N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

175 shot- timing to be pulled?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 PM

175 shot- timing to be pulled?

I'm running 28 degrees total timing and when I spray 175 shot I'm pulling 3 degrees out( 110 octane)I have a few guys telling me I should atleast be pulling 6 degrees on spray. I've made atleast 8 passes with this setup and numerous kick downs on street and can't hear any detonation and plugs look fine. I was told @ the dyno over @ Speed Inc that performance wise when spraying it really doesn't hurt performance when you pull extra timing out.They like to pull out 10 degrees on a 150 shot but started with 30 degrees initially.; stick with what I have or should I pull more out, or is the old rule ( read the plugs) the best. help ol' wise ones!!!! lol

thx,
tim
Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 AM

If you are running 28 degrees, I can't see running any less than that. But how did you settle on just 28 degrees?

Rich
Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM

opti crapped (MSD, rotor came off)out on the dyno and haven't had a chance to get back to finish off tune
Old 06-06-2009, 08:56 AM

I am one that beleaves timing killls more motors on nitrous then being lean. I also think that the old "rich is safe" is also a parts killer. I will not give you a pull "2* per 50hp rule" either. My car likes around 35* timing on the motor. If I were to use the pull two degrees per 50hp I would have only pulled 16* on the run I made at the LTX shootout. I had the total timing of 12-13*.

There are two things that made me pull that much timing. I wasn't sure of the quality of the fuel I was using and I prefer to pull more check the pugs, lean it out and add timing while watching the mph pick up. If the mph did not pick up the car didn't need the timing.

Larry seen the pass I'm talking about.

Last edited by jakesz28; 06-07-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 PM

I don't think 99 percent of the guys on here lately know who Larry is. I do appreciate your reply even though it wasn't my question. How much where you using at the shootout? I can't remember if I read or noticed the amount stated in the videos.
I think I meet a neighbor of yours today (Joe) over at Larrys place of employment. Small world.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 AM

Well I don't know the whole combo. But my point was that it is safer to pull extra timing out until you read the plugs. As far as most of the people not knowing larry the first post mentioned speed inc otherwise I would have never mentioned larry. Sorry about that.
If the motor only has 28* timing because some timing is already being pulled you could be safe. If it is only has 28* because with more timing your getting spark knock your going to have to pull extra timing.

I hope that is a little more clear.

I sprayed about 350hp at the shootout.

Hopefully everything went well with joe's car. I looked it over a little before he went up there.

Last edited by jakesz28; 06-07-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jakesz28
Well I don't know the whole combo. But my point was that it is safer to pull extra timing out until you read the plugs. As far as most of the people not knowing larry the first post mentioned speed inc otherwise I would have never mentioned larry. Sorry about that.
If the motor only has 28* timing because some timing is already being pulled you could be safe. If it is only has 28* because with more timing your getting spark knock your going to have to pull extra timing.

I hope that is a little more clear.

I sprayed about 350hp at the shootout.

Hopefully everything went well with joe's car. I looked it over a little before he went up there.
Looks like Joes car still has issues. Larry seems to think it "might" be the torque converter.

To the OP, the same shop set my kit up and started it out with some extra timing pulled also. I have since put 2.5 degrees back in it (pluse a little 104)and it seems to like it. As mentioned though, it might be better to just play it safe. If you do put timing back in, do it knowing there is a risk involved. I have yet to pull the plugs myself and will not be doing any further experimenting without doing so.