Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

He's alive, but boyfriend accidentally shot himself!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 10:55 PM

Unhappy He's alive, but boyfriend accidentally shot himself!

My boyfriend owns two firearms: a Beretta handgun and a Russian SKS assault rifle. I was not fond of this hobby, firearms scare me. But I didn't complain because he doesn't shoot anything living, he just likes to target shoot. I didn't want to be one of those whiney girlfriends.

So today he was cleaning one of them (not sure which one but I think it was the Beretta) and I don't know how it happened but it discharged. That shot went through his window. After that he panicked and instead of putting the safety on he went to put it down and it discharged a second time, into his left thigh.

I found out when he called me from the ER about 6pm. Thank the Lord, the bullet missed his leg bone and the major leg artery, it's just a flesh wound. But he's in the hospital overnight and will be released tomorrow. I hope they stop the bleeding before they release him!

His Dad lives in Galesburg (which for those of you who don't know is about 15 minutes away from here). But he doesn't want his Dad to know about this accident yet, so he's going to stay at our house for a few days.

Any of you who own firearms: Please please please please please please be careful with them!!

Guys, I'm sorry, but I'm not coming to Stanton this Saturday. When is the next West Side get-together going to be?

------------------
~Rebecca
1995 Z28 "The Ride"
dark purple metallic
temporary picture of my ride

[This message has been edited by PurpleHaze95 (edited July 31, 2002).]
Old 07-31-2002, 11:45 PM
Eternal Member

Thank God he will be ok.
I was also shot with a 9mm. Two plain cloths cops thought I was someone else. I was 20 years old at the time and when they grabbed me I put up a fight. I didn't know they were cops. My heart stopped 3 times while the doc's were working on me. They had to get the jumper cables out to start my heart all three times. It took 2 years to recover from that. Sounds like he will have a fast recovery. Best wishes

------------------
87 IROC L98 700R4 A few mods. Best et 12.96 at 110 mph
All motor No NOS or Supercharger.
96 WS6 FORMULA Best et 13.5 at 105 mph
Old 08-01-2002, 12:44 AM

Chris, every time I hear that story it makes me ill. Being kicked in the head while on the ground handcuffed (ask me why) is nothing compared to your deal. I don't know what to say, I just had to say something.

Sorry I got off subject. Rebecca, I am glad your boyfreind will be ok. Did he forget the weapon was loaded? I have heard of this happening before.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:39 AM

Rebecca, I can only imagine the thoughts that went through your head when he called. It is very shocking news to hear of a loved one's injuries that are so serious. The best part is that HE is going to be fine and resume a normal life. Best wishes from me. I'll say a little prayer before I go to bed for his speedy recovery.

It is too bad that you will not be coming to Stanton this weekend. If you have never been there, you are missing out on quite a treat. It is one of the best tracks in Michigan from all the reports I hear. If you must be with your boyfriend, then thats the way it must be! We will have other gatherings assuredly. If you do decide to change your mind though, and he is not in too bad of shape, you are more than welcome to still attend

Best wishes!
-Brad
Old 08-01-2002, 07:16 AM

If rebecca is not coming, is anyone going to step up to the plate and bring a mini grille and the mustard and ketchup? Just a thought, not to sound shallow. But she was the one bringing that stuff

------------------
Arrest ME Red 1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible
just a chip and a muffler, well maybe some headers
http://home.attbi.com/~mycamaro/
Old 08-01-2002, 09:08 AM

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RedIrocZ-28:
It is too bad that you will not be coming to Stanton this weekend. If you have never been there, you are missing out on quite a treat. It is one of the best tracks in Michigan from all the reports I hear. If you must be with your boyfriend, then thats the way it must be! We will have other gatherings assuredly. If you do decide to change your mind though, and he is not in too bad of shape, you are more than welcome to still attend </font>
Well, we'll see how he's feeling. Maybe if he's well enough we'll still come up to Stanton. Or maybe we'll come to Hooters on Friday night instead. We'll see. I'd really like to come meet you all, but when I was getting over my wisdom teeth he passed on the chance to go up north with his best friend because I couldn't go. So I feel that I should stay with him. ...Besides, I think he'll be staying at my house!

We'll just have to wait and see...

------------------
~Rebecca
1995 Z28 "The Ride"
dark purple metallic
temporary picture of my ride
Old 08-01-2002, 10:21 AM
Exposed Member

Thumbs down

He was cleaning a loaded gun?!?!?

Was he trying to win a Darwin award or something?

Sux that he shot himself, but that's just stupid.

------------------
Tom
1997 30th Aniv. SS &lt;&lt;383 Cubes of Nitrous Huffing Power!
1990 Mustang Notchback &lt;&lt;Project... Sold!
2FASST.com &lt;&lt;&lt; Holy s***! It's really here?!?!
Motown Muscle &lt;&lt;&lt; Dedicated to today's musclecar!
"...Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!"
Old 08-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Eternal Member

Well hows he doing today? Did he tell his dad yet. Might as well get it over with.

Thanks Dr Weir. That was 28 years ago but you never forget. Just want to say not all cops are bad but there are too many bad ones out there.

Case take a pill. I am sure he feels bad enough already.

------------------
87 IROC L98 700R4 A few mods. Best et 12.96 at 110 mph
All motor No NOS or Supercharger.
96 WS6 FORMULA Best et 13.5 at 105 mph

[This message has been edited by Chris Ja (edited August 01, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Ja (edited August 01, 2002).]
Old 08-02-2002, 08:21 AM

Thumbs up

Reb... glad he is okay but like Tom says... cleaning a loaded gun? Thats just asking for trouble.

Come on gun owners, clean 'em while they are EMPTY!! Just common sense!

Anyway... GLAD he is just hurting and not dead!!

HInk