nitrous), there is plenty of compressed gas still present. A purge, decreased performance, or weighing the bottle, are your only methods of determining if the bottle is empty or not.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:43 AM

Cool, thanks for all the replies. I think if I were to get 2-20 pound bottles they would last me quite awhile. So how does the T switch work? Does it simply switch over to the full bottle when the first one is empty?
Old 12-30-2004, 06:53 PM

If your planning running N20 alot you might want to think of a diffrent power adder.

You are going to spend a lot of money filling 2-20 lbs bottles on avg. around $160.00 to fill them both. and if your running a 300 shot you will only get about 5-6 good runs per bottle. Then your looking at running two heaters unless you want to switch them back and forth. Plus mounting 2-20lbs bottles will take up any spare room you have.

I am not saying you shouldn't run N20, Just make sure you think about other options too.

Take it from me Nitrous is a great power adder but refilling bottles gets old after awhile. I could of had a nice s/c or turbo setup for what I have spent in refilling bottles. But then agian I wouldn't be running on a stock bottem end. So it does have it's pluses.