Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Best wire wheel / set up for Underbody scuff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:55 PM

Best wire wheel / set up for Underbody scuff?

gonna scuff my undercarraige next friday, and POR15 it, not in bad shape, just starting to get the normal 10 year old **** going on, want to knock it out while i have the time

I was just wondering what type of wire wheel / and drive device is best, i have access to a small air powered hand grinder, or maybe use an electric angle grinder, just wondering which wheel is best? trying to do this as quickly as possible seeing as how its one of the last "Elective" things i have to do.

thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 07:19 PM

I bought some on sale @ Meijers, they woill go on a drill & or the air powered. It worked great. They were the cone style, and the wheel kind. Used the wheel for big areas, and then the cone for tight spots. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 PM

motha F'er, I responded to this this morning. anyways, are you goin to just be removing undercoating/builtup oil and stuff, or removing surface rust and goin to repaint under there also? if rust and repaint, then Id recomend the 3m rust/paint removing wheel. its like a honeycomb material and will wear off and get smaller as you go. so it stays shart. unlike wire wheel that will eventually fold over. but a really stiff wire wheel would work decent too for the most part. but if the undercoating is thick, you can remove it with a heat gun and a scraper, then use paint thinner to remove the rest on a bunch of paper towels. it'll remove the undercoating and leave the paint alone and it'll look like the paints brand new underthere. Id suggest using the elec. drill unless you have a large air compresser, like at least a 20 gal. tank but prefereably a 60gal tank. it'll be on all the time though. thats why Id suggest an elec. dril instead. plus, you can get alot of extra use out of the wire wheel when it starts to wear out and fold over by reversing the drill.
have fun.