N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

4 Black spark plugs 4 clean plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 11:09 AM

Question 4 Black spark plugs 4 clean plugs??

I have a NX wet kit installed and mods in the sig. Well the other day I dynoed the car and was using the 150 fuel jets and the 100 nitrous jets. The car was way rich on the dyno 10.1 . So I went to the track the other night and installed the correct jets for the 75 shot. I made 2 N20 runs and about 3 N/A runs. The car did not act well with the Nitrous it really was not hitting hard at all. But after I made the 2 N20 runs the car really began to miss at low rpms. I went home and drove the car again and the miss was worse it missed through out the whole rpm range. So I pulled all the plugs this morning and all 4 on the passenger side were black as sut. Looked like the inside of a muffler. The drivers side was clean and looked perfect. I pulled the elblow and hit the nitous without the fuel and it was all spraying towards the side with the black plugs. Could this be the problem maybe getting all the fuel on 1 side. The only other thing was that I had run some leaded race gas could that have messed up maybe the passenger side 02 casuing it to load on one side?? What would cause on side to be so black is that a rich or fouled plug you think?? Sorry for such a long story but any advice is appreciated.

Later Jason
Old 11-03-2002, 08:10 PM

Re: 4 Black spark plugs 4 clean plugs??

Originally posted by jkbadz28
I pulled the elblow and hit the nitous without the fuel and it was all spraying towards the side with the black plugs. Could this be the problem maybe getting all the fuel on 1 side. The only other thing was that I had run some leaded race gas could that have messed up maybe the passenger side 02 casuing it to load on one side?? What would cause on side to be so black is that a rich or fouled plug you think?? Sorry for such a long story but any advice is appreciated.

Later Jason
The nozzel should be spraying right down the middle and sould be 4 in or so fron the TB....so yes thats why that side was fouled (rich) and the other side was clean(lean). Lucky you were running a smallshot, because I bet the clean side was too lean.

Leaded race fuel will deffinently kill your o2s.....you may need to replace those.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:15 AM

Re: 4 Black spark plugs 4 clean plugs??

Jason,
Stay "FAR AWAY" from the leaded stuff. O2's will suffer a quick death once they are coated. Its to bad we didnt live closer; I need someone to help me with finishing my car, and I could help with yours.

Jeff
www.street-legal.cz28.com
Old 11-06-2002, 04:10 PM

Definitely sounds like a dead O2. Hook a scanner up and it will probably show it to be dead.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:52 PM

Guys the o2 was dead. I bought a scanner today and replaced the 02. Car runs great now.

Later Jason
Old 11-07-2002, 07:46 AM

There you go; thats what I like to hear!!! Where did you buy the scanner from and how much?

I almost have the car ready to go. Things went pretty smooth last night believe it or not? All I have left to do is pass. side header gasket, flange gasket, and trim my right rear bumper cover for my 28" ET's. Then I need to test my line lock; which I will probably do in my driveway! Neighbors will LOVE that

Jeff
Old 11-07-2002, 10:29 AM

why didnt the check engine light come on? i have the sameproblem with it missing sometimes on the low side of the rpm range. haven pulled the plugs, but ive alrady got new tr6's.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:25 AM

My SES light did come on. I had already bought a new o2 before I got the Scanner. I figured it out with the onboard Scanmaster. The left side of the engine was fine but the right side was showing the PCM was adding tons of fuel and the only reason that it would do that would be cause the o2 was telling it was running lean and to add more fuel.

Jeff, I got the code scanner from Auto Zone. Its an Actron. Its really nice though they just came out with it, it displays the problem and the code # on the screen so there is no need for a book to look up the trouble code. They list for 149.99 but a friend of a freind hooked me up with a little discount . I really needed one went a head and got it. It was throwing a code PO151. That is a o2 sensor circuit low voltage code Bank 2 sensor 1. So thats was the side with the Black plugs. Jeff hope to see you in Darlington next weekend 11/16/02. Its been a long time since we have pushed some cars around. I don't no if I told you but the ol car went 7.5@ 89.9mph with a 1.62 60' on motor and now I have a NX wet kit installed looking for some better times. Of coarse you showed me a few tricks that night that I helped perform on your car that gained me a few tenths. Well take it easy and ttyl.

Later Jason