N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

With a Golen short block...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 04:17 PM

Cool With a Golen short block...

Never hurts to start researching early, so here's my thoughts:

Within the next 2 years I'll be pulling the (now 140k mi) LT1 out of my Camaro and throwing in one of these two short blocks, or at least something very similar to them:

383: http://www.golensengineservice.com/d...m?EngineID=117

396: http://www.golensengineservice.com/d...m?EngineID=118

It will probably be the bigger of the two, with a decent streetable cam. On top of that, I want to run one helluva nasty N2O system on this bad boy. I'm talking about the works, with all of the safetly percautions as well and the little toys to make it easy to use, as well and completely hidden (if possible). I want people to look under to the hood and see no N2O lines or anything, have everything under the manifold n such. Two big bottles in the trunk and all of the switches in the ashtray.

Now, I know that this is by no means cheap, and I'm willing to piece it together over time so that I have exactly what I want, and I'm not afraid to do custom work so that it truely is hidden.

What kind of system would I be looking at? The bigger the shot, the better, possibly a dual stage fogger system or something of the sort. I'm looking in the 200+hp range without question.

Now, inform me, teach me, flame me, do what you will. Just looking for some friendly pointers and advice. I have plenty of time to get everything straight. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:31 AM

Re: With a Golen short block...

Yo Ricky,
Sounds like a good plan, but I do have one question. Why do you want two big bottles in the trunk? Why not hidden? It doesn't make sense that you would hide the lines but not the bottle as well.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:51 PM

Rob...You have to remember, I have a convertible. The trunk is completely seperate from the rest of the car...no hatch here!
Old 09-03-2004, 01:55 PM

On another note, I was talking to a guy last night that has a lot of experience with N2O, and he recommended a low compression setup, like 8-8.5:1 with 1.5 rockers on the intake and 1.6 rockers on the exhaust due to the amount of spray I'll be using. I'll also need some serious octane fuel, unfortunately.

Comments?
Old 09-03-2004, 03:05 PM

I don't know why he'd recommend a low compression like that unless you also wanted boost on the motor. Nitrous likes higher compression. As for using the different rockers, you can just get a custom grind cam so you won't have to worry about that.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by stik6shift93
I don't know why he'd recommend a low compression like that unless you also wanted boost on the motor. Nitrous likes higher compression. As for using the different rockers, you can just get a custom grind cam so you won't have to worry about that.

That's true to a point. If one were building a motor to handle extremely large amounts of nitrous (in the 400-500+hp range) than a lower CR would be in order. Otherwise, I am in agreement with your statement.

Rich
Old 09-05-2004, 11:39 AM

The motor will probably only be running a 200-300 hp shot, somewhere in that area.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:48 PM

for the 2-300 shot,i would stay around 10-11:1 IMO<for better n/a responsiveness and times.
If you want under the manifold,NOS has a system,but you arent gonna get a dual stage under the manifold.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:29 PM

All of the nitrous websites seem to be really confusing...does anyone have any specific under the LT1 manifold kits? Links?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:08 AM

well i have a 396 with 13.6:1 compression and a 300 shot the only thing i see wrong with those engines is the rings you need to have them subistuite diffrent rings i went with je hns rings and have the gap larger
Old 09-14-2004, 11:49 AM

note that when you have a large gap in the rings your engine is going to be subject to blow by until the motor warms up and the gap closes. i wouldnt be to found of that. there are a couple of other types of rings that allow for the more ring expansion, but dont open a gap for blow by.

as for your kit, under the manifold is the most hidden IMO, but i was just looking at an impala that used a NOS 58mm tb and you couldnt see anything. so it is possible to hide it in other ways. also, for dual bottles, why? the plumbing is a pain, its expensive, and you dont gain any performance. if you are thinking about how long you can run the system, get to dual bottle mount, put all you lines and acc. on one bottle, and when you run out, switch the bottle over. with good openers running 200+, bottle heaters 200+, and we wont even go into stainless lines. just stick with one.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:27 PM

blow by hurts nothing and just like some people dont like how loose i have my clerence's but loose is fast rember that yeah i usualy pull my motor every 20 k to re bearing and re ring but when your making this kinda power its expected
Old 09-15-2004, 01:50 AM

amean94ta,
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of rwhp are we talking about with your car on the juice? Also what's your best times to date? Sounds like a very interesting car.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:32 AM

i dont know yet i have to meet up with rkrouse up at kenndys dyno tune to get this lt1 edit tuned on the dyno its a very tricky and picky motor i did do a 10.86 coasting to a whopping 89 mph cause the trans did not want to shift lol but i am hoping to run with the big guys taner/joe/harlan so lets say low 9's high 8's the only other measure i can tell you is i had a z06 next to me and within 3-4 sec i had about 10 cars on him going from a roll
Old 09-15-2004, 01:06 PM

blow by is ok if you like smoke when you start the motor. blow by has nothing to do with fast.

Quick Reply: With a Golen short block...