Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

Best tranny shop in Rochester?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 03:19 PM

Question Best tranny shop in Rochester?

I finally got my car out. The synchros didn't fix themselves over the winter, so I need to get them reaplaced. I'm probably going to be buying upgraded parts from D&D transmission, but need someone to install them. What is the best local shop/person for this type of work?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:12 PM

I would just send it to D&D personally....they KNOW what they are doing and their labor is a flat rate...no suprises. Worth it just in insurance that you would be getting a perfect rebuild instead of taking the chance on someone local that probably has no experience with the T56.

Shipping is pretty cheap each way.
Jason
Old 05-19-2003, 08:35 PM

You could also do it yourself.

Dave
Old 05-20-2003, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the response Jason. I was really hoping to get it done locally, so that if there was a mistake they could go back and fix it. Everybody makes mistakes, even D&D, and I don't want to have to ship a tranny back and forth to MI to things straightened out. Did you ever find a car?
Prince,
I would love to do it myself, but unfortunately I'm living in an apartment for the time being (waiting for the wife to get a job before we get a house) and don't have a good place to fix it. I would like to find someone who would let me look over their shoulder and learn, so that next year when it needs another rebuild I can do it.
Anybody else? It seems like there should be at least one good tranny shop in Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by BlackWS-6
Thanks for the response Jason. I was really hoping to get it done locally, so that if there was a mistake they could go back and fix it. Everybody makes mistakes, even D&D, and I don't want to have to ship a tranny back and forth to MI to things straightened out. Did you ever find a car?
Prince,
I would love to do it myself, but unfortunately I'm living in an apartment for the time being (waiting for the wife to get a job before we get a house) and don't have a good place to fix it. I would like to find someone who would let me look over their shoulder and learn, so that next year when it needs another rebuild I can do it.
Anybody else? It seems like there should be at least one good tranny shop in Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse.
I will check with my friend Bob, who has been in the local car business in the Buffalo area for ~40years. He is very critical, so he probably won't like anyone's work, but I'll ask him. Most shops do not want you looking over their shoulder though.

Rich Krause
Old 05-20-2003, 03:54 PM

Thanks Rich.
I didn't figure any shops would let me look over their shoulder, but I thought maybe one of the local F-body guys might have enough knowledge to do something like this. I would work with them to gain the knowledge for next time and they would get a nice chunk of change.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by BlackWS-6
Thanks Rich.
I didn't figure any shops would let me look over their shoulder, but I thought maybe one of the local F-body guys might have enough knowledge to do something like this. I would work with them to gain the knowledge for next time and they would get a nice chunk of change.
Bob doesn't recommend anyone local. He say THE place to go for Tremec is Hanlon Motorsports in PA at 610-469-2695 or http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

Rich Krause
Old 05-21-2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by rskrause
Bob doesn't recommend anyone local. He say THE place to go for Tremec is Hanlon Motorsports in PA at 610-469-2695 or http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

Rich Krause
I think they actually get their parts from D&D. When I rebuilt mine, I called both Bob and John (at P&J's), they both reffered me to Hanlon, Hanlon inturn reffered me to D&D Performance.

Dave
Old 05-23-2003, 08:22 AM

D&D is not that much farther away than Hanlon so I would definitely go with D&D.
I'm very surprised that there is not a single respectable shop in or near Rochester that can rebuild a T56. Is there really that much to it? I guess I'm glad I didn't try to do it myself.
Thanks for your help guys.